May 20, 2018, 07:22:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn 11/02/17  (Read 1921 times)
skiffman19

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:12:24 AM »

Crabbed the Severn today from 8:05 till 11, managed to get 47 keepers.Had 3 females,1 sally and 15 under size.Those fishy tasting things were in 18 to 20 feet.Hope to go 1 more time.
skiffman19

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:48:36 AM »

The females,sally and under size males went back in the river.I should of stated that when i posted it,but could not see how to edit the post.Sorry.
Bobber Down

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:27:36 AM »

Sure glad someone likes those fish tasting Crabs on the Severn.  I sure don't.  Shitski tasting Crabs coming from that River, especially in June month.  Enjoy em !!
crabracer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:40:52 AM »

Skiff man , What were you using for bait ?  Trotline or traps? Thanks for the report sounds like you did good !!!!!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »

Skiffman, way to go. It was a great weather day too. Enjoy them crabs. Eating steamed crabs in November is sweet.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

I think it's about time our resident troll chimes in with his unbridled enthusiasm of the release of your female crabs. I hope he doesn't miss this opportunity since he has absolutely nothing else to offer. I wish you would have kept them.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »

I think it's about time our resident troll chimes in with his unbridled enthusiasm of the release of your female crabs. I hope he doesn't miss this opportunity since he has absolutely nothing else to offer. I wish you would have kept them.
GO FOR IT RICK :

I gotta agree with you on keeping them FEMALE CRABS if only to WIZZ HIM OFF he never posts anything of value on here,  gripping about keeping female crabs !!

B G

P.S. How did you do the last time out?   I know that you always catch something.

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »

We got 51 and really had to work for them. Not one female all day and only one short, and he barely missed. Mostly all were well over 6", the biggest being 8 1/4". He was the only one over 8", but several in the 7's. It was cold and extremely windy, and we had to move several times to somewhat find them. I believe my season is over at this point. With the passing of my son and building of two houses, we really didn't get out as much as I hoped. But we seemed to make the most of each trip. I have to say, in years past, I have gotten many, many more crabs than I did this season. But I cannot remember when the quality and size of the crabs has been any better for us than it was this season. From start to finish. I'm pretty pleased with 2017.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »

WAY - TO - GO  RICK :

I am glad that you got to go this season, I know that you had feelings that hurt you but know that he is in a much better place than we are with all of this B S going on people killing people with guns and idiots killing people driving over them in the name of WHAT ? I only got to go crabbing once this year and that was when the Bride and I were on vacation.  If you took crabs from the Wye River, say no more they are the best IMHO . I have a lot of pictures that I took over the years of times that I went crabbing some of them in the Wye some of them in The Gunpowder and some of them in the Bush River, maybe I'll post some of them this winter. I put my boat to bed over the winter, she is up on wood blocks so the tires are floating. I have 30 metal traps that I made but never used this summer under the cover along with 30 two Ring Net Ring Nets and all of my other gear for Crabbing. I need to make another adjustable Measuring tool out of Stainless Steel. I might get to crab once more in that beautiful Wye River once more if I make it thru this winter. We are going to make some plans happen to come to see you soon, I'll keep in touch partner.

Your Friend 

Bob & His BRIDE  ( ARLENE )  G  >>>> LATER !

Get it on !
Crabbygene
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »

Nice

I'm a crabbing machine.

skiffman19

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:33 PM »

crabracer,i was using chicken necks on 1200' of snood line.

wallco99,resident troll?On females as you know we rec. can't keep them and i wouldn't keep them anyway.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 11:29:25 PM »

wallco99,resident troll?On females as you know we rec. can't keep them and i wouldn't keep them anyway.
wallco99 WAS NOT DIRECTING  THAT REMARK TO YOU. iT WAS DIRECTED TO SOMEONE IN N J  WHO HAS A FIXATION ON RELEASING FEMALE CRABS EVEN THOUGH THE FEMALE CRAB IS LEGAL FOR RECT'S TO KEEP. I JUST THOUGHT THAT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW. i HOPE THIS DON'T GO ANY FURTHER THAN THIS !

Get it on !
skiffman19

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »

bgfishhook1,  Not on my part,i'm new here.I just like to read and post my crabbing efforts.Thanks
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »

Definitely not aimed at you. r_ventura23 knows who it was for.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »

Thanks for feeling the way many of us rec crabbers do. You are part of the reason the crabs keep showing up every year. It's a no brainer on letting females go so they can make that trip to the ocean in the fall. Until the laws are change to protect female crabs, The stock will continue to have up and down years.  Hoping one day all the states realize that. MD has a head start on it along with Virginia. Louisiana is starting to think about the crab stocks too.

If it wasn't for the incomes involved, I'm sure more would do it.  IMHO

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »

Thanks for feeling the way many of us rec crabbers do. You are part of the reason the crabs keep showing up every year. It's a no brainer on letting females go so they can make that trip to the ocean in the fall. Until the laws are change to protect female crabs, The stock will continue to have up and down years.  Hoping one day all the states realize that. MD has a head start on it along with Virginia. Louisiana is starting to think about the crab stocks too.

If it wasn't for the incomes involved, I'm sure more would do it.  IMHO
I'm not saying that releasing them is not the right thing to do. I am just tired of the same, single individual repeating it in every single post every time he gets on here.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »

I'm not saying that releasing them is not the right thing to do. I am just tired of the same, single individual repeating it in every single post every time he gets on here.

DITTO TO WHAT HE SAID !  IT IS GETTING OLD .
 B G .

Get it on !
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »

EH, worse things in life if you know what I mean. Use ignore, I love it.  Ventura posts some great reports and shows his kids too. Those kids are catching and eating crabs at a young age.  I hope the crabs are just as plentiful in years to come ,like they are now. The release the female crabs is more about the future for those kids and others. It's a worthy cause IMHO.  Heck, even the commercial side has those that want the possibility their kids will continue the waterman traditions. Depleted resources like crab and fish mean that tradition is in trouble. No one wants that scenario.

The MD DNR started years ago on recs not catching females. It has had an affect and more needs to be done. Doing nothing at all is unacceptable for folks who crab to eat them for a meal.  Other states would be wise to follow if they feel the crab population is critical.  Louisiana started last year in shutting down for a month on crabbing. I believe they plan on doing it this year also.  Being proactive is a good thing. Reacting when stocks are at a critical stage could be too late.

But the female issue has been rehashed over and over. Time, as usual, will tell us what the crabbing will be like. But you have to appreciate the efforts by recs that don't keep females even if the law allows it. I thank those folks for doing it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home