May 25, 2018, 10:17:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rut 2017  (Read 1990 times)
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »

I think its a little early for bucks to be losing their antlers. I'm guessing fighting as well, you can still see some antler left on that one buck. Definitely broke off, not lost

I saw that also but that was a heck of a fight to break off an antler.  I have been reading that stress, mineral deficit, and acute ehd can do that.  I hope it's just fighting

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »

Deer here won't start dropping theirs till mid February.   I'm going to try to hunt an area that I've hunted many years ago.  Either sex is open till December 31st.  Its a    5 1/2 hour drive from the house but it might pay off.  Another area doesn't open till Dec. 30th and that rut starts around the first full moon in January.

Since we lost the public state land where my camp was I'm not to excited about deer hunting anymore. 

last year we had some still with antlers as late as the end of Feb.  So seeing this was surprising.  The spike was the first one I saw with one missing and that was Fri morning and then this one was Saturday morning. 

good luck Ronnie

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »

Crabby,
I’ve seen and enjoy the many pics you post of the deer on your property. I don’t think they’re deficient in anything. Looks like a very healthy herd. I love seeing the pics

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 04:33:02 PM »

Crabby,
I’ve seen and enjoy the many pics you post of the deer on your property. I don’t think they’re deficient in anything. Looks like a very healthy herd. I love seeing the pics

I didn't think so either and thanks Chris.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »

I haven't seen either of these guys since late summer.  The big guy is 11pts and the "smaller" guy is 8 pts.  Now to see the big guy in day light hours.....  Grin

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »

He didn't get that big by being stupid.  Just have to be there when he is.  Be patient.

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »

He didn't get that big by being stupid.  Just have to be there when he is.  Be patient.

100% correct Ronnie.

I need to have some deer booty around when I am there.  Grin Grin

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »

Their all in panic mode cause of the season, but they’ll settle down.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »

Their all in panic mode cause of the season, but they’ll settle down.

correct....as soon as the first gun shot, everything changes for a while.  We have gotten to the point, we use bow all year long to keep our woods quiet and hopefully less spooked.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:18 PM »

When they become slaves to their stomachs, all bets are off

in·teg·ri·ty   

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:36 AM »

When they become slaves to their stomachs, all bets are off

That is true but its usually the ladies that get them in trouble. laugh laugh

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »

That is true but its usually the ladies that get them in trouble. laugh laugh

esp this time of year.

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »

Crabbyd didn't you say you would let me shoot the 11 pointer?  Roll Eyes Those are some nice deer. I saw 3 of the 4 shooters this year but only had a shot at one and I missed. Clean miss so maybe he will be around later. But I have only seen them 1 time each and not at all on the camera. The does are starting to come back around during the day so the smaller bucks are not bothering them as much. All I had on camera and while I was in the stand was small bucks with a few does. During the beginning of the year I  had 800 pics in 1 day. 80% of them being does and their fawns. Where do all these does go?

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »

Crabbyd didn't you say you would let me shoot the 11 pointer?  Roll Eyes Those are some nice deer. I saw 3 of the 4 shooters this year but only had a shot at one and I missed. Clean miss so maybe he will be around later. But I have only seen them 1 time each and not at all on the camera. The does are starting to come back around during the day so the smaller bucks are not bothering them as much. All I had on camera and while I was in the stand was small bucks with a few does. During the beginning of the year I  had 800 pics in 1 day. 80% of them being does and their fawns. Where do all these does go?

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh  I already have 2 heads at the taxidermy shop.  Not sure I could afford another but let him show up and I will take that chance....   Grin Grin

our does have started to show back up also but for the most part still at night.  The other night we had 15 does/buttons between 2 different cam location at the same time.  They are also hungry.  Over 100lbs of corn in less than a week.  With this cold coming in, I expect to see some more movement during daylight hours. 

good luck, according to my hunting app, the week of Dec 25 is supposed to be hot deer movement wise.

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »

I put out around 30 pounds of corn on the cob yesterday around noon. It takes the deer a little longer to eat the corn off the cob so thought it would last 2 or 3 days. I wanted to get a little more corn out since I'm taking my cousin hunting with me Saturday. All the corn was gone! So put out 40 more pounds of regular corn. I was thinking of pulling the sd card but was thinking to put out some more corn depending on work. So of I have time tomorrow I will pull the card tomorrow.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »

I haven’t seen a deer since opening morning.

in·teg·ri·ty   
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »

I haven’t seen a deer since opening morning.

Chris

Just the dumb young ones for us during the daytime hours.  Hopefully with this cold coming in, we will start to see the bigger ones soon

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »

only dumb one out there is me, lol....but, I'm still gonna head out tonight and try again

in·teg·ri·ty   
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »

I can't wait to hunt in the snow! I will be out tomorrow.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »

Well, Mr. 11pt showed back up this weekend.  Glad he made it through the first gun season.  Now, if he would only show up during daylight hours while one of us are there.

Also noticed more than one buck loosing their antlers and more of them are hanging together again.  Still have a few small ones still sparing but the bigger ones are more out for food then love

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home