April 24, 2018, 01:08:17 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Pot results  (Read 643 times)
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:17:45 AM »

About how many crabs per 50 pots have any of you commercial crabbers been averaging in area 025 this season?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »

I think you will get very few if any responces due to the fact that runnin 50 pots is not profitilbe enough in todays chesapeake bay compared to cost to do that.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »

You're probably right but there's a lot more lcc crabbers than 300 pot and up crabbers. I put per 50  to cover all crabbers. I see what I think are lcc crabbers coming in for the day about 9 am when I'm still grinding it out in the river with the line. I'm guessing they're catching between 1/2- 1 bushel on a 3 day set.? Last week I had about 1/3 drop offs on the line . When the sun came out and warmed the water up a few degrees they held on better from 68 to 73. I still only caught a  few dozen. I'm definitely putting out some pots next year. Faster and easier .  If it's a dry year the rivers can be good but if it's rainy they tend to stay in the Bay more up here.
warrenk21
Supporting Member

Hobo crabber for life

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »

I am running a few pots on an LCC this year. I thought it would be an easy way to catch a lot of crabs. It is not. I am in 17 feet of water close to a drop and deeper than most people. If you go shallow you can catch a lot of females (maybe 6 per pot). Deeper, the quality of males is much higher and there are very few females. I have 15 pots out, and usually catch 1.5 dozen males and maybe 1.5 dozen females on a 3 day soak. I am still learning and trying to get the funnel angles right tailoring to the pots that catch the most. If you keep your pots shallow, you will need to pressure wash them every week. Deeper, they seem to be staying much cleaner. If you ever want to come out, I go out of the magothy.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »

Thanks Warren . I'm really not new at this I used to have 450 pots in the Bay years ago. After this years river crabbing in the Northern Chesapeake I'm ready to get back into crab potting now that I'm retired and have the time. My best crab numbers with females were a bushel in 6 pots years ago  I was curious about how many crabs are being caught in pots up this way this year . I'm mostly only interested in large males now and think I'll need 60 pots or so next year to start. Just something to play around with and crab by myself  a few days a week . I'll see how it goes and maybe put out 150 if I can handle it alone. I used to pull 150  in 6.5 hours and would normally catch 4-6.1/2 bu. using that method. I'll be using ground lines. A ground line is like a trot line with snoods except you have a pot at the end of the snood with multiple pots spaced out over a few thousand feet per line. I would pull the small boat along from pot to pot then empty, rebait and overboard to the next pot. I find it easier than running from pot to pot.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:18:36 PM by Neither Crab » Logged

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home