August 17, 2018, 12:53:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late report, 10/21/2017 trolling for Rockfish  (Read 818 times)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »

Saturday was a perfect weather day for anything. After a morning of visiting different markets and shopping with my wife, I decided to go fishing. Headed out after lunch, around 1:30.  Took my wife with me and headed north out of the Magothy. Stayed on the west side outside of buoys 13-14. Lots of lumps around this area that have produced Rockfish normally.

Set out 4 trolling rods, 3 with tandem rig of small bucktails with twister tails. Green and white is what I used in those 3 rods. One rod, no weight except the small bucktails let out around 100'.  One had an inline with 6 OZ. and the other was used for bottom bouncing(22 oz bell shaped).  Last had a swim shad(6") with 4oz weight.

Plenty of birds flying around, small birds diving. The Lowrance Hook 5 showed nothing around those birds. Depth was 25' down to 16'.  Trolled for an hour when I finally see fish marks on the depth finder. Unfortunately nothing grabbed the baits at that time.  I see some large birds sitting on the water about 200' north of those marks. Troll that way and bottom bouncing rig goes down.  Pull it in and it's a fat 24" football size Rock.

Next the way back rods start peeling line. My wife reels that in and it's a rock similar to the first one.  Pull the rest of the gear in and slowly ride home enjoying the weather and water conditions. Great day on the water with something to eat later on.

Clean those fish Saturday and  made RFnuggets out of them. Fried them Sunday with Hush Puppies, french fries, and coleslaw from Angel's .   It's a good feeling when you are eating fresh seafood from the Chesapeake Bay.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:10:06 AM by evinrude 130 » Logged
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »

Sounds like a great trip. Always great to be on the water and to bring home some good fish to eat is a bonus.
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »

Nice catch I might have to start doing some trolling as well. I usually fish topwater ,but shallows are clearing up fast could see to the bottom in 5 foot the other day.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »

Nice catch I might have to start doing some trolling as well. I usually fish topwater ,but shallows are clearing up fast could see to the bottom in 5 foot the other day.

Friend showed me a pic of a nice 30 plus Rochfish he caught last week livelining spot at the key bridge. Said he caught it along the pilings in shallow water.   I see folks in the evening casting lures at MT Point. Don't know if they are catching anything. At least 4-5 boats .  Each time I come in before dark lately.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »

Nice job on the rock. I was supposed to get out with my friend sunday but he had to work. Hope to get out soon again.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »

NICE

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print