February 20, 2018, 02:31:59 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eclipse crabbing Augustine Beach 08-21-17  (Read 938 times)
divedeeep

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »

So the family wanted to see the eclipse...so I said.."lets watch it out on the wide open Delaware River"...they all agreed that would be exciting.  We were to launch in Newport but decided to drive to Augustine Beach and launch from there instead...the family have never seen it and I used to swim there as a kid 40 years ago!  We packed a cooler with lunch and brought a dozen chicken necks to try our luck at hand lining for a few crabs...this was not to be a serious crabbing trip......when we arrived at the ramp I noticed right away it was windy, never a good sign for the Delaware....we ventured out anyway and crossed the Delaware to the Jersey side...anchored up close the the shore to shelter us from the wind and waves and there we sat waiting for the eclipse to happen....laid out just two and lines as I only had two sinkers with me to attach to the necks to get them to sink to the bottom...no weight and they just drifted.  There was plenty of action as we brought up many crabs on just two lines....several were breeding pairs!  The wife and kids loved it even though all the crabs were small...all went back into the river to grow bigger....I'd say there are plenty of crabs there now but many undersized crabs.....we played music, laughed, celebrated my son's 16th birthday with a cake and saw the eclipse...great family day on the water with a hairy crossing back to Augustine as the winds and waves grew bigger at the end of the day....make back safe though!
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »

first time hand lining for the wife
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »

Steady!
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »

Success
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »

It didn't even get dark!

Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:38:28 AM »

Even though you crabbing catch was poor, thanks for posting your photos.

BTW, it didn't get dark where I live in Texas, but 7 years from now there will be another total eclipse and in Texas where Iive, we're in the path of totality so it will get dark even if there is cloud cover.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »

That's an awesome way to spend some time with family to watch the Eclipse. Way to go Matt.  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I know all about that rough river when that wind kicks up. Last two trips it made it too difficult to crab in the places I wanted to.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »

great pic's

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
divedeeep

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:24:37 AM »

Even though you crabbing catch was poor, thanks for posting your photos.

BTW, it didn't get dark where I live in Texas, but 7 years from now there will be another total eclipse and in Texas where Iive, we're in the path of totality so it will get dark even if there is cloud cover.

I want to see totality so I'm gonna drive to it this time.....even though a good 75% of the sun was blocked you'd never know there was an eclipse going on here in Delaware

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home