June 23, 2018, 12:01:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sit and Grind or Run and Gun?  (Read 1731 times)
CocoCrab

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

I'd like to know from all you salty crabbers your approach/philosophy to setting your gear (whether line or trap):  I am restless, so if I don't have a good run on my line after a couple tries (say 30min-1 hr); I pick up my line and go.  I've gotten pretty efficient at picking up 600' and laying back out - depending on how far I move, I can do it in about 10-15 minutes.  I'll move a line up to 4 different times in a session. Clearly I haven't found a good spot to just camp right off the bat. Of course, by moving, I never know if it picked up after I left.

Just curious about your approach - do you wait it out in one place, or do you tend to yank the gear and relocate until you hit paydirt?

Thanks!

CocoCrab
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »

I'd like to know from all you salty crabbers your approach/philosophy to setting your gear (whether line or trap):  I am restless, so if I don't have a good run on my line after a couple tries (say 30min-1 hr); I pick up my line and go.  I've gotten pretty efficient at picking up 600' and laying back out - depending on how far I move, I can do it in about 10-15 minutes.  I'll move a line up to 4 different times in a session. Clearly I haven't found a good spot to just camp right off the bat. Of course, by moving, I never know if it picked up after I left.

Just curious about your approach - do you wait it out in one place, or do you tend to yank the gear and relocate until you hit paydirt?

Thanks!

Bottom line is if you finally start catching more crabs then the 1st lay, you did good.  If you still aren't catching, then you wonder. Most crabbers I talk to say it's the tide that gives you more catching ability. I've stayed in one spot waiting for the tide to start moving.  Hitting paydirt is awesome, especially if you are short on patience or time, LOL.
First Light

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:36 PM »

PM sent ,check your messages Smiley
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:39:05 AM »

i did the sit and grind crabbin this past weekend for 2 days although i did move a couple lines around the same area and it never did turn on unless you consider 14 crabs a run on 3800 ft of clams on. I ended both days with 3/4 bu of nice crabs just not enough, i hear the bite is off allot of places around the bay. may be time to take a weekend off.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »

nice catch

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:50:54 PM »

i did the sit and grind crabbin this past weekend for 2 days although i did move a couple lines around the same area and it never did turn on unless you consider 14 crabs a run on 3800 ft of clams on. I ended both days with 3/4 bu of nice crabs just not enough, i hear the bite is off allot of places around the bay. may be time to take a weekend off.

I tried to sit this past weekend too and I did notice that it ebbed and flowed a bit.  For example, I would have zero on a couple runs of a line and then the next two runs would have a mess of crabs all in a 100' section - as if they were cruising around in small schools.  Very interesting - just never know.  Thanks!

CocoCrab
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »

I use traps. I never let a trap sit more than 3 runs if it comes up empty they aren't biting there. So simple to move them to an area where the bite is on. Experience tells me at slack tide the bite slows so that is figured into the day. I don't think crabs are sitting in a recliner watchin Springer all day and they move around quite a bit. Go git um!

A day on the water adds a day to life.
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »

I  use traps , and  I will generally give them 3 runs, before moving .  Most of the times I have been out this year the first run is best then seems to slow down, if half way through 3rd run and it looks unproductive I will move .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home