October 22, 2017, 04:10:54 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to crab rings  (Read 203 times)
ringer

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »

I made and used a half dozed crab rings at a time decades ago which were easy to set from an anchored boat. I recently made 30 rings and would like any tips on setting so many
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »

I pick out a point on land and set the motor as slow as it will go heading for that point. Depending on how rough the water is detetmines on how far apart I set my rings. I usually set about 20 yards apart. I will Pick them up with the tide most of the time (not reccommended with rings), but I will also pick up against the tide. when you pick up against the tide you should not have a lot of slack in your line. If I am not clear maybe Perfectionist or one of the other ring crabbers can add to this reply.
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »

I usually set my traps 2 boat lengths apart, I watch the depth finder for the depth I want usually 7-10 feet. Depending on how far apart they are and the experience of the person pulling them I will often throw the boat in neutral before getting to trap. I try to get lined up for the next trap I am going to pull when approaching a trap for me they never end up in a straight line because most places I crab the depth can change a lot in a few feet. If have any questions you think I can help with please ask.
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »

I would add that there are 2 ways to drop traps: 1) chuck the buoy out and let it drag behind the boat holding line just above the trap - drop trap when ready.  2) drop the trap when you want and then chuck the buoy and line.  Also I think a little fish weight on bottom center of the trap helps, and a little float/cork just above the trap lines on the buoy line is key to the trap working well.  Happy Crabbing

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home