October 17, 2018, 02:11:59 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: commerical crabbing boat  (Read 3676 times)
Crab Buzzard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

Does anyone know of a good commercial line fiberglass boat that I could use mostly for trot lining. One 20ft or so that I can trailer .

BUZ
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »

Carolina Skiffs are popular because they are square with a lot of room , you can put the console on the side for trotlining, they are stable and cheap but will pound  and give you a shower in a chop because of their flat bottom. That's the trade off. If you want to save some money and can take some pain that's one option. Otherwise get a modified V for stability and a drier, softer ride . Something like a C Hawk, Sou Wester , Parker, etc. Just make sure you get a side console for trotlining and hand dipping.
Crab Buzzard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »

Thanks I have a 20ft jon I am using now any little wind and forget it it is all over the place.

BUZ
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »

I use my 20' CC for everything, Crabbing, fishing, and joy rides. Little crowded for this rec, but it paid for many years ago and still in decent shape.  Run a 600' TL and rings off it. Deep vee with a 130 Evinrude for power. Use a 5gallon bucket to slow it down to the right speed running the line.

You have the right idea, just not sure how much gear you can have on the boat. I see folks using Parkers  for crabbing. Some even have the auto dipper.  

Just last week I saw a 20 fiberglass boat that looked to be a recreational boat being used for pulling crab pots. They were power washing the pots on the water too.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »

If you can find an older Cheasapeake Classic they are ideal for comm crabbin. I run a 24 Ches Classic and they are great boats. 9 ft wide rub rail to rub rail and 8 ft wide on the deck, i have a small console to the side instead of center and have trotlined by my self for about 7 years with this boat, i also added a canopy 8.5 wide and 13.5 long. I think they also made a 20 or 22 version. i recently seen one on deadrise for sale but while it's the same hull it has a cabin which was an option. buzzerd where in md are you located? i keep my boat on a trailer.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »

If you can find an older Cheasapeake Classic they are ideal for comm crabbin. I run a 24 Ches Classic and they are great boats. 9 ft wide rub rail to rub rail and 8 ft wide on the deck, i have a small console to the side instead of center and have trotlined by my self for about 7 years with this boat, i also added a canopy 8.5 wide and 13.5 long. I think they also made a 20 or 22 version. i recently seen one on deadrise for sale but while it's the same hull it has a cabin which was an option. buzzerd where in md are you located? i keep my boat on a trailer.

Rdbeard

Have you had any issues trailering the boat with it being 9'?  Any concerns of Over-wide"?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »

D, i really don't travel much with the boat since i live 1/2 block from my ramp. With that being said i have trailered to thompsons creek a couple times and to grasonville when i bought the new Suk and never had a problem, the previous owner said he traveled often to Ches. beach to fisn and was never pulled over. I was actully more worried when my son and i bought the canopy near easton and had to bring it home on a double jetski trailer, the canopy being almost road level was so wide i couldn't see the lines but once i got across the bb i knew we would be ok.
Hardshell Tony

Anyone who has crabs lacks nothing.Crabs r enough

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »

Any opinions on a C Hawk 20'
double E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »

Any opinions on a C Hawk 20'
Cant go wrong with that choice!
Crab U Later

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »

I run a 19 carolina skiff it's a great boat does beat you up a little when it gets bumpy and has some spray. Has a good amount of room and very stable.

Crab Buzzard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »

I live in north Harford county so I have to trailer were ever I go. I had a DNR officer tell me about a Judge does anyone know about them?

BUZ
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »

I live in north Harford county so I have to trailer were ever I go. I had a DNR officer tell me about a Judge does anyone know about them?

Built in Denton, Maryland.

I think it's all composite, no wood.

The bigger boats are built light for maximum speed. Don't know about the smaller ones.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

Judge Boats are pretty pricey also but built solid, they even have a model called the 22 ft crabber.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

It looks like Judge builds the 22 Shoreman crabber in two hull designs. I would avoid the full transom model with extended outboard bracket. If you get your trot line caught in the outboard propeller you'll likely have to go overboard to untangle it. Transom mounts are also more difficult to control in reverse like in backing into a slip. They steer fine in forward though. A full transom doesn't have a notched out transom and wave gate to ship water out the stern quickly if you are taking on water like in a storm. I would opt for the notched out transom with wave gate .
badhabit

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »

I bought a old 23 c-hawk and redid it this past winter. I put new stringers,new deck and new transom. I put a bracket on the transom. I love the boat so far.

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »

If you don't encounter any of the  things mentioned above you should be fine .
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »

D, i really don't travel much with the boat since i live 1/2 block from my ramp. With that being said i have trailered to thompsons creek a couple times and to grasonville when i bought the new Suk and never had a problem, the previous owner said he traveled often to Ches. beach to fisn and was never pulled over. I was actully more worried when my son and i bought the canopy near easton and had to bring it home on a double jetski trailer, the canopy being almost road level was so wide i couldn't see the lines but once i got across the bb i knew we would be ok.

cool and thanks.  mine is the 9 1/2' wide and was thinking of getting the yearly over-wide permit.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »

cool and thanks.  mine is the 9 1/2' wide and was thinking of getting the yearly over-wide permit.
I used t trailer a 9.5 wide boat to OC every spring and back in the fall. Those permits were expensive . But If you want to stay on the crabs you have to go to them.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »

I used t trailer a 9.5 wide boat to OC every spring and back in the fall. Those permits were expensive . But If you want to stay on the crabs you have to go to them.

I was quoted yearly permit for $300 or single shot at $50.  Less then my commercial license fees.

reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »

I was quoted yearly permit for $300 or single shot at $50.  Less then my commercial license fees.

There are time restrictions on those permits. I believe you can't move an over width on holidays and after 12 noon on Saturdays.

And need over width signs on the trailer.

What boat do you have?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home