December 15, 2017, 05:25:06 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesapeake Tidal Flow - not a report but a question for locals to MD Chesapeake  (Read 622 times)
CocoCrab

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »

Sorry to post on reports but wanted to get local perspectives on the influence of tidal flow on crabbing in the Chesapeake. 

Fact is, I'm going to crab whenever I can get out of work regardless of the tide, but since I stopped 'running and gunning' and started to do more grinding in one place, I've been noticing a significant difference in catch rate over time.  I can only attribute this to tides but the problem is, I'm trying to understand when to expect the most flow.  Tides seem pretty complicated depending on where you are - standing waves vs. progressive waves, etc. 

Just wondering if folks are willing to weigh in on their experience as to when the tide is flowing strongest.  My sense is that where I typically crab (Eastern Bay area), the tide is more akin to a 'standing wave' where the slack water is closer to the high and low tide marks on a tide chart (as opposed to a "progressive wave" current where the maximum flow coincides with the high and low tide marks).

For example, last Friday crabbing was great between 8:00 and 10:30 which was right between the high (6:00) and low (12:30).

Curious as to when you experience the best tidal flow in your area of the Chesapeake and if that coincides with better crabbing.

Cheers

CocoCrab
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »

In my experience, tide plays a great deal in feeding habits and keeping crabs moving.  But st the same time, that doesn't mean "slack tide" will be un productive.  What it means is that no new crabs will come in in volume.  Also tide hasn't effected my "holes".  Those hard to get to, out of the way areas.  But I can't hit them every day, they need a few days of tide changes to refresh themselves.

That being said, crabs are strange little creatures that can't be predicted.  I've slid into a 2 to 3 ft hole and caught 6 bushels on chicken all during slack tide and left them biting.  Came back the next day and struggled to get .5 bushels.

I start at legal and I end at 11 or so.  Tide won't change that.
crabbaiter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:47:11 PM »

There is an app for your smart phone called "Tides near me".  It gives tides, flow and sunrise-sunset of any day for most places. Of course tides and flow are affected
by so many things, no tide/flow chart is always accurate. I have seen a high tide stay in all day.
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

You can go online to md dept of nat resources they have a tide chart for Maryland , I look at it when fishing shallows to try and pick the best day to go. Crabs definitely relate to tide changes, but some times have to go when the chance to go is available. Crabs also seem to run during a slight sprinkle for whatever reason. I would say the tide will ebb for about an hour and a half in between low and high tides.
Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »

Seems like they bite best when tide is moving the most, But sometimes they seem to bite right on through slack water.  I'm guessing it depends on how many crabs are there and the feeding pressure they put on each other.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

Seems like they bite best when tide is moving the most, But sometimes they seem to bite right on through slack water.  I'm guessing it depends on how many crabs are there and the feeding pressure they put on each other.

Agreed.  For the most part, this time of year they will bite thru the slack tide while they are trying to fatten up before they dig in.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »

Awesome responses and advice - thanks to all for taking the time to respond.  I'll check out the app and the site you recommended.  I love the mystery about crabbing.  I would, of course, like to find a few honey holes that I can depend on, but that does take time and willingness to try new places.

CocoCrab
LewCrab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 11:12:52 PM »

Good to know.  Thanks

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home