February 17, 2018, 10:08:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAGOTHY RIVER AND LITTLE MAGOTHY 11/5/17 0830-1230 OVER? YEP!  (Read 1796 times)
premson423

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

10 TRAPS DROPPED IN 16-20 FEET NETTED 0
TROTLINE DROPPED IN 13-17 FEET NETTED 0
TROTLINE DROPPED IN 6-8 FEET OF LITTLE MAGOTHY NETTED 2 KEEPERS AND 1 FEMALE

I EXPECTED A BETTER FALL SEASON BUT OVERALL CRABBING FROM LATE APRIL TILL HALLOWEEN WAS GOOD.
HOPING FOR A MILD WINTER.

NEXT YEAR WILL BE DROPPING 30 RING TRAPS CUSTOM MADE OVER THE WINTER.

HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON TO ALL MEMBERS THAT POST ON THIS SITE.

SOMEONE SMARTER THEN ME OUT THERE COULD EXPLAIN DNR'S REASONING FOR 1/2 HOUR AFTER SUNRISE AND 1/2 HOUR BEFORE SUNSET RULE WHEN THE DAYLIGHT HOURS ARE SO SHORT AS IT IS!

DID ANYONE EVEN SEE DNR AFTER 10/1/17? NEVER SAW THEM ONCE AND I'M ON THE WATER 5 DAYS A WEEK IN
 THE AFTERNOONS
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »

Nice try sorry you did not get much cant wait till next year myself
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »

Well, it had to end eventually. Kudos to those still catching though.  Nice photo of that crab, great colors on the claws.

Premson, you had some great results this year with pics. Hope to finally see you sometime next year.  

As for explaining DNR's rationale about time, who knows, definitely not me. Hope nothing changes with the regulations for next year, with the exception of less females taken in the fall.

But I would like to see the crab season open on May 1st and the size limits increased by 1/4". That's just me personally though. Maybe others might feel that way.

I'm getting ready to go fishing in an hour. Hope the rockfish are still where they were last Thursday and Friday.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »

nice pic . hope next season is a great one

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Straw Hatter

A crab in the net is worth two in the water !

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »

The only theory I've heard on the "after sunrise" start time that makes any sense is that duck hunting starts in October.  To reduce possible casualties amongst the crabbers, they push the time back until it's lighter outside.  So comm's start at sunrise, and then recs start 30 mins later.

SH

arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »

But I would like to see the crab season open on May 1st and the size limits increased by 1/4". That's just me personally though. Maybe others might feel that way.

I'm  happy with it starting on April 1st. The 1/4 inch increase would be fine by me.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »

comm sunrise and recs 1/2 hr later. Some comm wanted this time frame for oct- nov crabbin due to cooling water and crabs being more active once the sun gets up and warms a bit .as far as starting may 1st and 1/4 in bigger i'm all for that for the recs if they want it but not for comm.
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »

Since comms can practically keep anything that falls in their net, I think the proposed new regs would be best served on them.
ringer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »

I make my own rings. how do you make yours
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »

10 TRAPS DROPPED IN 16-20 FEET NETTED 0
TROTLINE DROPPED IN 13-17 FEET NETTED 0
TROTLINE DROPPED IN 6-8 FEET OF LITTLE MAGOTHY NETTED 2 KEEPERS AND 1 FEMALE

I EXPECTED A BETTER FALL SEASON BUT OVERALL CRABBING FROM LATE APRIL TILL HALLOWEEN WAS GOOD.
HOPING FOR A MILD WINTER.

NEXT YEAR WILL BE DROPPING 30 RING TRAPS CUSTOM MADE OVER THE WINTER.

HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON TO ALL MEMBERS THAT POST ON THIS SITE.

SOMEONE SMARTER THEN ME OUT THERE COULD EXPLAIN DNR'S REASONING FOR 1/2 HOUR AFTER SUNRISE AND 1/2 HOUR BEFORE SUNSET RULE WHEN THE DAYLIGHT HOURS ARE SO SHORT AS IT IS!

