May 25, 2018, 07:05:54 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab wire cutters  (Read 1928 times)
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »

I am using side/lineman pliars right now. They are a heavy pair and cut easily. The problem I'm having is leaving burrs. What is a good , easy cutting ,close cutter? I don't want to go pneumatic .
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »

Electric hand held cutting wheel works well.

A day on the water adds a day to life.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »

I was thinking of that. I have 2 from harbor freight They work well for cutting off rusty bolts too. I'll try them today. I have vinyl coated wire and was afraid of grinding off the vinyl on the main wire.  I went to Harbor freight yesterday eve. and bought their 10 in. wire nippers for $7 . They cut closer but I need to apply more pressure to cut the wire.
reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »

I was thinking of that. I have 2 from harbor freight They work well for cutting off rusty bolts too. I'll try them today. I have vinyl coated wire and was afraid of grinding off the vinyl on the main wire.  I went to Harbor freight yesterday eve. and bought their 10 in. wire nippers for $7 . They cut closer but I need to apply more pressure to cut the wire.

For some reason the smaller nippers work better. They also cost twice as much as the bigger ones.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »

Be careful with the cutting wheel, it has a tendency of melting the vinyl on the ends, and looks lousy. I tried using a wire wheel to cut wire shelving, which is similar to the vinyl coated wire that you speak of. It cut it, but it made a mess of the shelves, so I switched to cutters.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:26:00 AM »

That's what I thought. My main purpose with using vinyl is not having to use zinc 1-2 bars per pot. Another $1.70 each per season plus I feel I caught more crabs in vinyl pots vs. galvonized. The down side to vinyl pots is that anti fowling paint doesn't adhere to it very well and I will have to power wash them on the boat perhaps weekly during the warm water season. That doesn't take long and clean pots that don't have the odor of paint catch better IMO.  Without proper tools it is very time consuming. They use pneumatic ( air compressor) wire cutters and hog ring guns that make the job much faster. The best pneumatic wire cutters they claim are friendship brand but I don't know where to buy them. So you need to buy some expensive tools to do it fast. Wire bender, air compressor, pneumatic wire cutters, hog ring gun .It will cost me around $19 t build  my own. They sell the same pot I'm building for $26 .It's definitely not worth the savings to build them myself to save $7 a pot as long as it's taking me to build them. The good news is that I have plenty of time to the start of crabbing season in April and it is somewhat therapeutic . The nippers are a bit more difficult to cut with with the straight forward cutting edge than the side cutter lineman pliars. I think I will grind them down for a closer edge like Reds did. ADD ON  ( When I say " they   I was referring   to Millers Island Crab Pot Company. They are presently backed up with crab pot orders with deliveries into to June and that's with a crew of well experienced crab pot makers. That's why I'm building them myself so I will be ready for an earlier start.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:54:40 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
crabbrgrabbr
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »

I bought and love these side cutters that are flush cut, they leave no rough edges and are very well made. They are available on Amazon or also on Ebay, check them out.

Fastcap flush cut side cutters........ They are around $20 or less if you shop around
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »

Thanks I ordered the fast cap, flush cut, heavy duty, cutters. It cuts nails and I think it is magnetic according to a video which is a nice feature for cutting crab wire . I got it on E-Bay for $19.99    free shipping.
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »

Not a fan of vinyl coated wire for the simple reason moister gets trapped inside. When you use side cutters you are still exposing the end of the wire so a slip here or there wouldn't make much of a difference. I like cutting with the wheel so I can smooth any burrs. With the vinyl, do they sell a touch up/ repair kit for it?  Good luck, I'm keep dipping my traps.

crabbrgrabbr
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:54 AM »

Thanks I ordered the fast cap, flush cut, heavy duty, cutters. It cuts nails and I think it is magnetic according to a video which is a nice feature for cutting crab wire . I got it on E-Bay for $19.99    free shipping.
Trust me, you'll love them.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35:40 AM »

Not a fan of vinyl coated wire for the simple reason moister gets trapped inside. When you use side cutters you are still exposing the end of the wire so a slip here or there wouldn't make much of a difference. I like cutting with the wheel so I can smooth any burrs. With the vinyl, do they sell a touch up/ repair kit for it?  Good luck, I'm keep dipping my traps.
I know . I touch the bare ends with liguid electrical tape. Home Depot. It comes with a brush applicator or you can use a  Q tip as an applicator to touch up the ends.
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »

I know . I touch the bare ends with liguid electrical tape. Home Depot. It comes with a brush applicator or you can use a  Q tip as an applicator to touch up the ends.
Interesting. I figured you had a trick for that. Wonder how the Flex Seal "rubber in a can" would work.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »

it would probably work the same but  liquid electrical tape is less expensive  4oz. for $5.99 at Home Depot.
Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 01:10:17 PM »

If so you might want to check target where you can get the Flex Seal 16 oz. for $14.99 = .94 an oz. vs the $5.99 = 1.49 per oz.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »

Thanks I'll try some next time I run out of liquid electrical tape.

Oneneckatatime

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 06:10:29 PM »

If it doesn't work on the traps you can always use it to plug holes in the boat!  laugh laugh laugh laugh

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »

The flush cuts arrived today and are true flush cuts ,sharp and easy to cut with. From Rok Hardware Irvine Cal. Wish I had them from the start. Thanks
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:05:15 PM »

The flush cuts arrived today and are true flush cuts
So there's no sharp bur whatsoever to be filed off?

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »

So there's no sharp bur whatsoever to be filed off?

No. I can cut the burrs off the pro made crab pot that I bought to pattern off of. They are actually made to cut nails off flush with the surface. I ordered another spare pair today after I used them. You should be able to go back over your pots and recut the burrs off .
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:16:15 PM by Neither Crab » Logged
crabbrgrabbr
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 07:12:02 AM »

I'm glad they worked out for you, it makes it a lot easier to get close to the weld so there's no snags.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home