February 25, 2018, 02:56:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best pix of 2017... so show us yours  (Read 1310 times)
Hatterasman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »

This has been my main trotlining boat since 1978 when I purchased it new at the old Sturgis Marine in Seaford, Delaware. It is a Lowe 1436 Lake Jon, and this photo was taken during the summer of 2017 after a thorough washdown from a crabbing trip that day.  While I have had to replace the transom wood once, it has been a good boat. I have owned larger center console fishing boats over the years that I have also used for trotlining, but this Lowe is still my favorite for several reasons. I can access crabbing spots that are inaccessible with larger boats. It is cheaper to operate. I can trotline all day using a miniscule amount of fuel. It is easy to trailer. But the main reason is because of the many memories of crabbing with my dad in this boat. My dad died at the age of 63 on June 3rd, 1992 after about a year long battle with congestive heart failure where he was in and out of the hospital every few months. Because of his illness, we had not been crabbing since the summer of 1991. My dad loved the outdoors. He loved fishing and boating, but the thing he enjoyed most in his life was trotlining crabs. I was sitting with him at home in his living room one day in late May of 1992 when he was recovering from an episode of congestive heart failure after being in the hospital for a few days, and he asked me when we were going trotlining again. I asked him if he really thought it was a good idea for him to be out in a boat in the hot sun for hours. Silence filled the room. I looked over at him, and there was a tear running down his cheek. I said, "dad, lets see how you are feeling when my next work break gets here." I was scheduled to be off work on Tuesday and Wednesday during the first week of June, so I told him that if he was feeling okay, we would go. On Tuesday June 2nd, we went trotlining in the Choptank River near Secretary, Maryland where we were able to get a bushel of nice fat Jimmies, then we loaded up and went back to his house and steamed them. We had a big family crab feast with corn-on-the-cob, etc. Dad seemed just fine. I returned home with my wife and kids and retired for the evening. Then came that phone call in the middle of the night that everyone dreads. We rushed to the hospital where the doctor told the family that he was "not going to make it this time". The last thing my dad said to me as I held him in that hospital bed was , "I love you son". He passed away in my arms. I am posting this picture in honor of my dad. I truly miss him.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »

Thanks for sharing this story.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »

Great story and I'm sure that last crabbing trip with you meant more then the world to him.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Hatterasman

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »

Great story and I'm sure that last crabbing trip with you meant more then the world to him.

Indeed, it did. Unfortunately, it took years before I stopped blaming myself for his death. It didn't help that immediately after my dad's funeral, the entire family was gathered at my aunt's house (my dad's sister) for the traditional after funeral wake (covered dish dinner, etc.) and everyone was whispering among themselves and saying that I had killed my dad by taking him out in the boat crabbing, and that I should have known better than to do "something so stupid". It really hurt. I turned the Jon boat upside down on the boat trailer and didn't touch it for 4 years. I don't know why, but I just woke up one day thinking about how upset my dad would be if he knew that I had not been crabbing since he died. While he indeed died too young, I know that he enjoyed the last day that he was alive. My advice to those who are fortunate enough to still have living parents, cherish the times that you are together because there will indeed come a time when all you have are memories.

Me and Dad, summer 1956.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »

Live each day like it's your last is my motto. Your advice is excellent. God always has a plan for us. Good chance you taking your dad crabbing was part of it. Second guessing about death is easy for some. You did what any great son would have done for his father.

Look in the mirror, most likely you will see him looking back at you.  I'll bet he's smiling, knowing he raised you well and always had been proud of.  Wish I had taken my dad crabbing or fishing before he died. Instead, he died in a hospital where he had been for a while.  But my love for the water and all it has came from my father. We had many trips together on the Patapsco River and it's tributaries. He was a great dad and showed me about fishing and crabbing.
 Again thanks for sharing, it brought back many good memories of my dad.

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »

By the time I bought my Grady my dad was unsteady on his feet and he never got on my boat. My great regret!

