January 23, 2018, 10:54:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vinyl coated crab pots  (Read 399 times)
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »

I've made up around 30 pots so far from black vinyl 1.5 x 1.5. I used 3/8 rebar on 25 pots . I painted the rebar with flex seal and touched up the metal exposed wire ends with liquid electrical tape. I like the liquid electrical tape better because it is easier to apply and dries in minutes apposed to the flex seal that takes a day to dry. It's worth the extra money . painting the rebar is time consuming so I am trying brick with 10 holes in them , cut in half with a mason chisel with one whack with a hammer. One brick and one piece of 3/8 rebar weigh about 2 lbs. I tie wrap 1/2 brick in adjacent  inside corners of the pot. No rust no need to paint. They use bricks in Lobster pots for weight. I may try a few experimental zinc bars in the pots but don't think I'll need them. The cathode (pot) and anode (zinc) need to be bonded together to work properly. The best way I can figure to do this with a pvc pot is to skin a half mesh on the pot wire then twist the zinc wire to it and then twist the other wire end of the zinc to the opposite side of the pot by using a jumper wire to that skinned half mesh to try to make a complete short circuit within the wire of the pot to maximize the electrolysis action ?
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:19 AM »

2 zincs will work better than just 1...Be sure to attach the zincs to the middle partition....The crabs will eat at the vinyl coating and the wire will be exposed to the salt water in a short time.... Wink
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:17:08 AM »

A friend of mine says he uses 1 zinc the first season and 2 thereafter in vinyl pots . He says he has some pots that are 20 years old. One mistake I see crabbers making is to paint the zinc together with the pot. The zinc is supposed to be connected to bare wire on the pot and not painted . I haven't seen any connected to the partition?
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »

A friend of mine says he uses 1 zinc the first season and 2 thereafter in vinyl pots . He says he has some pots that are 20 years old. One mistake I see crabbers making is to paint the zinc together with the pot. The zinc is supposed to be connected to bare wire on the pot and not painted . I haven't seen any connected to the partition?

Gene knows how to rig crab pots. His family probably invented the damm things.
D3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:31:14 PM »

You strip it on the corner to get contact with each side panel, then strip a mesh along the side and on the divider to get contact with that. One end of the zinc gets twisted around the corner, the other end gets twisted around where the divider and side are stripped. You're going to need zincs.

D3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »

I don't think the wire they're making now will last 20 years left on the roll in a barn.
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »

I've made up around 30 pots so far from black vinyl 1.5 x 1.5. I used 3/8 rebar on 25 pots . I painted the rebar with flex seal and touched up the metal exposed wire ends with liquid electrical tape. I like the liquid electrical tape better because it is easier to apply and dries in minutes apposed to the flex seal that takes a day to dry. It's worth the extra money . painting the rebar is time consuming so I am trying brick with 10 holes in them , cut in half with a mason chisel with one whack with a hammer. One brick and one piece of 3/8 rebar weigh about 2 lbs. I tie wrap 1/2 brick in adjacent  inside corners of the pot. No rust no need to paint. They use bricks in Lobster pots for weight. I may try a few experimental zinc bars in the pots but don't think I'll need them. The cathode (pot) and anode (zinc) need to be bonded together to work properly. The best way I can figure to do this with a pvc pot is to skin a half mesh on the pot wire then twist the zinc wire to it and then twist the other wire end of the zinc to the opposite side of the pot by using a jumper wire to that skinned half mesh to try to make a complete short circuit within the wire of the pot to maximize the electrolysis action ?
I don't see any reason to paint rebars. Those bricks your using with the holes will be more to clean. I think the liquid electrical tape will fly off when you pressure wash.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:21 AM »

D3 I made one up like that yesterday . I think crimping the hog ring to the bare wires should do the trick to tie the 3 main pieces together for electrolysis to work. If the bricks become more work to clean with the pressure washer I'll change them over to more rebar Redbone,. Brick 60 cents. 3/8 Rebar $3.75 . zinc bar $1.70
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »

That's pretty expensive for rebar.  I can get a 20' stick for $5.  Try 84 Lumber, Home Depot or Lowes if you have one in your area.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »

That's pretty expensive for rebar.  I can get a 20' stick for $5.  Try 84 Lumber, Home Depot or Lowes if you have one in your area.

Ronnie
Then you need a bender and a welder

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

Here we use 2 -5/8  22"  pieces of rebar secured to the inside of the trap.  Depending if you're in open water we'll use 3/4 or inside 1/4.

let the good times roll
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »

84,Lowes and HD sell 24 inch pieces around here . 84  has 24in. 3/8 pieces for $1.29. I may try a few . The ones I paid $3.75 for are bent and welded to fit the outside bottom.  On you tube they use bricks in lobster pots in New England. I don't need much weight because  I will set them on a trotline with 20ft. snood lines so the floats won't get pulled under or around in the current. We use 2 big floats, one at each end then pull the boat along from pot to pot . We use 1,000 ft. #8 line with pots spaced from 25-50  ft. apart. I like that way better than individual floats on each pot. It's easier form to pull pots solo like that. I can check about 25 pots an hour without washing them.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »

Southern Wire (crab supply house) sells pre cut rebar that's already coated.  Same as on the wire. 

let the good times roll
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »

They don't sell pvc coated rebar up here. He said how could they be welded? I've used hundreds of bent but not welded re bar before on my pots and never had any problems. It would cost too much to have them shipped to Md. from La. I'll try the bricks with holes and see what happens. I made 25 with rebar then painted them. I don't want rusty rebar to deal with since I'm not painting my pots and painting the rebar is too time consuming . Since the anti fouling paint doesn't last all summer i'll just power wash them on the boat when needed . Adding zincs to pvc  coated pots is too time consuming making all the wire splices. I bought 10 to try  but I've now decided to go back to spot painting the bare, cut ends  with liquid electrical tape for the rest. It will be crabbing season soon.I'll find out what works best buy the end of the season . Can't wait.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home