October 22, 2017, 04:01:34 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MD moves to allow increased imports of egg-bearing female crabs  (Read 528 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: October 02, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »

http://www.bayjournal.com/article/amid_poor_harvest_md_moves_to_allow_increased_imports_of_egg_bearing_female

"Responding to pleas from Maryland crab processors suffering from a depressed harvest this year, a state advisory group is proposing to relax a regulation that could allow importing nearly twice as many egg-bearing female crabs for crab meat."

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »

LOL, got to love these owners on the committee. Looking out for their bottom line.

"Like many processors, Brooks and Vincent’s company rely on seasonal crabmeat pickers who come from Mexico on H2-B visas. Each hires about 100 immigrant workers annually. The processors say they must request visas before they know how the year’s crab harvest is likely to go, and are required to pay the workers, whether there are crabs to pick or not."

But screw the future crab population, as long as they get their money's worth out of the pickers who probably make minimum wage maybe.

But the article is from the Bayjournal, not highly thought of by some on BCA. LOL

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »

What are they out of their minds?  They are being narrow minded.  In the short run, yes their harvest numbers will go up, but in the future their numbers will go down enormously.   

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »

We can put these companies out of business by going into their factories and yelling "immigration!"  (See how many of their workers run)   laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:42:28 PM »

I didn’t read the article yet, but importing from where?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 07:19:28 PM »

We can put these companies out of business by going into their factories and yelling "immigration!"  (See how many of their workers run)   laugh laugh

That's funny, but I doubt it. But if they do run, you may be correct. Guess the only folks who will do the job for minimum wages are the immigrants.  I find it funny these owners sit on that committee, seems like letting the fox in the hen house to me. Every vote they do on crabs is directly involved with their business.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »

That's funny, but I doubt it. But if they do run, you may be correct. Guess the only folks who will do the job for minimum wages are the immigrants.  I find it funny these owners sit on that committee, seems like letting the fox in the hen house to me. Every vote they do on crabs is directly involved with their business.

Worked the same way for the CBF employee that was on the committee. He voted against many a motion to perpetuate his 150k salary.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »

I didn’t read the article yet, but importing from where?

NC and VA.

The MD processors are claiming that in early April, NC and VA are already harvesting crabs - but MD is unable to import them due to the current regulations (which were set in 2003).  I don't know if the bayjournal is political or leans one way or the other.  So i went and found a transcript - not of the actual Blue Crab Industry Advisory committee - but of the proposal presented to the sports fishery advisory committee.

http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/calendar/events/1313/D_5_23_17_SFAC_Meeting_Transcript.pdf

Here is starting at page 56:
17 One other item was sponge crab importation. You
18 know the current regulations only allow importing sponge crabs
19 from Virginia and North Carolina during a certain time of the
20 year. And again this goes back to the crab cake market if you
21 will. These get picked for crab meat. At least make -- so
22 there has been a request and some discussion about modifying
23 that. Either being able to adjust that two weeks forward or
24 back. Also can we get public notice to make that change? As
25 you all know, it takes us 90 to 120 days to enact a
1 regulation.
2 We have public notice authority and on some
3 fisheries at some times, but if we you know are talking to the
4 industry work group and you know, there is not an abundance of
5 crabs in early April but we could import sponge crabs that
6 would help that crab picking market. We could issue a public
7 notice in 48 hours. We could move that up a week or two
8 weeks, you know to April 20 through June 1 or something or
9 30th. So we would have some flexibility to be able to modify
10 those dates.

20 MR. LANGLEY: Are the picking houses the ones that
21 are pushing this change?
22 MR. BLAZER: Pretty much. And some of the folks
23 down in the lower Tangier Sound area.
24 MR. DeHOFF: So basically this is a flexibility to
25 allow them to get product for their business during times when
1 the local grabs are slow?
2 MR. BLAZER: Right. Right. To be able to make some
3 adjustments as we go through.

then they start talking about other crabbing concerns (out of state licenses - 87 people in delaware have md commercial licenses out of possible 5000).  

Anyways there are other links here - but all from SFAC - not the blue crab advisory committee....
http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/calendar/v2/event.asp?id=1313

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »

so law already allows the importation of egg bearing females from NC and VA and the picking house'es want to be able to move the dates to adjust for times when the havest is down. Makes sence since it would not allow any differant harvest then already allowed, just when it's allowed, some things sure do get twisted up by people with an agenda.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »

Im unsure what the uproar is, if NC and Va want to harvest more crabs and sell em to us, that’s entirely up to them. Why’s everyone upset that MDs buying them?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »

Chris ,you should read the article there is a little more to it, if it's truthful.i do not like the bay journal it's too slanted to the left.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »

If you read the article, it has several quotes from waterman and their opinion. The article brings up 2 folks on the committee who definitely have a special interest in extending the time for buying sponge crabs from the south.  Who are also pushing for this to happen. Conflict of interest, maybe?