Retired in paradise!
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 01:29:37 PM »

By the time I bought my Grady my dad was unsteady on his feet and he never got on my boat. My great regret!
That's about where I am too Jim but I hope to be on the water this up coming season.
I only crabbed one time last year but we tore them up, two boats with two on each boat
crabbed two days and caught 7 bushels of hard crabs and we still did not limit out. My
BRIDE and I had a super - duper vacation with two of my son's and one grand son & his wife.
If I am still on the north side of the sod we will do it again this year, I fell last year after
I got out of my boat and hurt my right hip, something caught my foot and down I went.
Good luck to you this year Jim. 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

BGFISHHOOK1

P.S. That is a neat picture of you and your DAD & the story that went with it, your DAD wanted to be with you and that is the bottom line. don't blame yourself if anyone is to be blamed it is " THE GRIM REAPER HE COMES WITHOUT WARNING NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE DOING HE IS COMING!!

Get it on !
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »

I have a Grady as well. Spent a lot of years fishing and crabbing with my grandfather on this boat, until he passed away two years ago. Now my father has taken over as the second on board. I can't get him to go out in bay or ocean, he's a bit of a chicken, but at least I get him to go in the Wye for some crabbing. He never really wanted to try it, or was afraid to, I don't know. But after he finally did, he has non-stopped asked to go every time we head out. The third picture is my every day crabbing mate in the boat, and my dad along side..
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:20:32 PM by Wallco99 » Logged
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »

When ask by my son if I was afraid of roller coaster rides, I just replied that I chose not to do it, LOL. Great pics Wallco, I'm sure your a great son and were a great grandson. Memories can put a smile on your face any time.
Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 06:21:55 AM »

My babies and my mustache phase.

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »

Heading out pre-dawn in thick fog on 10/22.

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »

Hey Hatteras man.  I grew up in Secretary.  My Dad had a 33' workboat and I spent many an hour with him tonging oysters on the Choptank. He didn't crab much until after he retired.  He also spent a few hours at Mutt's beer joint.  The Era's are our cousins and after Mutt died my father would work there in the beer joint a few hours a day.  One day in January 1971, after working at Mutts all afternoon he went down to his  boat to "pump her out". He kept it tied to a stake in Cabin Creek.  One of his best friend's, cousin Tom Era noticed his skiff tied to the boat and didn't see him on the boat. Then he saw him face down in the water.  They didn't do an autopsy so we'll never know for sure if he had a heart attack and fell in the water or slipped fell and the ice cold water caused the heart attack.  Cousin Tom never got over finding him. 47 years ago and I still miss him. (But I never did miss pumping out that danged old workboat though!!)
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »

This has been my main trotlining boat since 1978 when I purchased it new at the old Sturgis Marine in Seaford, Delaware. It is a Lowe 1436 Lake Jon, and this photo was taken during the summer of 2017 after a thorough washdown from a crabbing trip that day.  While I have had to replace the transom wood once, it has been a good boat. I have owned larger center console fishing boats over the years that I have also used for trotlining, but this Lowe is still my favorite for several reasons. I can access crabbing spots that are inaccessible with larger boats. It is cheaper to operate. I can trotline all day using a miniscule amount of fuel. It is easy to trailer. But the main reason is because of the many memories of crabbing with my dad in this boat. My dad died at the age of 63 on June 3rd, 1992 after about a year long battle with congestive heart failure where he was in and out of the hospital every few months. Because of his illness, we had not been crabbing since the summer of 1991. My dad loved the outdoors. He loved fishing and boating, but the thing he enjoyed most in his life was trotlining crabs. I was sitting with him at home in his living room one day in late May of 1992 when he was recovering from an episode of congestive heart failure after being in the hospital for a few days, and he asked me when we were going trotlining again. I asked him if he really thought it was a good idea for him to be out in a boat in the hot sun for hours. Silence filled the room. I looked over at him, and there was a tear running down his cheek. I said, "dad, lets see how you are feeling when my next work break gets here." I was scheduled to be off work on Tuesday and Wednesday during the first week of June, so I told him that if he was feeling okay, we would go. On Tuesday June 2nd, we went trotlining in the Choptank River near Secretary, Maryland where we were able to get a bushel of nice fat Jimmies, then we loaded up and went back to his house and steamed them. We had a big family crab feast with corn-on-the-cob, etc. Dad seemed just fine. I returned home with my wife and kids and retired for the evening. Then came that phone call in the middle of the night that everyone dreads. We rushed to the hospital where the doctor told the family that he was "not going to make it this time". The last thing my dad said to me as I held him in that hospital bed was , "I love you son". He passed away in my arms. I am posting this picture in honor of my dad. I truly miss him.

