August 15, 2018, 05:29:11 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the area and need help  (Read 750 times)
mikeschildt

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »

I recently moved to Lancaster, Pa from Long Island, I crabbed for 40 years on Long Island but now I have no clue where to go. Just wondering if I could get an idea of popular crabbing areas in Maryland. Thank!!!
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:56 PM »

My suggestion would be, now that we are in for some long winter days and nights, that you spend some time reviewing the older posts and you will probably get a good idea of what will fill your needs. Also, you may pick up a few tips that you may not of known of, being new to this area. There are quite a few members that are from your area that I'm sure will chime in. Also, not much used is the "Search Window" (top right) that you can submit a query and all post relating to that will appear.

The Chesapeake is a large area with many, many, many places to try.  Good Luck

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

I recently moved to Lancaster, Pa from Long Island, I crabbed for 40 years on Long Island but now I have no clue where to go. Just wondering if I could get an idea of popular crabbing areas in Maryland. Thank!!!

Plenty of areas in MD. As mentioned , this forum has plenty to offer to you. Most posters share info. Not sure how you crabbed, but handlines, crab traps, and trot lining are mostly used by us recs. As usual, any crabbing in MD needs a license purchased from the MD DNR.

Good luck.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »

i didn't think anyone who handlines  needed a crab lic.?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »

i didn't think anyone who handlines  needed a crab lic.?

also don't need a lic if you use less than 10 traps and keep 2doz or less.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.02.03.10.htm

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.02.03.09.htm

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »

Hope this helps.

Places With Piers in Maryland to Go Crabbing & Fishing
TRAVEL TIPS
Rogue Parrish
Piers abound on the Eastern Shore's Smith Island.
Piers abound on the Eastern Shore's Smith Island.
RELATED ARTICLES
Fishing Piers in Massachusetts
Fishing in Dorchester County, Maryland
Fishing in Colonial New England
Fishing in Bar Harbor, Maine
With an astounding 7,000 miles of shoreline on the Chesapeake Bay alone, Maryland has no shortage of piers where you can drop a hook or wet a dipnet. In fact, folks crab and fish everywhere around the Old Line State. From the busy Potee Street bridge, within view of downtown Baltimore’s skyline, to Point Lookout State Park, near where Captain John Smith first arrived in the New World, you can see why "Maryland is for crabs" -- as well as sea trout, rockfish, carp and more.

The Eastern Shore's Year-Round Mega Pier
If your requirements for fishing and crabbing include a site open 24/7 year-round -- with lights at night along the broad Choptank River -- try Bill Burton Fishing Pier State Park. Formerly the Choptank River Fishing Piers, this pair of two long former bridges lie adjacent to Route 50, where happy vacationers hurtle on the way to Ocean City from Baltimore and D.C. You can observe osprey, deer and muskrats from either the 1-mile Talbot County portion or the half-mile Dorchester County side. Be sure to obtain a fishing license for the croakers, catfish, sea trout and perch you hope to land.

Around Baltimore
Maryland’s biggest city allows you to fish and crab at three locations without a license, but you'll need to take advantage of the free, online registration. You can head east of downtown past Harbor East and Fells Point to Canton Recreational Pier at Boston Street to dip a line. The other two spots are south of downtown. Swing southeast to Locust Point to enjoy Hull Street Recreational Pier. You can also head for Middle Branch Park, south of the Hanover and Potee Street bridges -- or join the small groups fishing from the bridges themselves.

Around Annapolis
Head for the old Route 450 bridge for license-free fishing. As with the Bill Burton Fishing Pier, this is a former bridge converted to a fishing pier. Make sure the crabbing you do -- here and around the state -- is done from April 1 to Dec. 15. You do need a license for crabbing. From a pier, you can use a dipnet or handline. You’re required to return female hard crabs and female peelers to the bay.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »

About regulations

.09 Recreational Crabbing Licenses — Chesapeake Bay and Its Tidal Tributaries.
A. Recreational Crabbing License.

(1) Except as provided in §E of this regulation, an individual who catches or attempts to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries shall pay the fee and obtain a recreational crabbing license in order to use the following gear to catch crabs:

(a) Trotline;

(b) Collapsible traps or net rings;

(c) Up to ten eel pots for catching the individual's own bait, which are:

(i) Clearly labeled with the individual's name, and

(ii) Not placed in a buoy free channel as listed in Regulation .07H of this chapter or COMAR 08.02.05.08F; and

(d) Seines.

(2) The annual fee for a recreational crabbing license to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes from the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries with the gear specified in §A(1) of this regulation is:

(a) For a Maryland resident — $5;

(b) For a Maryland resident, in possession of a Maryland Chesapeake Bay and coastal sport fishing license or a resident consolidated senior sport fishing license — $2;

(c) For a nonresident — $10.

(3) An individual who has purchased a recreational crabbing license shall have the license in possession when:

(a) Engaged in crabbing for recreational purposes with the gear listed under §A(1) of this regulation; or

(b) In possession of more crabs than provided for in the daily catch limits set forth in Regulation .10A(2)(a), A(3)(a) and (b), and A(4)(a) of this chapter and not on a boat that has been licensed as a recreational crab boat.

B. Recreational Crabbing Boat License.

(1) A recreational crabbing boat license authorizes an individual to use the following gear to catch or attempt to catch crabs in the licensed boat in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:

(a) Trotline; and

(b) Collapsible traps or net rings.

(2) The annual fee for a recreational crabbing boat license to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes from the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries with the gear specified in §B(1) of this regulation is $15.