This waterman basically points out what many are concerned with.  He also excused himself from voting because of his position on TFAC.   Much respect to him for doing that.

Billy Rice, another Southern Maryland waterman, abstained from voting because he chairs the Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission. Nevertheless, he expressed dismay at the proposed change. A sponge, he said, is worth 25 cents and produces thousands of offspring.

“Do you think a 25-cent crab is worth picking when it can produce that?” he asked. “This is where our next crop of crabs is coming from.”

If the public knew crabmeat came from an egg-bearing female, Rice added, it would sit on the shelf and rot.

Reached by phone Friday as he was crabbing, Rice said it wasn’t fair to make hard-working watermen sacrifice their future because processors had a labor issue. He predicted that Virginia watermen would harvest more sponge crabs, saying that Maryland is their main market.

‘There’s no doubt that the picking industry is needed, but can we sacrifice the whole fishery?” he asked. “There’s a shortage of crabs, but how can we justify filling that hole when what we fill it with are crabs that are ready to spawn and rejuvenate the population?”

Rice said he wonders if the lack of harvest restrictions in the 1990s helped bring on the crab crisis then, when both Maryland and Virginia imposed limits.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »

NC and VA.

The MD processors are claiming that in early April, NC and VA are already harvesting crabs - but MD is unable to import them due to the current regulations (which were set in 2003).  I don't know if the bayjournal is political or leans one way or the other.  So i went and found a transcript - not of the actual Blue Crab Industry Advisory committee - but of the proposal presented to the sports fishery advisory committee.

I read the article as MD may already be importing  sponge crabs till July if they are needed. This proposal is about extending the time frame for importing sponge crabs. So the processor can have crabs to keep their workers busy for the time they have them in the USA if the MD crabs are scarce.

In 2002, former Gov. Parris N. Glendening banned the import of sponge crabs into Maryland. But his successor, Robert Ehrlich Jr., opened a window for the struggling processors the next year. Under current regulations, processors can import sponge crabs from April 25 to July 5.

The DNR’s crab industry advisory panel called for increasing the import window to 122 days, from April 15 to August 15. The recommendation now goes to the department’s Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission, which will take it up in late October. If the move gains that group’s approval, DNR officials said they would formally propose the change and seek public comment, with the intent to make it effective by next season, which begins April 1.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »

Chris ,you should read the article there is a little more to it, if it's truthful.i do not like the bay journal it's too slanted to the left.

i wasnt sure but it felt that way. 

The article brings up 2 folks on the committee who definitely have a special interest in extending the time for buying sponge crabs from the south.  Who are also pushing for this to happen. Conflict of interest, maybe?

Yes I also feel like it makes no sense that the person who is proposing the change would financially gain from it.  Talk about corruption. 
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »

Those committees are made up of representatives from all of the affected user groups just to make sure
all sides of a topic are presented. To call it corruption when the representatives of the processors are making
a proposal which would be beneficial for their industry is a little far fetched. My understanding of the proposal is that
they just want to be able to move the imports a couple of weeks one way or the other to make up for local supply
shortages. They're not increasing the season or the quotas. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
I'm against the harvest of sponge bearing females as much as everyone else. NC and VA are the ones harvesting them
and the changes need to be made there.

r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »

Great.  I am hoping the people on this site will continue to throw them back.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »

I picked this up on the VMRC's FB page. 

https://www.facebook.com/MRCVirginia/

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »

A question to be ask about importing these crabs. As stated in article, the MD waterman won't be happy about it. It opens up the competition for who has the best price, which always  could impact the MD watermen's income.  Hope that doesn't happen, but the processors most likely want to pay the cheapest price to increase their profits.  If the Virginia waterman have a banner year on crabs, the local MDer's lose out.

soggybottomboyz

Obama SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »

The harvest of sponge crabs is crazy period. By changing the regulation to allow the import of sponge crabs from the other states no matter what time frame just promotes the practice.

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »

This is a response from another forum about this topic.

rj

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the Blue crab industry advisory committee is made up of only commercial harvesters. they have recommended that this proposal take place.

The Tidal fisheries advisory commission is made up of 14 commercial harvestors, & aquaculture industry representatives and 1 sport fishery advisor.

Both of these commissions are Commercial. & primarily for Commercial interests only! I see nowhere in the article that indicates that the state is seeking the recommendation of the Sport fisheries advisory commission.

there will be a public hearing & comment process before any regulations are implemented.

in response to Thunnus ?.. this a good thing for the Commercial interests, especially those from out of state! more market for the processors in maryland that buy crabs from out of state. more market for the waterman in other states, but not for Maryland watermen, it will affect the crabbers in other states where the taking of sponge crabs is allowed,, this regulation does nothing for the recreational crabbers. or the Maryland watermen where the taking of sponge crabs is prohibited in Md.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home