DID ANYONE EVEN SEE DNR AFTER 10/1/17? NEVER SAW THEM ONCE AND I'M ON THE WATER 5 DAYS A WEEK IN
 THE AFTERNOONS

I use 20 net ring traps when I'm crabbing alone from the bow of my bass boat using trolling motor.  
I have trouble pulling net rings (or is it ring net?) from bigger boat (no trolling motor) because I can't pull em straight up and once in awhile they'll turn over and lose crab coming outta water.  So when using boat without trolling motor I prefer topless traps.
I have 6 of Jim's perfectionist traps and 14 cheapo Memphis Net traps.  Really don't see any difference in which  net ring traps catch better.  Jim's traps are much better quality and will probably outlast Memphis traps for sure.  They cost about 4 times as much as cheapo Memphis Net traps but will they last more than 4 times as long?  Dunno, hope I live long enough to find out.  The best advantage to having Jim's traps is he's a good local guy and is fun to talk with. and they take up much less space.  I don't know anybody at Memphis Net and probably never will.

as far as which traps catch more, ring net opposed to topless,  I don't see any real difference.

and as far as wasting that hour of crabbing time beginning Oct 1.    Only possible reason I can come up with is it gives duck and goose hunters time to get into their blinds so crabbers know not to be crabbing where people are hunting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:40:24 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »

Since comms can practically keep anything that falls in their net, I think the proposed new regs would be best served on them.

Other than sooks, and some comm licenses are male only, what are you talking about.   Roll Eyes Typical of someone who only wants sanctions for one group.  They abide by the same 5" and 5.25" seasons like everyone.  Maybe they are using a magic cull box that lets " anything that falls in their net" become legal. laugh laugh
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »

Other than sooks, and some comm licenses are male only, what are you talking about.   Roll Eyes Typical of someone who only wants sanctions for one group.  They abide by the same 5" and 5.25" seasons like everyone.  Maybe they are using a magic cull box that lets " anything that falls in their net" become legal. laugh laugh
Just responding to his "sanctions for one group" comment a few posts back. So no need to be a hero. But thanks anyway. Other than sooks, unlimited bushels, and limitless gear to catch them is what you meant to say.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »

Just responding to his "sanctions for one group" comment a few posts back. So no need to be a hero. But thanks anyway. Other than sooks, unlimited bushels, and limitless gear to catch them is what you meant to say.

Limitless gear... 300/600/900 pot limit..   Huh  unlimited trotline.. and there is a point where you waste bait so...  bushel limits are dictated by the market, if there isn't one then they have bushel limits put in from their buyers, it doesn't need government regulation.  You are under the delusion that these guys are going out and pulling dozens of baskets of "good crab" from the bay and its tributaries, they don't keep the white trash I see posted on here so they throw back more than they keep most of the time. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  But hey Wally lets sanction one group.. yeah  how about all out of state residents that come here and rape Maryland waters for a few buck license. Grin Cheesy
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »

Yeah, how about it. You act like the State of Maryland taxpayers "stock" the waters with crabs, and out-of-staters come and get them. It's not like these are private ponds on people's personal properties. These are rivers that are connected to bays that are connected to oceans. So the crabs are a national resource, some of which swim into the rivers within the Maryland state border lines. So regardless of what you have programmed yourself to believe, these crabs don't belong to you just because you live in a certain state, but rather anyone who wishes to go after them on these inter-connected waterways.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »

Yeah, how about it. You act like the State of Maryland taxpayers "stock" the waters with crabs, and out-of-staters come and get them. It's not like these are private ponds on people's personal properties. These are rivers that are connected to bays that are connected to oceans. So the crabs are a national resource, some of which swim into the rivers within the Maryland state border lines. So regardless of what you have programmed yourself to believe, these crabs don't belong to you just because you live in a certain state, but rather anyone who wishes to go after them on these inter-connected waterways.

Exactly....  but wait.. you are all for sanctioning 1 group.  So you should be all in on this one.  Oh that's right, never mind, it doesn't benefit you.    Roll Eyes

Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »

I'm for sanctioning no groups. But if someone is going to post that recs, and recs only, should have even more restrictions than they already do, as rbeard did above, then I will respond by saying that if only one group gets regulated, then yes, it should be the comms.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »

I'm for sanctioning no groups. But if someone is going to post that recs, and recs only, should have even more restrictions than they already do, as rbeard did above, then I will respond by saying that if only one group gets regulated, then yes, it should be the comms.

Like I said.. you are all for regulation just not your own. Roll Eyes  As stated so eloquently above.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »

sorry, i was just making a point that 2 recs thought that some limits would help something and i said i'm all for it as long as it only effects recs because it would effect comm more because of the making a living aspect of the idea. the problems with the crab pop. has nothing to do with when the season starts or the size limits for recs or comm.
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »

Whatever Summertop dude.
ringer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

as I said I also make my own.  use 3/8 pole line guy wire connected by a barrel lug and make my own net using a homemade jig while sitting in den with a fire going

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home