May 27, 2018, 01:15:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to build traps  (Read 830 times)
TripleK-D

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »

So....instead of buying a trap I would like to build a couple. I have experience building other types of fish and minnow traps. I have looked into the regulations and have a good reference on this site as to build them. My problem is finding decent material in citrus county florida. I cannot find anything that is coated, it is all galvanized. So then I went online and have found materials but wow I don't need or want 150'. So what do you guys use? Galvanized and anodes? How long will a galvanized trap last in saltwater? Thanks for your time
BrentWayne

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »

Hey TripleK,
Have you given any thoughts to ring traps?  I was running into the same situation when I decided I was going to build my own and decided to build ring traps instead...  I feel the space savings of the ring trap design was a much bigger issue for me as I only have a 17' boat and usually have 4 people (2kids) and it gets tight really fast.  In addition, the amount of material and cost was much more than the wire traps.  I spent about $90.00 and have made 12 traps so far, with enough leftover to make another 15-20 or so.  They work awesome and have pulled in a ton of crabs.  How many traps are you planning on making?  If only a couple, I would suggest checking out knotting your own ring traps... 
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »

So....instead of buying a trap I would like to build a couple. I have experience building other types of fish and minnow traps. I have looked into the regulations and have a good reference on this site as to build them. My problem is finding decent material in citrus county florida. I cannot find anything that is coated, it is all galvanized. So then I went online and have found materials but wow I don't need or want 150'. So what do you guys use? Galvanized and anodes? How long will a galvanized trap last in saltwater? Thanks for your time
I use both.  Galvanized 1 inch for peeler pots and vinyl for hard crab pots.  The vinyl way out lasts the galvanized.  Galvanized will last 3-4 seasons in constant use.  Here is the rub...  The galvanized wire at the big box stores isn't any good for pots.  Crab pot wire is galvanized after the wire is twisted (manufactured).  The hardware chicken wire is galvanized wire that is twisted. You can tell by looking at the twists. The twist on crab pot wire is completely coated.  Galvanized pot wire is about  80-90 bucks for a 100 ft. roll here.  A roll will build 10 pots if you have them cut it for 4 funnels.  

Here is "how to" thats here on the BAC info -> https://www.bluecrab.info/crabpot/index.html  You can click on the little crab at the bottom oeach page to open the Info section. Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
TripleK-D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »

We have used the ring traps off the side of the pier. With very good success. I was wanting to set out a couple traps and then run them every couple days. Most traps I find in stores are 30-50 bucks. They are set up with the escape rings and bait box and everything to be legal here in florida. I like to make things myself when it makes sense to do so. Which in this case if I buy the wire I would have have 2 1/2 prebuilt traps. I have searched everywhere for coated wire though locally.
      Maybe I should use galvanize and see how much I do this.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »

We have used the ring traps off the side of the pier. With very good success. I was wanting to set out a couple traps and then run them every couple days. Most traps I find in stores are 30-50 bucks. They are set up with the escape rings and bait box and everything to be legal here in florida. I like to make things myself when it makes sense to do so. Which in this case if I buy the wire I would have have 2 1/2 prebuilt traps. I have searched everywhere for coated wire though locally.
      Maybe I should use galvanize and see how much I do this.
Oh yeah.. I didn't mention culling rings and bait boxes..  The wire for bait boxes is different from pot wire.. In both types of pots.  Also  there is the cost of bracing wire for the galvanized pots.   Lot more to it then just a roll of wire.  Wait,  don't forget frames and zinc's. Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

D3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:11:02 PM »

W.A. Davidson in Jacksonville will ship it to you. They sell everything you need.

There's a few places here that probably would as well but the shipping would probably be a lot.
Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »

I think what you want to build is called a "pot" up here while a trap is a smaller contraction that you check frequently like the ring traps you used, we wouldn't leave a trap out overnight. It is confusing since a "pot" is more of a trap than a trap is. Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home