October 23, 2018, 07:34:36 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab legs meat?  (Read 4797 times)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »

Anybody else squeeze the meat out of the crab's legs. On the bigger, packed crabs, I squeeze the meat to eat at times. Also the knuckle on the back fin has meat in it to .  Crazy or not, you can get a nice pile of leg meat from crabs.

It's raining today here in Pasadena, so I'm bored.
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »

Every last drop. 
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

i aways eat the leg meat

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »

That is some of the sweetest and tastiest meat.
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »

Absolutely Wink  don't waste a thing Shocked   It's all part of the fun.  Sometimes the knuckle on the flipper delivers a NICE chunk of meat.  However I don't do the legs on the White Bellys

Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »

my youngest will do every last leg - doesn't matter the size or how meaty they are.  After she is done it's just truly an empty shell.  She works the paddles too...there's nothing there - but she just feels so accomplished lol.

I have to admit I don't have the patience.  It depends if i've caught the crabs (or bought).  If caught then yeah.  if bought - it depends on the size and quality.

I've never tried the knuckles/paddles.  I will give it a go next time!
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »

I run every bit of my crab shells and fish waste/bones/guts through my wood chipper right into my compost pile.  Compost goes into the garden each spring.  Crab shells are very good natural fertilizer.

Git 'r dun!
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »

The only time I don't eat the crab legs is when they're all dried out the next day(s).
Anybody have any tips for keeping them moist???

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »

The only time I don't eat the crab legs is when they're all dried out the next day(s).
Anybody have any tips for keeping them moist???

I picked leftover crabs Monday that were steamed last Thursday. Most did not dry out so leg meat was possible for some. I always put the leftover crabs in  plastic bags from the grocery store. The bag is always wet with moisture from the crabs. At times, the moisture leaks on the shelf. Enough to puddle.

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »

Evinrude:

My wife and I while on vacation with with 2 of my sons, Grandson and his wife caught 7 bushels of crabs in 2 days. You ask a very good question about the crab legs. The wife and I always get the meat out of all of those crab legs, this was a banner year for us after squeezing the meat from all of those 7 bushels of crab we came up with a little over 2 lbs of the sweetest crab meat in a crab besides his claws. We like to make crab salad with this meat. Whenever I am at a Crab feast I never throw the legs away, I even asked if I could take the crab legs home with me and I was never turned down. It is time consuming but the rewards are really worth it.. I have a way of doing it pretty fast if two of us is working at it. YES WE EAT ALL OF THE CRAB MEAT THAT WE CAN GET OUT OF HIM !

BOB G

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

wag
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

yes  ------   every leg & swimmers   

---> Louisiana <---
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does it. Most folks make a face when they see me doing it. They claim it's not worth the effort, SMH.

My wife and I get the same faces when we eat lobsters too. Not many folks pinch those legs for meat. Plus there is meat in the body section. Crack open just like crabs and pick the meat out.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »

I also always get the most meat I can from crabs and lobsters including roe from females. devil smash
When I am done the ants flip me the bird cause there is none left for them! wall veryangry2
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:28:54 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »

The legs and claws are appetizers while the main course of crab cakes is in the oven. There is a bit of sweet meat in every part of the leg with the darkest meat in the end joint.
I also bag the shells from the legs and claws for my neighbor who is animal control dude around these parts. Raccoons jump in the live traps for a taste!

A day on the water adds a day to life.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »

The legs and claws are appetizers while the main course of crab cakes is in the oven. There is a bit of sweet meat in every part of the leg with the darkest meat in the end joint.
I also bag the shells from the legs and claws for my neighbor who is animal control dude around these parts. Raccoons jump in the live traps for a taste!

OCNAAT :

AWESOME sounds like a winner 2 me .

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

capt crab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »

Hey BG I know your telling the truth U told me Yesterday.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »

ALWAYS eat legs. All meat in crab is edible.
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »

I'll eat it on bigger crabs, not worth the time on the typical Delaware crab. Same with claw meat on crayfish.
Crabnut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

Nothing I hate worse is too see anyone waste any edible part of a crab.  You wont get a repeat invite to one of my crab feasts if you don't "finish" a crab.  Its one thing when its a newbie or child that doesn't know better.  Then I try and show them the proper way and will cut them some slack if they put forth an honest effort.  True story.
My wife bugged me for most of the summer  to let her invite a few coworkers and their spouses over for a feast.   It was late in the season and the crabs were primo.  Big fat yellow bellys that 6-8 would fill you up if you cleaned them out. One coworker in particular kept bragging to us about her husband was able to eat a half a bushel of crabs by himself.   I hadn't payed any attention until one of my grandkids politely pointed out to him that your missing one of the best parts by not eating the legs and claws.  He replies by telling us that he didn't touch them, its too much work. I like to take my time picking crabs and probably average one every ten minutes  (picking them for meat is a different story). I had eaten two and was working on the third and look over and both him and his wife were into double digits each. These fools were leaving more meat in the crabs for the trash pile than they had eaten.  Even the backfins were only partially picked.  I bluntly told them that anyone can open up a half a bushel of crabs but cleaning and eating all of the meat without wasting such a precious resource would impress me a whole lot more.  All was quiet for a minute and the guy has the nerve to reply I really don't like picking crabs and the sooner I get done the better.  That's when my granddaughter pipes up and says "I guess you wont be coming back again for crabs".   
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »

I totally love that story. There are three people who will NEVER eat crabs with me again for the same reason. After being warned, one even did it for spite. I picked up all the crabs on the table, including the one he was eating, and threw them back in the fridge. I said, "crab night is over". Then as they got up from the table, I continued my feast by picking through what they called a scrap pile. Never again.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home