May 23, 2018, 02:51:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing license for young child to keep second bushel  (Read 963 times)
shedhunta

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »

My favorite crabbing buddy is my almost 5 year old son.  He helps throw out traps but can not pull them or dip the trotline quite yet.  He just loves being in the water with me.  I was thinking next year he may be big enough to participate and looked at dnr site to see if he could get a license.  I was surprised to see anyone under 16 can buy a license and catch their bushel.  I would never do this until he could actually participate but I bet people take advantage of it.  A few times we have been out together and got a quick bushel and could legally continue if he had it.  Wonder how DNR would react to a toddler on boat with a license.  I bet not so well. 

Just thought I would bring it up for conversation
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »

dosen't matter how a DNR officer would react due to the fact that the law allows this, most of the newer officers don't know the laws anyway so stand your ground if you have to.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »

My favorite crabbing buddy is my almost 5 year old son.  He helps throw out traps but can not pull them or dip the trotline quite yet.  He just loves being in the water with me.  I was thinking next year he may be big enough to participate and looked at dnr site to see if he could get a license.  I was surprised to see anyone under 16 can buy a license and catch their bushel.  I would never do this until he could actually participate but I bet people take advantage of it.  A few times we have been out together and got a quick bushel and could legally continue if he had it.  Wonder how DNR would react to a toddler on boat with a license.  I bet not so well. 

Just thought I would bring it up for conversation

As long as you have a child's PFD, really nothing they could complain about. The laws work if applied correctly for crabbers.  And yes, it's an advantage if he has a crab license.

Does he like eating crabs too?
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »

Sounds legit. Nothing they can do

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
shedhunta

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »

As long as you have a child's PFD, really nothing they could complain about. The laws work if applied correctly for crabbers.  And yes, it's an advantage if he has a crab license.

Does he like eating crabs too?

He loves eating crabs.  Last trip when we only caught a few and I gave them to our guest on boat.  It was funny how pissed he was when he asked me when we were going to eat the crabs we caught.  

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »

He loves eating crabs.  Last trip when we only caught a few and I gave them to our guest on boat.  It was funny how pissed he was when he asked me when we were going to eat the crabs we caught.  

That is funny.  At 5, I might have gotten mad too.  Now I just make a face when my wife gives some to our elderly neighbors across the street. I get over it though, because it's the right thing to do.  They don't get out to crab anymore.
SteveL

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »

It is completely legal and above board to license a young crabber on the boat so you can keep over a bushel.  My son got his first crabbing license when he was around 6 or so for that exact reason and ever since we have always purchased one for him (he is 19 now). 

The language in the reg talks about boat limits based on number of licensed crabbers onboard; there is no mention of minimum age to be licensed.

In all those years we have rarely kept over a bushel, we usually don't need much more than one, but its nice to have the ability to keep more than one and up to 2 bushels if you get into great crabbing.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:41:53 PM »

It is completely legal and above board to license a young crabber on the boat so you can keep over a bushel.  My son got his first crabbing license when he was around 6 or so for that exact reason and ever since we have always purchased one for him (he is 19 now). 

The language in the reg talks about boat limits based on number of licensed crabbers onboard; there is no mention of minimum age to be licensed.

In all those years we have rarely kept over a bushel, we usually don't need much more than one, but its nice to have the ability to keep more than one and up to 2 bushels if you get into great crabbing.
Great logic and thanks for not taking more then you need just because you can. A true sportsman. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼🦀🦀🦀

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home