October 23, 2018, 01:06:05 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rut 2017  (Read 2586 times)
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

The time of year that fawns are vulnerable, theres more food available for them, easier food. This isn't the wild west, totally different coyote, where a pack is tackling a mature elk.

These dogs around here are more likely to patrol neighborhoods for rats and someones house cat.

The people that need to worry, imo, are those in deep Dorchester. That's like going back in time. The dogs there I believe can do some damage to herds.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »

We saw a big one just outside of Vienna about 15 years ago. Crossed right across the middle of an open soy bean field in the middle of the day! We were at a big Sporting Clay shoot, maybe all of the activity spooked him out. The only others I have seen were in Colorado and Texas. It's funny you don't hear them yipping around here right at dusk like they do out West.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »

Mikie,
Some people say they hear them, but Ive never heard them and I hunt a lot in areas that are supposed to have a lot of them.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »

Plenty coyotes here.  Early morning, evening and throughout the night they howl. I've seen plenty while in the stand.  I guess just depends where ya at.

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »

They're supposed to be around here, but I've never seen or heard one or talked to anyone who has. I have seen a few tracks that I suspect were coyotes. Gonna' put up a trail cam just to see what all goes by in the dark.

Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »

Coyotes are numerous around here. I read awhile back hunters and trappers are taking 40,000 a year in the state. Increases and expansions continue in Philadelphia and other cities as they adapt to the environment. They are of no real threat to man.

A day on the water adds a day to life.
double E

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:45 AM »

Crabbyd, is that in Calvert?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »

Crabbyd, is that in Calvert?

PG.  It is on our DMP property. 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »

Got this guy on Friday evening just before dusk.  Had 2 little guys in front of me at 20 yards until he showed up.  He decided to chase them but made the mistake to stop in front of me right before I decided to punch him with the bow.  Ran about 100 yards before he piled up.  Right after I hit him and before I could get down, I had another one come in to check out the area.  I was stuck in the tree for almost an hour waiting for the second one to leave.  Had great blood trail all the way to the end.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

this old guy showed up later that evening.

double E

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »

Got this guy on Friday evening just before dusk.  Had 2 little guys in front of me at 20 yards until he showed up.  He decided to chase them but made the mistake to stop in front of me right before I decided to punch him with the bow.  Ran about 100 yards before he piled up.  Right after I hit him and before I could get down, I had another one come in to check out the area.  I was stuck in the tree for almost an hour waiting for the second one to leave.  Had great blood trail all the way to the end.
VERY NICE! Congrats!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »

Very nice!!!

in·teg·ri·ty   
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »

Nice looking deer Crabbyd
lefty87

Doc says I've caught the CRAB FEVER

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »

I seeing that the bucks still have their necks all swole up.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 11:43:09 PM »

Nice job to you and your wife this year crabbyd! I will be taking down a few does now. I have lready taken 2 this year and plan on taking 2 or 3 more.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

Nice job to you and your wife this year crabbyd! I will be taking down a few does now. I have lready taken 2 this year and plan on taking 2 or 3 more.

Thanks.  We are at 6 ( 2- bucks and 4 doe) total so far for the year.  I have 2 buck that have already lost 1/2 their racks.  One is a spike the other was a real nice 8pt.  A little early to be loosing antlers so I'm guessing fighting.

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »

Maybe from fighting?Huh

let the good times roll
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »

Maybe from fighting?Huh

fighting or stress.  I am waiting to see if he shows again.  I now have picks of one that looks like a nice buck but no antlers at all who just showed up a last night.  Thinking maybe the other side is gone now.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »

I think its a little early for bucks to be losing their antlers. I'm guessing fighting as well, you can still see some antler left on that one buck. Definitely broke off, not lost

in·teg·ri·ty   
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »

Deer here won't start dropping theirs till mid February.   I'm going to try to hunt an area that I've hunted many years ago.  Either sex is open till December 31st.  Its a    5 1/2 hour drive from the house but it might pay off.  Another area doesn't open till Dec. 30th and that rut starts around the first full moon in January.

Since we lost the public state land where my camp was I'm not to excited about deer hunting anymore. 

let the good times roll

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home