August 15, 2018, 05:28:10 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfectionist rings and Rockfish for bait 10/22/2017 Magothy River  (Read 2370 times)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »

Saw a poster say rockfish catch crabs, so I tried it out.  Went to my usual spot first, made 2 runs on my 9 perfectionist rings. Didn't see a crab.

Moved out to a point  close to the creek, tried 2 depths(8' and 10'), didn't catch a thing. Made 2 passes each depth.

Moved out to another spot in 10' -13' of water.  Finally caught 8 crabs and that was it. Started at 9:30 and finished at 12:15.  So crabs do eat rockfish. I watched 2 other crabbers and they did about what I was doing.

I like the rings, easy to store, easy to bait and unbait. Neat sight seeing the crab in the ring in clear water. I bet my back is a little sore tomorrow, LOL.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:22:35 PM by evinrude 130 » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »

Good try. To bad you did not get on the crabs earlier.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:02:31 PM »

That was a good try. You'll get used to those rings. Some of the older Alario Bros rings that I still use tend to get quite heavy. I definitely feel the difference using them. But I'm used to it. Better luck the next time if you choose to get back out there.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:07 AM »

At least you got some crabs for your hard work.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »

good job

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:48:40 AM »

Saw a poster say rockfish catch crabs, so I tried it out.  Went to my usual spot first, made 2 runs on my 9 perfectionist rings. Didn't see a crab.

Moved out to a point  close to the creek, tried 2 depths(8' and 10'), didn't catch a thing. Made 2 passes each depth.

Moved out to another spot in 10' -13' of water.  Finally caught 8 crabs and that was it. Started at 9:30 and finished at 12:15.  So crabs do eat rockfish. I watched 2 other crabbers and they did about what I was doing.

I like the rings, easy to store, easy to bait and unbait. Neat sight seeing the crab in the ring in clear water. I bet my back is a little sore tomorrow, LOL.

Since you can't cut rockfish up on the water it's gotta be heavy pulling in a ring with a 20" fish in it.  Guess you could only use rockfish in 2 traps though.    Wink Wink   
8 crabs is plenty if they're big and heavy.  Wife gets to eat next time, LOL.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:15:26 AM by Harford Crabber » Logged
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »

Is it legal to use rockfish for crab bait?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »

Since you can't cut rockfish up on the water it's gotta be heavy pulling in a ring with a 20" fish in it.  Guess you could only use rockfish in 2 traps though.    Wink Wink   
8 crabs is plenty if they're big and heavy.  Wife gets to eat next time, LOL.

Took a small hatchet and cutting board out with me. I'm thinking the pieces were too big, maybe I should have cut smaller pieces.  I did put the head in one ring, your right, it was heavy.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »

Is it legal to use rockfish for crab bait?

Don't know, but I used them since I caught them the day before. Can't imagine the State of MD cares what happens to the carcasses.  It was a bloody mess on the boat cutting them up with a hatchet. .
Carv

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »

It is Illegal:

To possess any cut up or filleted striped bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped bass must be landed whole.
To use more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
To use eels as bait while fishing for striped bass with hook and line from Dec. 16 through May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
To cull striped bass.
To possess striped bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
To use a gaff to land striped bass.
To take or shoot striped bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
To fish for striped bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of striped bass in designated spawning areas from March 1 through May 31.
To intentionally snag a striped bass.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

I agree with Evinrude... using carcasses from yesterday should be okay... but from a legal perspective, How can a DNR officer tell what day they were caught?

Always thought that one was totally ridiculous...    How you supposed to prevent snagging any fish when using a lure, especially with a treble hook?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »

it use to be a real problem at the bay bridge with people who would use weighted large treble hooks to snag rochfish.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »

It is Illegal:

To possess any cut up or filleted striped bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped bass must be landed whole.
To use more than 2 hooks or 2 sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
To use eels as bait while fishing for striped bass with hook and line from Dec. 16 through May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
To cull striped bass.
To possess striped bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
To use a gaff to land striped bass.
To take or shoot striped bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
To fish for striped bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of striped bass in designated spawning areas from March 1 through May 31.

Common sense is an awesome power. No fishing gear on boat, using crab traps, yea, I'm pretty sure the NRP would not have a problem. Love the quote" Striped bass must be landed whole". Guess you can't have a partial fish on the hook, LOL. Though some old timers told stories of landing only the head of a rockfish by the bay bridge.

Maybe I'll ask a DNR person when I see one.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:21:18 AM by evinrude 130 » Logged
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »

I agree with Evinrude... using carcasses from yesterday should be okay... but from a legal perspective, How can a DNR officer tell what day they were caught?

Always thought that one was totally ridiculous...    How you supposed to prevent snagging any fish when using a lure, especially with a treble hook?

Has any DNR persons ever ask what you are using for bait? Not that I know of. That would be interesting if the DNR started checking bait we use for crabbing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home