May 20, 2018, 07:35:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Pot wire  (Read 2919 times)
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »

Where is an inexpensive place to buy 1 1/2  x 2 in. vinyl coated wire to build crab pots and unwelded 3/8 rebar crab pot bottom weight frames around Baltimore?
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »

Call MIllers Island Crab pot Supply  (410) 477- 9008  They should have what you're looking for.

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »

They sell them already made for $23 + $3 for the rebar. I don't know f it is worthwhile to make them myself over the winter?
reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »

They sell them already made for $23 + $3 for the rebar. I don't know f it is worthwhile to make them myself over the winter?

Is that complete with the cull rings, bait container and bungie door hook?
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »

Is that complete with the cull rings, bait container and bungie door hook?
No He said with all that + rope & float was $35. I won't need floats. I am running ground lines. Glad you asked . I thought it included everything except rope & float. I used to run 150 pots in about 6.5 hours alone .Pulling a small 16 ft.boat along without power from pot to pot on a long line. I think the pots were spaced about 25 ft. apart. A good 1 man operation.

reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »

No He said with all that + rope & float was $35. I won't need floats. I am running ground lines. Glad you asked . I thought it included everything except rope & float. I used to run 150 pots in about 6.5 hours alone .Pulling a small 16 ft.boat along without power from pot to pot on a long line. I think the pots were spaced about 25 ft. apart. A good 1 man operation.

If you have the time, making your own is cheaper.

Any idea what the wire alone costs?
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:52:48 AM »

I'll look into it today. I've made them before but when I lost one it hurt more than when I lost the bought ones.
Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »

Years ago a roll of 1.5 hex galv was only about $60+/-.  God knows what it is now.

Git 'r dun!
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:13:26 AM »

Years ago a roll of 1.5 hex galv was only about $60+/-.  God knows what it is now.
I bought a 1.5 x1.5  vinyl coated pot yesterday. Those are $26 . I think I'll make some for myself over the winter. I'm retired and  have a 300 pot license so I could save a few thousand bucks while  passing some winter days away. I'll try to find a wire company that sells the wire I need around Baltimore . If anyone knows a good place to buy 1.5 x 2 or 2x2 vinyl coated wire let me know .
reds

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »

I bought a 1.5 x1.5  vinyl coated pot yesterday. Those are $26 . I think I'll make some for myself over the winter. I'm retired and  have a 300 pot license so I could save a few thousand bucks while  passing some winter days away. I'll try to find a wire company that sells the wire I need around Baltimore . If anyone knows a good place to buy 1.5 x 2 or 2x2 vinyl coated wire let me know .

Why not 1.5 x 1.5?  Eddie Heath sells the wire. Do not know the cost, but I'm guessing at least $130 a roll.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

Eddie Heath is too far away . I'll find something from a local wire company . He doesn't make it he's a middle man.
It's always better to buy direct from the manufacturer if you can.
Seaweed

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 11:37:22 PM »

Miller's Island is on your backyard.

Make a long plywood table to work on, and if you're going to make 300, you should look at a Bendito wire bender.  Make all of your pieces first, then assemble.  It will go faster that way.

Git 'r dun!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 09:07:35 AM »

Don't know about up there but down here the dealer I use, Marshall Manufacturing, will cut and fold a complete roll for 10 bucks a roll. Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

Miller's Island is on your backyard.

Make a long plywood table to work on, and if you're going to make 300, you should look at a Bendito wire bender.  Make all of your pieces first, then assemble.  It will go faster that way.
Miller's was  where I bought the crab pot the other day. They will probably be my best bet all in all. They have everything I'll need including Big Bendito 2 ft.Wire Benders.  The wire 1.5x1.5 vinyl coated was quoted at $131 for 2x150 ft, roll. enough for 10 pots  + I'll need chicken wire for funnels and 1/2 x 1/2 for bait boxes + 1/2 in. rebar bottoms. We used to use a trowel of concrete slapped in the corners for weight too. Not as pretty but it worked . Sounds like a fun winter project. Just like the good ole days. One pot at a time.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »

A 150 ft. roll will cut 10 pots including enough for 4 funnels each.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »

Miller's was  where I bought the crab pot the other day. They will probably be my best bet all in all. They have everything I'll need including Big Bendito 2 ft.Wire Benders.  The wire 1.5x1.5 vinyl coated was quoted at $131 for 2x150 ft, roll. enough for 10 pots  + I'll need chicken wire for funnels and 1/2 x 1/2 for bait boxes + 1/2 in. rebar bottoms. We used to use a trowel of concrete slapped in the corners for weight too. Not as pretty but it worked . Sounds like a fun winter project. Just like the good ole days. One pot at a time.

Did they quote you a price on the wire bender?

Wire should be no sales tax...Bender maybe?
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »

He said a they'd be around $300 for the 2 ftr.
he has a shipment coming in next week. He said he'd show me how to me a pot with it. That's what they use to make their pots. They are made in Mathews Va. I think ? According to the web site and video they started making them in 96.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 06:04:45 AM »

You tube video of Big bandito wire bender.            If it doesn't work I don't know how to fix it so   type in    "bigbandito wire bender you tube" and you will find it . It is a 59 second demonstration video.
cjm09

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »

You tube video of Big bandito wire bender.            If it doesn't work I don't know how to fix it so   type in    "bigbandito wire bender you tube" and you will find it . It is a 59 second demonstration video.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with these folks? I ordered one from them almost a month ago and it still hasn't shipped. You call their shop they don't answer nor do they have a voicemail set up. Sounds like I may have to take a road trip.....
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

I can't get a hold of them either. I'll just deal with Millers Island when they get them in. I bought some pots and a winder from them many years ago and they are good to deal with.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home