October 22, 2018, 01:27:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn River 10/22  (Read 1507 times)
ejohns10

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »

Crabbed the Severn from about 12-4 with 1200 foot of line baited with Chicken necks. Worst catch of the season. Moved the line twice and was in water anywhere from 6-18 feet with only 10 keepers. The bite was dead. Even the females were far and few between. Probably through back only 10 females. The severn this year was not as giving as last to say the least. The water temp was between 65-67 but the crabs were nowhere to be found. I should of known it was going to be a bust as I was the only one crabbing that I could see. So my question is, the season over already. It seems last year we were crabbing into mid november with much better luck. May have to try one last time and head up to the Magothy. Anyone else think we may be done for the season?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »

Who knows, maybe the crabs are taking a break. Were not many recs crabbing in the Magothy yesterday when I showed up at 9:00 AM. Saw 1 comm crabbing though. I'm done, good luck on your next effort.
skiffman19

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »

ejohns10,i was there on the 19th and got a half bushel.I was in 18 foot.I don't think it is over yet.I'm gonna try sometime next week and see what happens.
ejohns10

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:35 AM »

ejohns10,i was there on the 19th and got a half bushel.I was in 18 foot.I don't think it is over yet.I'm gonna try sometime next week and see what happens.

Yeah, I am not done just yet. I think I will try it again next weekend. I think maybe I just got out there in the middle of nap time or something. I am run up to the magothy though. I hate being skunked like that.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:22:40 AM »

The larger crabs are for the most part caught up and gone. This reflects the winter dredge survey at the beginning of this season which said the adult crabs were down some 18 percent  and juveniles a whopping 43 % so you will see more #2s as the season ends. it really does not look good for next season.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »

Thanks for the report.  Good luck on your next run

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
Maraian

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »

Crabbed the Severn from about 12-4 with 1200 foot of line baited with Chicken necks. Worst catch of the season. Moved the line twice and was in water anywhere from 6-18 feet with only 10 keepers. The bite was dead. Even the females were far and few between. Probably through back only 10 females. The severn this year was not as giving as last to say the least. The water temp was between 65-67 but the crabs were nowhere to be found. I should of known it was going to be a bust as I was the only one crabbing that I could see. So my question is, the season over already. It seems last year we were crabbing into mid november with much better luck. May have to try one last time and head up to the Magothy. Anyone else think we may be done for the season?
I crabbed the Magothy on Saturday the 22nd, 1200' cx necks from 6-14 feet for almost 10 hours and had 28 crabs to show for it. All were keepers, only threw back a few, a few females. Most crab caught were in 10-13ft. I thought I was done after that, but last night them crab cakes tasted so good I was pondering giving it a another go, just dont know where to go!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »

For those of you who are not quitting yet, I look forward to your reports. Hope you all do well.
Crabbygene
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »

I'll show you pic of crabs Friday when I am done.  I knew where they hide  Grin

I'm a crabbing machine.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »

Good luck