Hey Hatteras man.  I'm betting your Dad would have totally agreed with you!   I grew up in Secretary.  My Dad had a 33' workboat and I spent many an hour with him tonging oysters on the Choptank. He didn't crab much until after he retired.  He also spent a few hours at Mutt's beer joint.  The Era's are our cousins and after Mutt died my father would work there in the beer joint (it's been gone for years now) a few hours a day.  One day in January 1971, after working at Mutts all afternoon he went down to his  boat to "pump her out". He kept it tied to a stake in Cabin Creek.  One of his best friend's, cousin Tom Era noticed his skiff tied to the boat and didn't see him on the boat. Then he saw him face down in the water.  They didn't do an autopsy so we'll never know for sure if he had a heart attack and fell in the water or slipped fell and the ice cold water caused the heart attack.  Cousin Tom never got over finding him. 47 years ago and I still miss him. (But I never did miss pumping out that danged old workboat though!!)
Hatterasman

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 12:58:34 AM »

Hey Hatteras man.  I'm betting your Dad would have totally agreed with you!   I grew up in Secretary.  My Dad had a 33' workboat and I spent many an hour with him tonging oysters on the Choptank. He didn't crab much until after he retired.  He also spent a few hours at Mutt's beer joint.  The Era's are our cousins and after Mutt died my father would work there in the beer joint (it's been gone for years now) a few hours a day.  One day in January 1971, after working at Mutts all afternoon he went down to his  boat to "pump her out". He kept it tied to a stake in Cabin Creek.  One of his best friend's, cousin Tom Era noticed his skiff tied to the boat and didn't see him on the boat. Then he saw him face down in the water.  They didn't do an autopsy so we'll never know for sure if he had a heart attack and fell in the water or slipped fell and the ice cold water caused the heart attack.  Cousin Tom never got over finding him. 47 years ago and I still miss him. (But I never did miss pumping out that danged old workboat though!!)

It was sad driving by the old Mutt's place in recent years and seeing it rotting away with the roof falling in. They finally bulldozed it into a big pile of rubble a year or so ago. I worked with Harvey Era and Kenny Hubbard at Dupont back when Dupont owned the Seaford nylon plant. If you are related to the Era family, I am sure you know both of those guys too. They are good 'ole boys. Anyway, sorry to hear that your dad died like that. I totally understand how you miss him. It never goes away. Thanks for your kind words.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »

O yea. I knew Harvey. Those guys all had nicknames. Harvey was "Set". He was Mutts brother. Lots of people never knew Mutts name was William. Their brother Pete's real name was George.  Another brother Phillip was Dilly. Joseph was Joebuck that was partners with Jack Colburns father at the Secretary fish house.  Tom was the only brother that used his real name.  You probably know Harvey's sons Honch and Swank. Swank crabs bout everyday and Honch is out there crabbin a good bit too.  Of course Kenny's grandfather was Mutt. Wow.  Thinking about those folks is some great memories.

Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »

From 1st weekend of Oct in 2016.   Did not get a good fall run in 2017.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »

O yea. I knew Harvey. Those guys all had nicknames. Harvey was "Set". He was Mutts brother. Lots of people never knew Mutts name was William. Their brother Pete's real name was George.  Another brother Phillip was Dilly. Joseph was Joebuck that was partners with Jack Colburns father at the Secretary fish house.  Tom was the only brother that used his real name.  You probably know Harvey's sons Honch and Swank. Swank crabs bout everyday and Honch is out there crabbin a good bit too.  Of course Kenny's grandfather was Mutt. Wow.  Thinking about those folks is some great memories.

So how many beers did it take to tile the walls in Mutts?  (As many as they had on hand)  Loved the cheeseburgers with enough fried onions to cover the plate, and they always had the best crab ball.  I do have their recipe.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »

Beautifl grand daughter born in Sept Cheesy
Hatterasman

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »

So how many beers did it take to tile the walls in Mutts?  (As many as they had on hand)  Loved the cheeseburgers with enough fried onions to cover the plate, and they always had the best crab ball.  I do have their recipe.

Back in the early '70's, Mutt's indeed had better crab balls than Suicide Bridge. It's a shame the family didn't keep it open. They could have added on and made the place bigger and could have given Suicide a run for their money. Just about everyone I know agrees that Mutt's had better crabs and crab balls. Anyway, are you doing any oystering?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home