August 16, 2018, 06:13:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling Crab  (Read 1195 times)
Kodi

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »

This is a very unusual story.  A tagged male crab apparently traveled from Maryland all the way to the west coast of Florida about 30 miles north of Tampa.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2017/12/28/maryland_blue_crab_f.html

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »

Someone already posted this in the proper area of the site, not in the Crabbing Reports. We believe this story is fake news anyway.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »

If it did happen , that is cool

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »

I know that article is still traveling, it's on at least 3 different threads on BCA.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »

Someone already posted this in the proper area of the site, not in the Crabbing Reports. We believe this story is fake news anyway.
Why is it fake news?

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »

Why is it fake news?

Crabs only live a few years. Most crabs shed a few times a year depending on size. It took the cra a few years to travel down to FL without being eaten, caught or shedding for years. I think there is a better chance someone found one of the tags and put it on the crab and let it go or put it in the trap.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »

Why is it fake news?

Someone dropped that crab in the water down there. No way it made it all the way from here to there without going through at least one shed. I don't buy it, and several others on here don't either. On a side note, I have no idea why this topic is still here anyway and has not been moved out of the crab report section. This is crab news, be it FAKE NEWS, still crab news section topic.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »

Or maybe he hitchhiked.  Good friend of mine just captained a boat from Havre de grace to the Gulf a couple months ago. Lots of boats go south in the fall. Cruise ships go from Baltimore to Key West every week or two. Who knows how many navy ships make the trip from Norfolk south. Hard to guess how a crab could stow away but I'm guessing it's possible. Sure would be a good story to know how it happened.  Lassie come home!!

btw, I suspect your right. That tag is really clean. I agree someone probably took the tag to the Gulf and put it on a crab. But that takes all the fun outta the story. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:02:47 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »

"over the course of several years made his way into the gulf and then into King's Bay." This was copied from the article. Hard to believe a crab lived a couple of years without shedding once.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

Or maybe he hitchhiked.  Good friend of mine just captained a boat from Havre de grace to the Gulf a couple months ago. Lots of boats go south in the fall. Cruise ships go from Baltimore to Key West every week or two. Who knows how many navy ships make the trip from Norfolk south. Hard to guess how a crab could stow away but I'm guessing it's possible. Sure would be a good story to know how it happened.  Lassie come home!!

btw, I suspect your right. That tag is really clean. I agree someone probably took the tag to the Gulf and put it on a crab. But that takes all the fun outta the story. 

Ballast water possibly?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »

"over the course of several years made his way into the gulf and then into King's Bay." This was copied from the article. Hard to believe a crab lived a couple of years without shedding once.

Super Crab explains it all, LOL.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home