August 19, 2018, 03:52:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EzPass with trailer  (Read 2118 times)
Danhosk1

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:02:33 AM »

Does anyone know if you are allowed to use an EzPass when trailering? Do you get a discounted rate for each additional axle?  Their website makes me think not but I've had multiple people tell me that it is discounted.
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:17:34 AM »

Does anyone know if you are allowed to use an EzPass when trailering? Do you get a discounted rate for each additional axle?  Their website makes me think not but I've had multiple people tell me that it is discounted.

I say it is not discounted. I use it with my single axle trailer at the Bay Bridge and the cost is $8.00.   If I paid cash, it would be the same. With no trailer, it would be $2.50 with the easy pass or $4.00 without it. One thing I will note, our Guv. reduced the Bay Bridge rates a while back. I was paying $12.00 for that single axle trailer during the time O'Malley and his band of thieves were in control.
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »

Does anyone know if you are allowed to use an EzPass when trailering? Do you get a discounted rate for each additional axle?  Their website makes me think not but I've had multiple people tell me that it is discounted.
EZPass use is supposed to be restricted to the vehicle/setup that you have on record on your account. So, if you registered in a class that included the trailer (I have no idea if they actually have such a class for non-commercial vehicles) you would be permitted to use it. Of course, you would also pay that (higher) toll when you go through EZPass without the trailer. OTOH, my experience indicates that the odds of being identified and caught when using the transponder in a different vehicle than is on record is low. Also in my experience, incidental EZPass violations result in a letter, and can be remedied by simply paying the toll amount that should have been remitted in the first place. That process does sometimes require a phone call. YMMV
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »

EZPass use is supposed to be restricted to the vehicle/setup that you have on record on your account. So, if you registered in a class that included the trailer (I have no idea if they actually have such a class for non-commercial vehicles) you would be permitted to use it. Of course, you would also pay that (higher) toll when you go through EZPass without the trailer. OTOH, my experience indicates that the odds of being identified and caught when using the transponder in a different vehicle than is on record is low. Also in my experience, incidental EZPass violations result in a letter, and can be remedied by simply paying the toll amount that should have been remitted in the first place. That process does sometimes require a phone call. YMMV

I pull a work trailer with the truck. It charges accordingly. If it's just the truck, the regular fee. With the truck, it's an additional cost. Unless it has changed since I last pulled a trailer across the Key Bridge.
As for being caught using a transponder with another vehicle. It happens more then you think.  Especially if the car using it has out of state tags. They'll mail you a letter with the fine amount.  Now using different pick up trucks, so far I have not been mailed a fine. 
CLAWLESS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »

Yes you can use EzPass with a trailer, but the trailer needs to be registered with them. I pay $8.00 for a single axle trailer and $12.00 for my tandem axle box trailer . Without EzPass I believe it would be $12.00 for a single axle.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »

Hatem bridge on RT40 from  Havre de Grace to Perryville  MD has discounted rates if you have EZ-Pass  MD

Regular toll without EZpass... 2 axle vehicle..$8.00,  2 axle vehicle pulling one axle trailer..$16.00,  2 axle vehicle pulling 2 axle trailer..$24.00

With EZ-Pass MD...  2 axle vehicle..$6.00 ,  2 axle vehicle pulling one axle trailer..$11.20,  2 axle vehicle pulling 2 axle trailer..$16.80

*No charge if traveling west from Perryville to Havre de Grace

(**Having Hatem Bridge commuter plan -$20 per year- is no benefit if pulling a trailer)
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »

I have 2 different trucks on my ez-pass. One of them is not even registered to me.
Hope this helps someone.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »

