May 22, 2018, 09:38:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: turtle excluders and crab traps  (Read 788 times)
J-Philla

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »

here in Tx they are doing a 2yr survey to determine the bycatch of turtles in the texas blue crab fishery.  the turtle excluders are way smaller than the one that i think that some of ya'll use up on the east coast ours are 1.3/4inx 4 3/4in.  how do you think that such a small opening will affect the catch of large male #1's?  i also catch a large volume of stone crab where i fish, and most of them have claws that are way to big to fit in suck a small opening.  how has gear bycatch devices affected ya'lls businesses where these devices are law nowdays.  the primary species of turtle that they are worried about is the diamond terrapin, and in 5 years of fishing my area i've only caught 2.

thanks
Capt. Josh
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »

That is the exact same size that is required up here. In Maryland the excluders are only required in pots put out by waterfront property owners. The commercial guys can only set their pots in the main stem of the Bay and the turtles aren't out there, they're primarily up in the creeks and rivers. As far as size of the crabs, I've caught plenty of really big crabs with the turtle device installed, even muskrats! Also plenty of turtles - it was just another "feel good" law that was sold to the pols by a bleeding heart do gooder! The biggest detriment to the turtles are the property owners that don't check their pots regularly.
Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:05 PM »

Have to start using them here next year but mostly rivers and up creeks.Starting with the smaller ones not the larger ones (smh)
maybe they will keep some spider crabs out in the spring
gcs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »

The excluders only keep out the large female turtles, but they do keep the funnel integrity strong and it helps keep the crabs from going in and out of the entrances. Pots with excluders seem to catch better, and big crabs don't seem to mind.
Get the turtle people or your state to pay for them if they pass a law, that's what they did here, let em put up or shut up....

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home