December 13, 2018, 09:27:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11/02/2017 Rockfish catching, north of Baltimore light  (Read 2229 times)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:16:27 PM »

Got out around 1:30 today , great water conditions and great weather.  Went to the spot the last time a caught rockfish. Lots of bait on the finder, sitting birds. Plenty of others out fishing. Most were trolling and a few casting or jigging.

Didn't take long for the birds to start diving and fish swirls on top of water. Before the action started, I trolled four rods. The birds started their action and 2 rods get hit. Total of 3 fish, 2 keepers and a short.  One was 22", other a fat 24".

Had my neighbor with me and he loves jigging and casting. So that's what we did for the next 2 hours. Caught fish , but they weren't the size we wanted, so back they went.  I did catch a keeper( fat25") on a top water lure, and had a good time reeling it in.

Never did find the other large fish so we packed it in and came in.  Great day to be on the water. Good chance I'm going tomorrow, saw the water and weather will be good again.  Correction, now the weather looks iffy, fog in the morning with chance of rain later. Glad I went today, LOL.

Being able to fish and crab has been a part of my life since I was 4 years old.  Have to say that God has been good to me. I have a lot of memories on the Chesapeake Bay and hope to acquire many more.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:04:10 PM by evinrude 130 » Logged
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »

Nice . I'm headed to the Wye tomorrow to get another meal before the crab shut down. Hope to snag a Rock as well.

A day on the water adds a day to life.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »

Good luck tomorrow, the MD reports seem to have stopped recently. Those folks on the NJ side are showing some nice reports with pics.  Be looking for your post.
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:16:35 AM »

Thanks, headed down the coast in about 15 minutes.

A day on the water adds a day to life.
Rcr29kh1
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:53:56 AM »

Got out around 1:30 today , great water conditions and great weather.  Went to the spot the last time a caught rockfish. Lots of bait on the finder, sitting birds. Plenty of others out fishing. Most were trolling and a few casting or jigging.

Didn't take long for the birds to start diving and fish swirls on top of water. Before the action started, I trolled four rods. The birds started their action and 2 rods get hit. Total of 3 fish, 2 keepers and a short.  One was 22", other a fat 24".

Had my neighbor with me and he loves jigging and casting. So that's what we did for the next 2 hours. Caught fish , but they weren't the size we wanted, so back they went.  I did catch a keeper( fat25") on a top water lure, and had a good time reeling it in.

Never did find the other large fish so we packed it in and came in.  Great day to be on the water. Good chance I'm going tomorrow, saw the water and weather will be good again.  Correction, now the weather looks iffy, fog in the morning with chance of rain later. Glad I went today, LOL.

Being able to fish and crab has been a part of my life since I was 4 years old.  Have to say that God has been good to me. I have a lot of memories on the Chesapeake Bay and hope to acquire many more.

When you were trolling did you use any planers or just drag behind boat.  Yeah the NJ reports are ridiculous

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »

I was just dragging the lures using in-line sinkers on 2 rods, a 22 OZ bell for bottom bouncing and one rod was just without any weight, but out about 100'. As soon as the rods went down, we reeled them in with the fish, then put them away. My friend loves casting and jigging, so that's what we did for several hours. We caught fish, but most were just about 21", 22", so we threw those back in hope of bigger fish.

There was a boat using planers, but he was careful due to all the other boats around. It probably limited his trolling course to where the fish and birds were. Good 10-15 boats in one small area.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »

good job , enjoy your catch

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »

I heard fish were at Baltimore light nice job getting on them. Have you tried the mouth of the Magothy at Gibson island where the rocks are ?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

Today, the  rock were channel side of the Baltimore Light. You weren't the only one who heard, it was a parking lot today.  And a little farther north too. Fish busting on top at periods of time. I had already caught my limit by trolling. I cast a top water lure behind the boat about 80' and just dragged it. Pretty neat to see the rock chase it.  Caught 2 like that.

I also have been having success casting a 5" storm shad. Caught the biggest fish yesterday that way.  You can see bait fish swimming near the surface at times, the size of that storm shad. Pretty neat seeing the rock bust the top of water . You actually see the baitfish jump out of the water to avoid being dinner, LOL.

I saw boats trolling the river and just outside of the mouth. Didn't see anyone catching while I passed thru. I'll bet they are though, the bait should be or should have started to leave the river.  I've trolled the river and the mouth before and caught keepers in years past.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:21:23 PM by evinrude 130 » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 01:59:33 PM »

I hope to get out one more time before it gets to cold. But i also want to shoot a buck this year.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home