I pull a work trailer with the truck. It charges accordingly. If it's just the truck, the regular fee. With the truck, it's an additional cost. Unless it has changed since I last pulled a trailer across the Key Bridge.
As for being caught using a transponder with another vehicle. It happens more then you think.  Especially if the car using it has out of state tags. They'll mail you a letter with the fine amount.  Now using different pick up trucks, so far I have not been mailed a fine. 
So, how do they know whether or not you are towing your trailer on specific trip through the toll? Were you issued a second transponder for the trailer? Or do you go through a manned booth? The entire system is automated. They clearly review tag photos associated with non-payment of toll, but it's difficult to believe they review every photo taken and compare it to transponder registration and toll amount paid. Too labor intensive. I have a transponder that was issued for an SUV. I use it interchangeably on that vehicle, and on my big PU (since the PU is registered non-commercial, the rates are the same.) Locally (NJ) the use is about 80/20% in favor of the SUV. I make several round trips a year through Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia, passing through EZ-PASS tolls in all but WV, and on those trips I use the PU about 80% of the time. I have yet to receive any kind of notification from EZ-PASS that I have used a transponder on a vehicle other than the one to which is registered. Maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe EZ-PASS in some states is more aggressive than in others. Possibly they have accurate OCR for the tag # and can reliably compare to the transponder registration automatically, but I've seen no evidence for that. Bottom line, I'm pretty well convinced based on my personal experience that EZ-PASS is mostly concerned in getting paid period, and not as much with catching incidental violations of vehicle type, transponder allocation, etc., where investigating and pursuing those violations may not be cost effective. Again, YMMV.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »

Samian, they must have some type of electronics to tell if you are pulling a trailer. I get charged accordingly when I pull my work trailer.  As for reviewing, my daughter used my transponder on her car with NC tags and she got a letter saying she needed to pay the toll at a later date.  Which she did and that was that. .
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »

Like so many topics posted on this forum, resulting in conflicting responses from so many members, I just don't get it. JUST CALL THEM AND ASK. You'll have your answer in minutes, rather than weeks, as you do posting the question on here, still not knowing if you got the right answer. Same as the question of "distance from a pier you can crab" and any other DNR related question. It's almost as if people just want to see their name on the screen at times, and could actually have their question answered faster with a phone call than it actually takes to type the question in the forum.

Danhosk1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:27:41 PM »

Like so many topics posted on this forum, resulting in conflicting responses from so many members, I just don't get it. JUST CALL THEM AND ASK. You'll have your answer in minutes, rather than weeks, as you do posting the question on here, still not knowing if you got the right answer. Same as the question of "distance from a pier you can crab" and any other DNR related question. It's almost as if people just want to see their name on the screen at times, and could actually have their question answered faster with a phone call than it actually takes to type the question in the forum.

Thanks for your non helpful reply.  Why don't you call them for me and report back? In the time it took you to read and reply to this post, you could have called and provided a useful reply.

Hey look, my name is on the screen again....
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:47:58 PM »

Exactly.
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »

Poosibly they have improved their practices, but I called them a few years ago seeking an answer to a question or resolution of an issue - it has been so long I don't clearly remember which. I do clearly recall that I got the kind of bureaucratic run-around you might expect from a multi-state government contractor with a guaranteed monopoly, and after spending an inordinate amount of time (full disclosure - I'm not the most patient guy in the world) talking to people who didn't know the answer (or seem even to understand the question) I hung up. YMMV.

Re automatic detection of whether or not there is a trailer, I need to tow my backhoe to Virginia sometime before first snowfall. I'll take it though the EZPass lane on I95S & see Smiley
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

Just go through the regular toll lane if you are unsure. Then next time you will know.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »

Asking for a clarification from any Maryland State  department is a [curd] shoot at best.
If it is a department rule and not available to read.....good luck with a correct answer.

Now if it is a law and/or available to be read, your chances of finding a correct answer is better.

When I take a single axle trailer across the bay bridge they charge $8.00 on my ezpass.
Dual axle trailer is $12.00

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »

I don't think asking them how much a toll will be is really a very complicated question for them to figure out.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:44 AM »

I don't think asking them how much a toll will be is really a very complicated question for them to figure out.

You are in luck.

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Rates/rates_Index.html
crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »

Mirrow mirrow on the wall.
budlover

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »

Important Info. Check your account online each month. I have single axle trailer, the toll is $8.00 at fort McHenry tunnel, However I was charged $12.00 in 6 occasions, all north bound Left lane. Called EZpass and they credited the $24.00 they over charged.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home