May 19, 2022, 08:18:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Park/Jacksonville GREAT weekend on the crabs  (Read 16226 times)
aggsys

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:20:24 PM »

We spent the weekend pulling a few recreational traps and by Sunday had a great crab boil of about 100 keepers.  We threw the females back and only kept the ones 5 1/4" or bigger with some 6 1/2" to 7" tip to tip so the total count actually caught was about 130 or so.  This was much better than we thought this early in the year because it was not until July that we saw these kind of numbers and size last year.   If this is any indication of how 2006 will be, I have a feeling we are going to need a bigger pot...  Grin

Anyone else crabbing in the Jacksonville area?

Craig
Gregacy

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:03:48 PM »

Anyone else crabbing in the Jacksonville area?

Well I am now. When and where should I meet you?
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 09:51:24 AM »

Are you crabbing south or north of the Buckman bridge?  Used to do some down in greencove.
ilGranchio

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:16:58 AM »

Craig, we like to crab in the sister creek area from our boat.  Would like to try out by Docters lake sometime, what are the good spots?  We also take the trip up to Brunswick/St Simon's sometimes where there just seems to be more crabs than down here, we have had really good trips up there.

Joe
aggsys

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 05:26:09 PM »

We primarily find them around the Doctor's Lake bridge over to Fleming Island however they have been around the bend toward the Buckman as well.  The commercial guys are from just north of the Buckman all the way to Doctor's Lake bridge and just inside the bridge on the west side (close to the shrimp hole).   We stopped and talked to a commercial guy on Saturday morning and he said that it was just starting to pick up some and we are proof that must be true.  The biggest surprise I had was the size.  I am not used to seeing so many big crabs this early in the season. 

Good luck to everyone as it looks like the crabs are going to be hot this summer!

Craig

ilGranchio

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 06:46:49 AM »

Thannx, how deep are you setting you traps?  What kind of traps do you use?   And what do you use for bait?
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:55:59 AM »

great report aggsys.  Tear'em up!!!!!!   Im acutally flying to Jax in less than 6 hrs.  Wont have a second to do anything fun though, cause i have to go to a wedding on Sat and Sun.  Ugggggg!!!!!
aggsys

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »

Let's see...  We drop the traps in 6-10 feet of water, we use crab pots and use fish heads and bodies that a friend gives us from this spearfishing trips offshore.  The fish ranges from snapper, grouper to trigger fish.  Whatever is biting.  He gives us the fresh leftovers and we cut them up and put them in tennis ball canisters and freeze them.  When we go out to drop the traps, we dip the tennis ball canisters in the water and that releases the frozen tube of bait into the pots.  Works pretty good and keeps the process pretty clean.

We have just started for this season so we have are just now trying to figure out the right combination of bait, location, depth, etc... but I can tell you that if the beginning is any indication of the season the crabs are thick in Jacksonville.

We tried a few open top traps using chicken for bait, but they didn't produce like the fish baited pots.

Last year we would hand line bunches off of the public piers on Doctor's Lake and the kids would have a blast pulling them up and netting them.  Based on the first trip with the pots, I am thinking the hand lines will give the kids another very productive summer of fun.

There is nothing more enjoyable than sharing some quality time with my children watching their faces beam with excitement as they pull in a big crab.  Well, maybe my son's exuberant shout when he pulls the succulent meat from the crab and devours it with a grin from ear to ear...

We are not sure if we can get out there this weekend due to some scheduling issues but if so, I will update you on the results. 

Craig
billy16

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 05:09:56 PM »

I crab at the county dock over in mandarin using handlines. im not catching 3 dozen every time i go but, i usually catch around 1 and a half dozen . pretty nice sized to!
crabomatic

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 02:56:43 AM »

I am in St marys georgia and have been looking for someone to show me the ropes when crabbing. I am active duty navy and this is what I love to do in my spare time Maybe some time I can meet up with you in JAX? Let me know. I dont have a boat I do the typical pier crabbing but I would have no qualms about splitting costs to learn some stuff.

mike

matt4crabs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »

Hey all, I'm new at crabbing in jax, my names matt, (obviously) ive fished here all my life, and usually i get a lot of crabs while fishing, so for my 18th b-day i got 2 crab traps, and a catfish trap. i hang around mill cove, so any tips like, how long i should keep em on the sea floor before i check em? what about bait ( i assume chicken) and placing around the dock? I've got a great feeling about crabbing and i look forward to hearing your replies!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »

Welcome . you can check them about every five min. it doesn't take long for a crab to be attracted to the bait . chicken is good . good luck , have fun.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »

Welcome to the board!  Yes, just put chicken in the traps and if they are around, they will find it.  Good luck.

Janice
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 09:34:40 AM »

Welcome.Crabs will eat just about anything.Fish,shrimp heads,chicken try them all and have a great time.
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:45 AM »

Hey all, I'm new at crabbing in jax, my names matt, (obviously) ive fished here all my life, and usually i get a lot of crabs while fishing, so for my 18th b-day i got 2 crab traps, and a catfish trap. i hang around mill cove, so any tips like, how long i should keep em on the sea floor before i check em? what about bait ( i assume chicken) and placing around the dock? I've got a great feeling about crabbing and i look forward to hearing your replies!

I would try making a new thread, this thread is 2 years old, I doubt that the previous users still check this thread. If you have any questions I would post them in the general crabbing section on the forum. Everyone would be glad to help out. There is much to read about and there is much to learn. Welcome to the BCA.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple

Kodiakk

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »

Hi All,
I just moved into the Jax area, and am looking to get back to crabbing.  I used to crab in NC, at the sound out by Wilmington, and want to start up again here.  I went out last weekend out by the Naval Base, early in the morning, and at high tide, only got 2 crabs.  I live just south of 295, so am hoping for some places a little closer to home, and with a bit better results.  Any tips about locations would be greatly appreciated!
I've done hand-line crabbing before, but my friend gave me a new trap (looks like a professional one, big square, with four entrances and exit holes for the smaller crabs to leave) that I would really like to test-drive.   This same friend and I used get about 30-40 crabs in one afternoon, and I'm hoping to get that kind of thing going again.
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »

corner of 295 and st.johns river....
Mayport crabber

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

I don't know if this will help you but I am a commercial crabber working in that area and there is nothing there.  There also isnt anything for 10 miles to the north of you, and nothing as far south as Lake George.  Basicly what I'm telling you is there are NO crabs in the St. Johns River right now.  I've talked to guys that have been commercialy crabbing for 40 years and noone has ever seen it this bad.  Last year was the worst anyone could remember, this year is one we are all trying to forget.  I wouldn't look for any major improvements until about October and then we are just hoping.  If I was you I'd go fishing,  a 40# king mackerel was caught off the Jax bch. pier this week, and there is Tarpon just outside the surf. 

Have a great summer.
Raymond
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »

Interesting because it's been slow down by New Smyrna too for the last couple of years!
The ones you do catch now are small.
Couple of years ago all was good.
I haven't talked with any of the commercials but I know they are getting some.
I'll have to ask one sometime how the catch has been lately as compared with a few years back.

Retired in paradise!
Mayport crabber

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »

I have a good friend in Daytona crabbing from the basin in the North, South past the Granada Pier and he's not doing to much.  Another friend from Oak Hill has left the Lagoon and went to the River, and lots of traps are showing up in the Riverdale area of the River but no crabs to speak of yet.  We even have guys showing up in the river from as far away as Punta Gorda looking for crabs.  If they came all that way for this junk there must be nothing in S/W Florida, because I live here and can hardly pay the bills.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home