May 23, 2018, 01:18:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clamming Resource Advice? Also a Crab Report Shrews 11/11/17  (Read 3031 times)
russo

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »

Looking for clamming advice, but first:

Crabbed Shrews 11/11 with 12 chicken baited box nets for 4 hours in the morning and hit our bushel goal. All males, mostly in the low 5" range.

Now about that clamming.. I've never gone before. I'm looking for any and all resources/advice that anyone is kind enough to give, including permit information. I'll be clamming the Shrews from a 14ft jon boat with electric trolling motor. Bought a clam rake already.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »

good job , enjoy your catch

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »

Most of the Shrewsbury River is off limits for recreational clamming. It is in a restricted area which means the clams must go to a depuration plant before consumption. There is a small area where it is classified as seasonal where clamming is allowed from November to April. See attached, area in brown is restricted,yellow is seasonal and red is prohibited   
Arbutis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »

send me an e-mail.
[email protected]

I'll tell you everything you need to get started and go with you if you want to get your feet wet.
russo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »

Most of the Shrewsbury River is off limits for recreational clamming. It is in a restricted area which means the clams must go to a depuration plant before consumption. There is a small area where it is classified as seasonal where clamming is allowed from November to April. See attached, area in brown is restricted,yellow is seasonal and red is prohibited   

Thank you!

russo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »

Thanks to everyone that reached out via email to help me. Love this online community!
JOHN M.O.T.

He who loves the ocean is my brother

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »

Give me a shout if you want to go. I also clam Barnegat Bay as well. You don't have to have a boat to clam.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving
russo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »

Give me a shout if you want to go. I also clam Barnegat Bay as well. You don't have to have a boat to clam.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Thank you John, I'll reach out!
lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »

My Season ended 2 weeks ago until Spring.  2 Times out Limit each time of differently sized clams no need of any Boat or elaborate rakes. I clam the Flats with 4 claw garden rake since the clams are only 4-5 inches down no need to dig deeper.  The only advice is to use the Low tide and keep track or the Incoming. or you will have to Swim back. John boat bad Idea to Rake.  Yes this is The Shrewsbury. Good Luck Stay safe Stay Dry. Bill
russo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »

My Season ended 2 weeks ago until Spring.  2 Times out Limit each time of differently sized clams no need of any Boat or elaborate rakes. I clam the Flats with 4 claw garden rake since the clams are only 4-5 inches down no need to dig deeper.  The only advice is to use the Low tide and keep track or the Incoming. or you will have to Swim back. John boat bad Idea to Rake.  Yes this is The Shrewsbury. Good Luck Stay safe Stay Dry. Bill

Thanks for the info and the report! Hopefully I'll see you out there in the future

JOHN M.O.T.

He who loves the ocean is my brother

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »

Russo,
If you want to get out PM me. There's no ice yet Smiley
russo

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »

Russo,
If you want to get out PM me. There's no ice yet Smiley

Thanks John, I'll let you know when I go out!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

Those are some real nice clams you got! I miss clamming CT this time of year but don't miss the cold at all!
Thanks for the clamming report and good job getting the clams!
There's not too many clams down here but a whole lotta Oysters and I like them too!

Retired in paradise!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »

I just love fried oysters

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »

Rich

So you love fried oysters, well then you should come to the ham & oyster dinner at the Gap Fire Hall " All that you can eat for 30.00.
The BRIDE and I go to this event twice a year, one in April and the other one in October. We have been going to them for over 30 years and they are the best oysters anywhere the ham is good but we go for the oysters. If these large oysters are selling for a buck apiece in the store's  you would have to eat 30 oysters to pay for your dinner, the most that I can eat is 17 or 18 and I think that is a lot. Last year I asked them how many oysters that the bought and the guy told me 97 gallons and a gallon of oysters is about 90 oysters of the large variety  that they use. We can't wait for the second Saturday of April to roll around.They put on a great dinner of Ham & Oysters and all of the other things like corn, green beans, potatoes, home made bread, pepper cabbage, apple butter. apple sauce, cake & ice cream, coffee, & iced tea. I know that I missed something but I don't eat any of that stuff only the Oysters is what I am interested in. If anybody wants to know where this place is and how to get there let me know ASAP .

BGFISHHOOK1  AKA  BOB GIBERSON .

P.S. You can get the Ham dinner only with all the fixin's for a reduced price.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:34:52 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

lostrap

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »

Rich

So you love fried oysters, well then you should come to the ham & oyster dinner at the Gap Fire Hall " All that you can eat for 30.00.
The BRIDE and I go to this event twice a year, one in April and the other one in October. We have been going to them for over 30 years and they are the best oysters anywhere the ham is good but we go for the oysters. If these large oysters are selling for a buck apiece in the store's  you would have to eat 30 oysters to pay for your dinner, the most that I can eat is 17 or 18 and I think that is a lot. Last year I asked them how many oysters that the bought and the guy told me 97 gallons and a gallon of oysters is about 90 oysters of the large variety  that they use. We can't wait for the second Saturday of April to roll around.They put on a great dinner of Ham & Oysters and all of the other things like corn, green beans, potatoes, home made bread, pepper cabbage, apple butter. apple sauce, cake & ice cream, coffee, & iced tea. I know that I missed something but I don't eat any of that stuff only the Oysters is what I am interested in. If anybody wants to know where this place is and how to get there let me know ASAP .

BGFISHHOOK1  AKA  BOB GIBERSON .

P.S. You can get the Ham dinner only with all the fixin's for a reduced price.

Looked it up My reaction Darn it Lancaster 2 Hour drive but lucky you I can put a Hurting some Pa. Ham and Oysters.

All I did was Google Gap Fire Hall Ham Oyster Dinner and Got the Flyer and Hall home page
OBGuy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »

My parents lived in Akron PA for many years, so I know exactly where Gap is.  Are the oysters fried or raw?
sunnyy88s

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »

I've always LOVED clamming, but unfortunately I do not have a boat so it kind of limits where I can go. Any fellow clammers here willing to give me some advice on where I can go if I do not have a boat?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home