February 21, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running an auto dipper  (Read 1382 times)
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »

What size boat do you think will run an auto dipper good enough for daily commercial use? Iím looking at bigger Carolina skiffs, or about 20 food deep v boats. I donít have much money to work with. I have about 8000 to 9000 coming off my old skiff which I hand dipped on. So I need info on using a auto dipper, where to mount it so the boat doesnít constantly turn and all. Any insight or information would be great. Thanks, mike
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »

Mike, any 20 ft fiberglass boat should handle a dipper ok. I would stick to an aluminum dipper to keep the wait down and the 30x30 dipper is a good all round size. The boat will pull to the right if you work on the right side and a dipper can be mounted from almost mid ship or slightly rear of mid ship. One more thing , Hp should be IMHO atleast 50 but more would be better i think. BTW if you get a dipper the boat will pull to the side it's on every time you put the dipper down into the water,its the nature of the beast.
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »

Mike, any 20 ft fiberglass boat should handle a dipper ok. I would stick to an aluminum dipper to keep the wait down and the 30x30 dipper is a good all round size. The boat will pull to the right if you work on the right side and a dipper can be mounted from almost mid ship or slightly rear of mid ship. One more thing , Hp should be IMHO atleast 50 but more would be better i think. BTW if you get a dipper the boat will pull to the side it's on every time you put the dipper down into the water,its the nature of the beast.

Ok thanks, do you know of anyone wanting to sell a boat like that?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

No but i surf craigslist every day, if i see something i'll shoot you a pm. what size boat do you have now/
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:59:30 AM »

No but i surf craigslist every day, if i see something i'll shoot you a pm. what size boat do you have now/

Iíve got a 178 Carolina skiff dlv. Thanks, thatíd be great
Mike

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »

Ok thanks, do you know of anyone wanting to sell a boat like that?

if you do Facebook, thereare several pages like "Eastern shore boat..." and "Southern MD Boat...." that have tons of boats for sale.  There are also commercial fishing pages listing boat.  Also look at "Deadrise4sale.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
POLECAT
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »

I run an auto dipper on a 19' 1976 Thunderbird Tri Hull and it is plenty big enough with lots of spare room.  The dipper is mounted about 30" from the transom on the starboard side.  Just behind it is my roller that is used when netting crabs off the line.  That can be done by swinging the dipper inside the boat and parking it in front of the motor.  It is not in the way of the dipper at any time.
Boat is pushed by a 115 Suzuki 4 stroke.  More power than I need, but I got it at a price I could not turn down.
Boat also has an electric line puller mounted on the port side just left of the steering wheel where I can access it and steer the boat, if needed.
I built this set up 4 years ago from a hull that had seen its better days.  Deck, stringers and transom were replaced and all unnecessary junk in the boat was trashed, like the motor well, seats and windshield.
It gets the job done nicely and is an exceptionally stable boat to crab from.
Crab U Later

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »

i run one on my Carolina skiff 1980 with no problems
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/kencraft-skiff-suzuki-4-stroke/6396266663.html

Saw this killing time on craigslist i know its not much bigger than what you have but might be worth a look. Spoke to a guy a few years ago who had one with a dipper and said the boat handled it well. I have the same hull in a 21 but dip by hand and love it. Unfortunately mine is getting ready to undergo the floor/tank work.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:59:31 AM »

I have a skiff, it was a nightmare for me. See others run it just fine. I didnít like it at all on my skiff 2180dlx

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
Ėnoun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »

I have a skiff, it was a nightmare for me. See others run it just fine. I didnít like it at all on my skiff 2180dlx
I thought about getting one but enjoy dipping and can say there was only one day this year when I wished I had it. The kencraft does have a small keel only a few inches but that might help, canít hurt I guess.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 09:43:50 PM »

Had it for a week and sold it

in∑teg∑ri∑ty   
Ėnoun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home