May 20, 2018, 03:13:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last trip by force, not choice 11/5/17  (Read 2212 times)
TAJcrabs

@tajacks10

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »

Headed down to Elliotts Island to try a late trip, got em there the previous week so I thought what the heck. Wife had a baby shower to attend so I loaded up the kids and off we went. After I put the boat in the water I thought something didnt look right on the trailer, maybe because of the wheel bending in about 20 degrees, ut oh!!!!!!! Looked at the axle and saw a bend and a crack...THe whole thing is pretty chewed up from the salt, even with regular spray downs and cleaning after, No bueno! Well, boat is already in the water, so might as well go play with the kids and not let them know there was a problem just yet.. Laid the line in 8-10' and did 3 runs, no crabs, moved the line to 4-6' and got about a dozen on 3 runs. Picked it up and let the kids throw some lines out with bloodworms. Got a few little Rock and couple nice perch then called it a day with the little ones getting cranky. Headed back to the ramp to pray my way home.. Had 26 miles to cover and felt every bump and curve but was able to baby my way home at 30-40mph and PTL when I got there. I was wanting to try another spot later this week, but now its fix a trailer time. Been a good season, had some great time with family and friends. Cant wait till April!! 
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »

Glad you made it back ok, and was able to get out on the water for a while. Those trailer problems can happen at any time it seems like. I had a wheel like that 2 years ago when I jacked it up wheel fell to the ground was on rte 404 at the time. The wheel bearing nut  worked its way right over the cotter pin and took out most of the threads on the axle.
Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »

I know your pain. Heading to the ramp one morning I look in the mirror and saw a little less of the boat then normal. By time got to the water I couldn't see it an now know something isn't right. Bent the frame of the trailer, right where a support is mounted. Had to take everything out of the boat for the ride home but made it with no sparks.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »

I hit a storm drain on Rt 202, a few years back, and snapped my axle off right at the wheel. That was a butt ton of fun. It had to be flat bedded away to a repair shop, and  the tire and the broken tire were hanging off both sides of the flat bed during the transport. I didn't think he was going to make it.
And my last trip to the Wye, a week and a half ago, we apparently lost one of the rollers on the trailer in the morning while launching in the dark. We had to wrap the shaft in towels and rope as to not gouge the bottom of my boat with the roller shaft when re-loading in the afternoon. It still sits that way in my driveway while awaiting the parts.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:21:58 PM »

Well guys if you own a boat and a trailer you just know that you are going to have problems.
Remember guy's If it has BREASTS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA GIVE YOU TROUBLE !

Two years ago I folded up camping for good at Millsboro Delaware on Oak Forest Camp ground.
About two miles from the campground I spotted smoke pouring off of the Starboard side of my boat.
I pulled off of the road to find the fender down on top of the tire so off comes the fender.
Not taking the time to look for the problem we were on our way again. I drove the rest of the way to
Lancaster county ( WILLOW STREET PA ) 130 miles away and backed FISHHOOK1 into my driveway
and unhooked her from my truck. The next morning I was inspecting the trailer and I found two broken
leaf springs which I installed new on the trailer two years ago. Looking a little closer something on
the Starboard side of the trailer just didn't look right so I got down on the ground and scooted under
the trailer to find the frame just behind the axle was broken and hanging down. I do not know how I
managed to get this rig back home in one piece but I do know that the man up above must have
given me a lot of help. It took me the whole crabbing season last year to find a like new trailer that
has never been in salt water. I salvaged most of what was still good on the old trailer and scrapped
that rusted out thing. Don't be fooled guy's she may look really good on the outside but she might be
rusted out on the inside where you can't see it. I've had wheel bearings go out and weld the inner
race fast to the axle, I.ve had a tire go flat while dtiveing down the road so I have had my share
of problems when it comes to Boats and Trailers in my 78 years I've been there and I've done that and 
it is NO FUN EITHER ! Just pray that nobody gets hurt that's all that you can do, and travel on down the road.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »

Me and brother in law had a blowout on his 2 axle trailer a few years back on on Delaware Rt1. We were bout 2 miles from where he kept boat.  of course no spare.   We ended up jacking up flat as high as it would go and tieing it up.  Went on down the hiway on 3 tires.  About 1/2 mile from our exit a trooper pulled up next to us.  I thought uh o, this ain't good. The trooper just stared at us, shook his head, and sped off.  He must of been on his way home?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »

HC thats what we did about 8 years ago going to cheaspeake beach to launch for opening day of trophy rockfish season. We were about 2 miles from the ramp and same thing ,no spare so we jacked it up and tied it with good dock line, launched the boat fished till we got our limit then went in early and took the boat to deale to a parts store and fixed it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home