May 21, 2018, 12:51:54 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Best Catch  (Read 5676 times)
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2003, 11:11:34 PM »

I was just sitting at the computer and thinking back of all the the crabbing trips I have been on since I started crabbing in Barnegat Bay 45 years ago. I remember catching jumbo crabs at Ocean Gate but what stands out was the catch I made with my cousins in the fall of 1983 (San Diego vs. Tigers in the World Series). I arrived at the pier in Berkeley Island Park Bayville, NJ. at 5 AM. The wind was howling out of the NE and I was to crab on the West side of the bay. I put out 6 box traps with fluke frames as bait. My cousins had not arrived yet from Elizabeth,NJ. By 6 AM i HAD PULLED IN A BUSHEL OF CRABS AND IT WAS STILL DARK. To make a long story short after my cousins arrived until we left at about 9 AM we pulled in 4 bushels of crabs during a raging noreaster. We had crabs in every trap on every pull. Sometimes 4-5 at a time. They were hanging in the traps on theoutside of the traps and even biting the main line. I am sure you guys have similar personal best stories to share.
Crabbyboy

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 01:50:35 PM »

well i sure don't have the kind of memory #1 jimmy here does, but i do remember a time, i guess 3 years ago.  it was nothin much but i had one of my pots in the lagoon in front of my house, and my house is right on the bay.  so anyway, the night before there was a big thunder storm.  when i went down to where my pot was, i found it was covered and dented by drift wood and logs, it took me 15 minutes to get it out!! but when it did come out, it had 14 crabs in it, i guess because they needed protection from the extreme tide and debre.  
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 10:11:59 PM »

The 2 full bushel days on the Wye River of Maryland. Thats all we could take ! A good full bushel day makes me plenty happy! As my Korean friends put it kay moogo yogi -so!  Crab Eating right here  ( all you an eat) Smiley
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 11:06:50 PM »

Since those days back in the 80's though crabbing has taken a downhill turn. If I can catch 2 dozen in Barnegat Bay I did alright these days. Does anyone know why crabbing is so poor in NJ? I do not think it is over fishing since I rarely see moe then a half dozen boats while back when I caught the 4 bushels there were literally hundreds of boats and they all were catching good catches. Maybe the water has turned bad or is the commercial trapping the reason. I have since crabbed the rivers of Monmouth County for decent catches. Have a good season.
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 10:22:05 AM »

rember how much devoloment  there was then and look whats there now

Crabbyboy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 04:47:40 PM »

Preditors, over fishing, droughts, it could be a combination of things.
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 10:54:55 PM »

Well Crabbyboy ---- I think, (just my opinion), that what cw is sayin is that the "Preditors, over fishing, and droughts," --- ya just can't control! But the housing and industrial developments are controlable ---- at least along the waterways; and what they discharge into the water is very controlable!!! Thats where everyone needs to get involved.

(OK  ..... OK .... I'll get off the soap box now).
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 08:37:23 AM »

People need to use less fertilizer on their lawns.  Even if you live quite some distance from the bay the runoff will get it there.

Also there needs to be buffer zones left intact or re-established along the bay and tributaries.  Although how you'd do that now I just don't know.

Kodi
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 09:14:13 PM »

Hey Kodi ------ yer on the right track, but, contrary to most common thought, a buffer of only 5' to 10' or unmowed grass area will catch "99% plus" of any runoff from pesticides and fertilizers. As a matter of fact, (and this is an area I'm very familier with), fertilizer will only "move" inches on an application on a turf area. That is why you see the one guy's lawn every spring that is 'checker boarded' or 'streaked' cause he missed an area. It just doesn't move or 'fill in'. The problem for our water ways is in agriculture and/or areas where there is no ground cover of a crop or grass/turf. Then ..... you get erosion of the soil - and that carries the fertilizer and pesticides into runoff ........and thats what gets into the streams, rivers and bays.
As long as the average homeowner keeps a couple feet between his fertilizing and any water source, there won't be any problem from him.
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 08:09:04 AM »

NJ Grasshopper,

Agreed about the grass thing but the thing is that there often isn't a grassy area between construction/farming areas and a water source.  The runoff, as you say is hurting the bay.  Also what about crop dusting?  I'm not sure how much of that is done these days but that is hard to control with any kind of wind.

My house uses a well so I like to play it safe.  I don't have one of those "Lawn and Garded" lawns and I have a serious problem with moles but what the heck.  I have good drinking water and I don't like cutting grass all that much anyway.

Every little bit.........
Kodi

Crabbyboy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 04:17:19 PM »

i see Shocked
KaseyWolf

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 02:12:00 AM »

My best catch wasn't even my catch!

My wife and I were camping down at Grand Isle in Lousiana with her mom and nephews.  The one night there was a pretty terrific storm.  The next morning, as we walked along the beach, we came across a decent size crab pot run up on the beach, wedged in the sand.  There was not tags on it, was a little bent up.  It was full of crabs!  We took it back to camp, went through the bunch and tossed all the females and little ones back into the Gulf.

We attached a bottle to it and took it out into about 4-5' of water and set it in front of our camp.  We figured if anyone came looking for washed up crab pots, we could see if it was theirs.

We took another walk after a swim, went a bit further than before and came across another crab pot, almost in the same identical situation as before.  We took this crab pot back to camp, sorted out the females and little ones and put this crab pot out in the water next to the other one.  We talked to other campers...no one heard of anyone missing crabpots.

The next day, we hauled them in, tossed out the females and little ones that had crawled in since we had last checked them and got a fire going.  All total there was 58 crabs 6-7 inches or bigger.

We held onto the pots until it was time to go home.   We had let the park ranger know that first day we had the pots.  No one ever claimed them so we took them home.

Sure do miss living in Louisiana!

Kasey
Crabbyboy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 05:04:24 PM »

Wow how i would have loved to be you.  just gettin free crabs every day!!  
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 08:26:12 PM »

Best catch volume wise was spring/early summer 2004.  Still think it was Issy that did it.  Also the best peeler run I ever seen..

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:10:14 AM »

Wow, I see how old this post is...but I have to add these facts...I was born and raised in Elizabeth, New Jersey!!!  And then I happened to move to Monmouth county and have crabbed where you are!!  Now I live in Delaware...but the reason I moved from NJ is exactly the reason why I might be moving from this area in the next year or so...overdevelopment...

I can't pinpoint the date, but I remember one summer..and it had to be about 1989....my dad and I used to crab at that time on the Manasquan River and boy did we have a great summer!!  There were so many crabs that that is when I started picking and freezing the crab meat!!  They were one after the other, and we only used hand lines!

Janice

Fruitland Crabber

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 10:20:13 PM »

1 1/2 in about 3 hours on handlines. If it wasnt for the crabbing limits, we probbly could of got 5 0r 6 bushels.
fred

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »

I can remember going down to kent narrows when i was younger.  we should sometimes rent a boat from hartgee's  (sp?) if we didnt trailer our own boat.  We only handlined back then and I can remember catching 2 and 3 crabs per handline and filling bushels with 100+ crabs.  Now these crabs were all 5 to 5.5 inches, but we would catch a half bushel real quick, then pull both anchors to drift a bit, then drop both anchors and catch a nother half bushel just on handlines.  Another time was when crabs used to float on top a bunch more than i have seen in the past years.  We would go out with traps and handlines, but if it was overcast, we could just ride around dip many floaters with a bunch of doublers in the mix.  Now, I dont even think hartgee's is around and I have moved my stomping ground to the chester river at eastneck.  One-hitter!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home