February 23, 2018, 09:42:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye River - 11/03/2017  (Read 2388 times)
polarkraft

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:32:19 PM »

I was able to finally get out on a weekday this year. Left the dock (solo again) just before 11 am. 1st stop was the area that produced last week (Thanks Jim!). Dropped 19 Perfectionist ring nets and 7 box traps all with clams except for 5 ring nets and 1 box trap with chicken. The 1st run yielded 0 crabs! I decided to pull up and head out towards the mouth, so I could run to eastern bay if I wanted to fish later. I did get 2 crabs on the pickup run.

This time everything was baited with clams. Dropped in 10'-20' to scope out the area that I have never crabbed in. On the 1st run I got 6 nice crabs and it was steady the rest of the day at all depths. The best run was 8 and the worst run was 2. Also threw back 5 females, more than a dozen of small crabs less than 5.5" and 3 nasty horseshoe crabs! Ended the day with well over a half bushel and looking forward to enjoying them over the weekend! I did not have any luck trolling in eastern bay or casting the shore line.

The water was so clear you could clearly see the crabs 8'-10' down as they were being pulled up.

Traps or ring nets with clams seems to be the ticket right now in 10-20'! All of the folks that I talked to today with trot lines using clams or chicken caught 6 or less. Crabbers with traps and chicken had little or no luck either.  Good luck!
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 10:46:58 PM »

WTG even a bad day on the water is better than a good day at work.
I am glad that you got some nice looking crabs to enjoy. Your pict's
are awesome I love them. Thanks for your report.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
Captain Claws

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 11:54:35 PM »

Polar,
I think i am speaking for the majority when i say the WYE has been HOT or NOT all year! I have crushed 2 Bushel on chicken Necks one week then caught 28 total the next. Went back 2x with 1200' of line 1/2 CN & 1/2 Clams and caught more on the Chicken. I cant figure them out this year! Last year i could run my bait 2-3x and still nail them and this year if i didnt rebait i didnt catch'em! Do you have luck with the razors most of the times that you use them?

CC
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:44:00 AM »

WTG even a bad day on the water is better than a good day at work.
I am glad that you got some nice looking crabs to enjoy. Your pict's
are awesome I love them. Thanks for your report.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BGFISHHOOK1

Unless you work on the water

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 06:30:06 AM »

Nice job tracking them down. I think we chatted as you were pulling and headed out toward the bay. We only seen 2 crab the entire day from 8 to noon. Was a great day to be on the hunt. Elvis has left the building, until next year, tight line everyone!

A day on the water adds a day to life.

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »

Yep I guess you are right Chris, if you made your living
on the water then it is considered WORK >>>> I THINK ??

Get it on !
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

Polar,
I think i am speaking for the majority when i say the WYE has been HOT or NOT all year! I have crushed 2 Bushel on chicken Necks one week then caught 28 total the next. Went back 2x with 1200' of line 1/2 CN & 1/2 Clams and caught more on the Chicken. I cant figure them out this year! Last year i could run my bait 2-3x and still nail them and this year if i didnt rebait i didnt catch'em! Do you have luck with the razors most of the times that you use them?

CC

Captain C,

I have also had similar inconsistent luck with chicken or clams on the line at times and only switch to clams when I have to. For me clams work best spread out every other snood on my line (10'-16' vs. at 5'-8') and not alternating with chicken. I've tried either method, especially when I don't have enough clams. In warmer water (Aug-Sept) I have had times where chicken did much better than clams, typically this was in the afternoon with fresh chicken in the nets vs. clams that had been in the water all morning long.

With the chicken I like smaller 1"-2" pieces on the line with my 5'-8' snood spread on the line. For the nets or traps I always snip off a half inch on every bait to expose some fresh marrow. I always give the baited clams bags a little smack or 2 to bust them up a bit, others have suggested not breaking them. Cracked clams have always worked better for me, but if you're trying to reuse them leaving whole would likely be best.

With the water being so clear now and crabs going deep, I don't think the trot line is worth it on the Wye right now, maybe in other areas its still good. Traps or ring nets with clams is the best bet right now on the Wye.

Good luck!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »

good job ,WTG

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »

To quote my 87 year old mentor: 

"If you love your job you never have to work a day in your life."
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »

Anyone have any idea what these reddish-orange dots are on the top of this crabs shell? I've seen them before, but could never explain what they are... no signs of them after steaming them today.

polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »

Did not get to steam them till today. Only had 3 die since Friday, kept 16 pounds. of ice on the lid in the shade for 2 days. They were some of the best all year!

Here's a pick of the biggest one this trip, just under 8.5"! Going south on the next trip.

skiffman19

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »

polarkraft,WTG.Nice report,pictures and that 8 1/2 incher in really nice.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »

Way to go. Great report with really nice before and after crab pics. Also that big crab is neat. You keeping the shell?
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »

Good work!  Glad you got out

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"
LewCrab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »

Nice work enjoy

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!

Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »

Anyone have any idea what these reddish-orange dots are on the top of this crabs shell? I've seen them before, but could never explain what they are... no signs of them after steaming them today.

https://www.bluecrab.info/diseases.html

Read last entry, possible.
Captain Claws

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »

Gentlemen,
I am going to make 1 last go at them this season on Sunday. I am heading to Crisfield! Have any of you heard any feed back of if they are still running this there or not? Just in case i will have my poles to do some Rockfish trolling as well!

CC
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »

Way to go. Great report with really nice before and after crab pics. Also that big crab is neat. You keeping the shell?

I gave that 8.5" crab to a friend along with 11 other nice ones. They will likely do something with it and were looking forward to picking them tonight! One of these days I want to send a really big one to the taxidermist. The one in the picture was missing a claw. so that's why I did not consider that one.

polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »

https://www.bluecrab.info/diseases.html

Read last entry, possible.

Summertop - Thanks for sharing the link!! That's some very helpful information, especially on the pepper crabs! Always wondered about those blacks specks found in crabs occasionally.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:50:46 PM by polarkraft, Reason: typo » Logged
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »

Gentlemen,
I am going to make 1 last go at them this season on Sunday. I am heading to Crisfield! Have any of you heard any feed back of if they are still running this there or not? Just in case i will have my poles to do some Rockfish trolling as well!

CC

I have not heard of anything in that area yet. I probably won't be able to go that far till after Thanksgiving. Hoping to go to the Hoopers Island area or Little Choptank area on Saturday if I can get out... If time is tight I might just go back to the Wye on Saturday.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home