(3) To the recreational crabbing boat licensee, the Department shall issue:

(a) A recreational crabbing boat decal; and

(b) A complimentary recreational crabbing license.

(4) The recreational crabbing boat decal shall be affixed to the boat of the licensee.

C. Complimentary Recreational Crabbing License.

(1) The Department shall issue a complimentary recreational crabbing license to an individual who purchases a:

(a) Recreational crabbing boat license; or

(b) Chesapeake Bay and coastal sport fishing boat license in accordance with Natural Resources Article, §4-745(d)(2), Annotated Code of Maryland.

(2) The individual issued the complimentary recreational crabbing license has the same restrictions as an individual with a recreational crabbing license.

(3) The recreational crabbing boat license and the complimentary recreational crabbing license count as a single license for the individual who purchases the recreational crabbing boat license.

D. Private Waterfront Property Crab Pot Registration.

(1) Only a person who owns or leases private property along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries may obtain a private waterfront property crab pot registration.

(2) A person who owns or leases private property along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries shall obtain a private waterfront property crab pot registration in order to use a crab pot from the person’s property.

(3) There is no fee for a private waterfront property crab pot registration.

E. Exceptions. An individual who catches or attempts to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries is not required to have a recreational crabbing license if the individual:

(1) Uses any of the following gear:

(a) A dipnet;

(b) A handline; or

(c) Up to two crab pots, if qualified to use crab pots as set forth in Regulation .07D of this chapter;

(2) Is assisting an individual who has a recreational crabbing license; or

(3) Is crabbing for recreational purposes from a boat that has been licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »

.10 Recreational Crabbing Catch and Possession Limits — Chesapeake Bay and its Tidal Tributaries.

A. Daily Catch and Possession Limits.

(1) An individual exempt from the licensing requirements of Regulation .09 of this chapter is considered an unlicensed individual and may not exceed the catch and possession limits for an unlicensed individual.

(2) Daily catch and possession limits for individuals harvesting crabs from shore or from crab pots.

(a) Unlicensed individual  2 dozen male hard crabs 1 dozen soft crabs,
1 dozen male peeler crabs,
or a combination of 1 dozen
soft crabs and male peeler crabs  
(b) Licensed individual 1 bushel male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,
2 dozen male peeler crabs,
or a combination of 2 dozen

(3) Daily catch and possession boat limits for a vessel without a recreational crabbing boat license.

(a) One unlicensed individual on board an unlicensed vessel  2 dozen male hard crabs 1 dozen soft crabs,
(b) Two or more unlicensed individuals on board an unlicensed vessel 4 dozen male hard crabs  1 dozen soft crabs,
(c) One licensed individual or one licensed individual accompanied
by any number of unlicensed individuals on board an unlicensed vessel 1 bushel male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,
(d) Two or more licensed individuals or two or more licensed individuals
accompanied by any number of unlicensed individuals on board an unlicensed vessel 2 bushels male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,

(4) Daily catch and possession boat limits for a vessel with a recreational crabbing boat license.

(a) One or more unlicensed individuals on board a licensed vessel 1 bushel male hard crabs 2 dozen soft crabs,
(b) One licensed individual on board a licensed vessel 1 bushel male hard crabs 2 dozen soft crabs,
(c) An individual who purchased a recreational crabbing boat license
accompanied by any number of unlicensed individuals on board a licensed vessel 1 bushel male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,
(d) Two or more licensed individuals accompanied by any number of
unlicensed individuals on board a licensed vessel 2 bushels male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,
(e) One licensed individual, who is not the owner of the licensed vessel,
accompanied by any number of unlicensed individuals on board a licensed vessel 2 bushels male hard crabs  2 dozen soft crabs,

B. Female Hard Crabs and Female Peelers.

(1) Except as provided in §B(2) of this regulation, an individual may not catch or possess female hard crabs or female peelers.

(2) Exceptions.

(a) An individual may possess female peeler or hard crabs if the female crabs are accompanied by a bill of sale.

(b) An individual recreationally harvesting crabs may not be in possession of female peeler or hard crabs.

C. An individual commercially harvesting crabs aboard a vessel may only have crabs that are commercially harvested on board.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »

good crabbing spots from a boat, Chester river and WYE mills,  yje elk rivewr late in the season

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »

good crabbing spots from a boat, Chester river and WYE mills,  yje elk rivewr late in the season

He's looking for areas for traps or handlines to crab from shore or piers.  No boat as of yet. Told him about kayaks.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »

OK my bad

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »

OK my bad

No, not really, he didn't mention it on the post. I found out thru PM's.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »

Plenty of areas in MD. As mentioned , this forum has plenty to offer to you. Most posters share info. Not sure how you crabbed, but handlines, crab traps, and trot lining are mostly used by us recs. As usual, any crabbing in MD needs a license purchased from the MD DNR.

Good luck.
I'm sure you've got him nice and confused now. Way to go.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »

I'm sure you've got him nice and confused now. Way to go.

LOL, I did tell him to release all the female crabs and make sure he spells everything correctly because that's what some posters look for.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure you need a crab license using any number of collapsible traps, or net rings, up to a maximum of 30. I believe you need that license on or off a boat.   Don't need a license if your only using a dipnet or handlines.  But license is cheap, I believe $10 if you live outside of MD.  

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure you need a crab license using any number of collapsible traps, or net rings, up to a maximum of 30. I believe you need that license on or off a boat.   Don't need a license if your only using a dipnet or handlines.  But license is cheap, I believe $10 if you live outside of MD.  
You are correct. That should read "10 eel pots", not "10 traps". Traps require a license, unless you are on a licensed boat or assisting another person who has a license.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home