June 20, 2018, 12:35:35 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 Year in Review  (Read 4238 times)
jgar529

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »

This year started out looking very bad.  I took a friend of mine crabbing for my first trip of the season on July 16'th.  We crabbed for 3 1/2 hours and only caught 19 crabs.  It was probably the worst I have ever done that late in the season.  I waited another 3 weeks and then things picked up nicely.  Caught my limit every time from August through October.  Went crabbing one last time on October 29'th with my wife and brought home the last two bushels which we just picked for freezing.  Took quite a few friends this year and they went home with a bushel or two as I went into crabbing mode full blast those last couple of months.  Wound up with 77.5 lbs. of crab meat this year in the freezer.  I didn't take a picture as it wouldn't all fit on one table, but a lot of family and friends should be happy this year with this catch.  Since we wound up with a record amount of crab meat my wife and I have decided to find a needy family and share some of our catch this year.  We are donating to a family some of the crab along with some of our vegetables we grew this year.  Hopefully we can make some family very happy this Christmas.  Hope you all had a great year and I am looking forward to 2018.

Thats what I'm talkin' bout!
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »

This year started out looking very bad.  I took a friend of mine crabbing for my first trip of the season on July 16'th.  We crabbed for 3 1/2 hours and only caught 19 crabs.  It was probably the worst I have ever done that late in the season.  I waited another 3 weeks and then things picked up nicely.  Caught my limit every time from August through October.  Went crabbing one last time on October 29'th with my wife and brought home the last two bushels which we just picked for freezing.  Took quite a few friends this year and they went home with a bushel or two as I went into crabbing mode full blast those last couple of months.  Wound up with 77.5 lbs. of crab meat this year in the freezer.  I didn't take a picture as it wouldn't all fit on one table, but a lot of family and friends should be happy this year with this catch.  Since we wound up with a record amount of crab meat my wife and I have decided to find a needy family and share some of our catch this year.  We are donating to a family some of the crab along with some of our vegetables we grew this year.  Hopefully we can make some family very happy this Christmas.  Hope you all had a great year and I am looking forward to 2018.
...That's a really great thing you guys are doing....looking forward to meeting you some day...HAVE A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING..

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »

Same here.  Great gesture.  The Lord takes care of people who takes care of others. 

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »

That is a very commendable thing that you are doing, paying it forward like you guys are doing.. I am from Pa and we read it all the time that people in a restaurant getting treated to a meal, when these people go to pay their bill the cashier tells them " It is already paid for. I have done my share of giving and it is a good feeling when you see that smile on their faces, again you people get two thumbs up from my Bride and me , Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas to all who read this especially the ones who are giving away some of their bounty's. I am proud of you folks !
     2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

BGFISHHOOK1 AKA  BOB &  HIS BRIDE ARLENE G  >>>Tomorrow the 20th we will have been Married 58 years WHEW I'M Getting old !

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »

It's one thing to give somebody a few crabs during the season.  But to pick em out and give during the middle of winter, now that's fantastic.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »

didn't get out at all  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry No crabs to eat  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »

didn't get out at all  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry No crabs to eat  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Tell me about it.    bigcry

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Logical1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »

What is the best method of freezing crabs or crab meat?

There's no place like roam!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 12:15:35 AM »

vac seal

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Muleskinner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »

I've been crabbing the bay for 45 seasons and this year was by far the worst. 6 trips for a total of 40 crabs...my average year is usually 8-10 bushel...most of my friends are seeing similar results...

so when is the moratorium scheduled? or will Annapolis ignore the poor numbers again so the watermen can take the last few remaining crabs?

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »

I've been crabbing the bay for 45 seasons and this year was by far the worst. 6 trips for a total of 40 crabs...my average year is usually 8-10 bushel...most of my friends are seeing similar results...

so when is the moratorium scheduled? or will Annapolis ignore the poor numbers again so the watermen can take the last few remaining crabs?

yeah....it's just the watermen taking the crabs from  the bay.  REALLY?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »

Only really crabbed the first peeler run.  To busy with other projects. Now building more pots and looking forward to next season.  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

Another satisfying year for me with being on the water to have fun and catch something to eat.  What more could anybody want.  My neighbors shared in my catch sometimes also. Karma is a good thing, don't forget that.  Can't go wrong doing the right thing.

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:14:11 PM »

Don't be too quick to blame the watermen for your inability to catch crabs. Crabbing is like fishing that is why they don't call it     " CATCHING " !   You are quick to put the blame on whoever it might be because you cannot catch crabs, or because you don't catch fish or because you do not shoot a Buck every time you walk into the woods. Some of those watermen do make their living on the water day in and day out so people who cannot get out to catch their own can go to a Sea food store and buy them. EASE UP FELLA THE WATERMEN DON"T DESERVE THAT KIND OF LACK OF RESPECT !

Get it on !
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »

Another satisfying year for me with being on the water to have fun and catch something to eat.  What more could anybody want.  My neighbors shared in my catch sometimes also. Karma is a good thing, don't forget that.  Can't go wrong doing the right thing.

EXCEPT IN MY CASE !   HUH.

Get it on !

discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »

My year stunk. Only got out a few times and between motor issues, wind / tide issues, and bad crabbing partners bringing me bad luck, I/we caught a bunch of [curd] this year.  laugh laugh Well, I really can't blame my crabbing partners, or can I?  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thank goodness for the watermen who have endured a bad season, to supply MasterBaiters tackle and Chester River Seafood company with some good crabs because I had to buy most of my crabs this year. MasterBaiters supplied some great crabs for Local 19 Sheet Metal Workers crab feast on Nov 4th. and the last bushel I bought from Chester River Seafood Company on Nov 5th were full, fat, huge, sweet and delicious. So thanks to those watermen who supplied these crabs.

Have a great winter everyone.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 04:30:18 PM »

Glad they finally found their way to you buddy!  Enjoy the offseason.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »

yeah....it's just the watermen taking the crabs from  the bay.  REALLY?

It is quite possible that he and his "friends" suck at crabbing, and that if they are not jumping into the boat don't have the ability to adapt to the ever changing cycles of the weather and crab.   Grin Grin

You want better crabbing....KILL MORE ROCKFISH. Cool
ringer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »

I is heart warming to hear there are good people thanking of others and paying it forward.  Thank you and for wife your generosity and kindness.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »

It is quite possible that he and his "friends" suck at crabbing, and that if they are not jumping into the boat don't have the ability to adapt to the ever changing cycles of the weather and crab.   Grin Grin

You want better crabbing....KILL MORE ROCKFISH. Cool

MAN did you hit the nail right on top of the head. I was thinking the same thing about the Rock fish. When Maryland put that moratorium on Rock fish years  and years ago I was on eastern shore Duck hunting with W G He told me that he caught two Rock fish just to see what they were eating of course it was illegal to do that but what he found out was they were both full of hard crabs, the Rock Fish were eating everything in sight they were even eating their own smaller fish.. You have a valid point but what can be done about it is another question.

Get it on !

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home