February 20, 2018, 04:09:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: claw meat sticking in shell  (Read 1630 times)
I M CRABBY

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »

I usually steam all my crabs at once. this could be 1/2 to 3/4 of a bushel if I am lucky. I went from 28 minutes steaming to 20 and found the same problem. The body meat is always perfect. Any. tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming this happens from being overcooked?
crabbrgrabbr
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:43:32 AM »

I have experienced the same problem with the claws only. My thought is that I have held the crabs in a chilled cooler and they are actually beginning to starve before I cook them. Some of my crabs have been held for as long as three days before cooking and were still very active, so they were definitely not dead before cooking. It would be nice to get feedback from members who have a had similar results and can say what the problem may be.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »

Some times mine sticks and other times it comes out perfect. Really don't have a clue why. If they are overcooked, it might be a reason. Maybe the liquid volume or what liquids you use? I use more water(12 cups) then vinegar(6cups).  Some use beer also.

When it sticks, I just use a pointed knife and scrap it out.  I've never chilled crabs, always steam them right away or put then in the cool basement to steam later(no more then a day).
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »

I definitely believe that the claw meat sticks because the crabs are overcooked. Doesn't mean they are cooked to death, just slightly is all it takes and it only happens to the heavy, packed crabs. Having them in a walk-in or other refrigeration for a couple of days definitely dries them out and adds to the problem. Also, cooked crabs that have been refrigerated for a couple of days after they were steamed (left overs) dry out quite a bit and stick. I normally soak all of my crabs in a laundry sink for about an hour to allow them to purge out before steaming.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »

If I plan on picking the crabs for making crab cakes, I always boil them. Meat picks easier and comes out in firmer lumps.
You are right about the heavy crabs sticking. The lighter crab claws come out easy. Score one for the lights.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:42:56 AM »

I agree. The higher molecular density of the meat in a heavier crab causes the meat to stick easier especially in an over cooked crab . I use a crab knife to pick the meat out. They look like a small butter knife.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:30:34 AM »

I agree. The higher molecular density of the meat in a heavier crab causes the meat to stick easier especially in an over cooked crab . I use a crab knife to pick the meat out. They look like a small butter knife.

Always have the mallet and knife with me when eating crabs.  I've seen some folks who have their names on the knife.  Some carry it with them. Part of the crab eating culture.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »

I think that maybe the chilled before cooking might be a clue.
I've never had that problem with Blue Crabs but with Stone Crab claws I have.
Down here it's well known not to put the claws on ice before cooking because the meat will stick to the shell.

Retired in paradise!
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

I have had times where I'll steam a couple of dozen of them. Half of them will have fluid come out when you pull the meat out and the meat doesn't stick. Half will be dry and stick. I thought maybe the ones lower in the pot have cooked more.
I M CRABBY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »

Thank you all for your replys. I usually cook my crabs within hours of catching them. If I switch to boiling would that make a difference? In an unrelated note does perfectionist Jim sell his rings? I like to use rings in my set when using perch or bunker. I had an old timer give me 3 but they are pretty beat up. If Jim sends me a message I will surely reply. 

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

Thank you all for your replys. I usually cook my crabs within hours of catching them. If I switch to boiling would that make a difference? In an unrelated note does perfectionist Jim sell his rings? I like to use rings in my set when using perch or bunker. I had an old timer give me 3 but they are pretty beat up. If Jim sends me a message I will surely reply. 

there is a link to his website in his posts.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »

Thank you all for your replys. I usually cook my crabs within hours of catching them. If I switch to boiling would that make a difference?

Certainly boiling makes a difference, the whole crab is definitely wetter. You should try a few before you cook your whole catch that way. Capt. Ron on here is from around N.O. and can give you the directions. They're still good boiled, just different!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home