June 17, 2018, 06:04:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rut 2017  (Read 2090 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »

D, your only chance will be the late rut which should be in the next 3 weeks or so as far as the 10 pt goes. Thats the only time those big boys get stupid and move in the day time once the guns go off, good luck.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »

D, your only chance will be the late rut which should be in the next 3 weeks or so as far as the 10 pt goes. Thats the only time those big boys get stupid and move in the day time once the guns go off, good luck.

he has been smart for many years and even thru the last rut this year.....

I just need him to slip up  Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Beachcomber

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »

try hunting during bad, blustery before a cold front. They get real nervous because of all the noise from limbs snapping and creaking and run around . I have  even seen bucks at noon in that kind of conditions. or you can try hunting when the moon is visible during the day.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

try hunting during bad, blustery before a cold front. They get real nervous because of all the noise from limbs snapping and creaking and run around . I have  even seen bucks at noon in that kind of conditions. or you can try hunting when the moon is visible during the day.

thanks

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
197crabber

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »

I shot this doe in tuckahoe state park (Dorchester) this fall. I made the call to track her in the morning after I didn't have good sign on my arrow. I found her early the next morning a hundred yards from where I shot her but the yotes beat me to her. I salvaged the back straps and shoulders but I was sick to my stomach for all the lost meat. It never passed my mind that coyotes could be a problem.
It was the first time I had hunted the area so I didn't have any clue to the coyote population. I probably will never let a deer go overnight again.

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »

I shot a doe saturday evening at 4pm. A fawn came in and started eating right away. There is a big tree to my left where a lot of deer come from. If they come from that direction they are only 15 yards from me and the bait before I see them. So I have really no time to react before they are right on top of me. I see more deer coming and I try to grab my bow. I slowly move but my bow is on my right side while the deer are to my left. I can't keep an eye on them and grab my bow at the same time. So I see one of the does looking at me and start to stomp and I am thinking they are all going to take off. I wait and slowly move my bow in front of me. The deer are on edge and the fawn takes off. The deer start moving to my left and I have an opening. I shoot at the biggest doe. She was also the first to cross in front of me. I think it's a good shot but when I got down an hour later it was hard to find blood and my arrow did not go all the way threw. I ended up tracking her for about 200 yards and thought I saw them walking way. So I decided to pull out. I also saw what seemed to be small pieces of corn in the blood. Not a good sign. I went back the next morning and found her about 80 yards past where I had stopped. I guess the deer I saw was not her. If I did not see them I might have found her that night. But it was not a good shot. It was back. I guess the deer took more steps then I had thought. Now would you have stopped the deer that was on alert or shot the deer while moving? The deer was just walking slowly and I only had Maybe 8 ft of clear shooting lane at 20 yards. The deer did face towards me so my chance for a good shot was small. I made a bad shot and it was a easy shot I should have made. But the short time I had to make a decision, draw back and set my sights was only a few seconds. The strange thing was it looked like a good shot but they way she took off must have made the shot look better then it was. When I found my deer the fox and raccoons got to the deer a little. Not to bad but some meat has to be cut out of the hind quarter.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:10:32 AM by indoe » Logged

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »

I finally got to go last weekend before the freeze and the past 4 days.  Killed a small spike (100#) on opening day (12-30).  That gave me all the meat I need for the year.  Now I'm hunting horns.  Friday morning I had another spike walk 30 yards in front of me and I let it walk.  Around noon I saw that same deer on another hunters bike.  Oh well I hope he needed the meat. 

It was very cold here too.  Several of the small lakes and ponds here froze over. Duck hunters couldn't find any water to hunt.   I had to break ice threw a couple of slews to get to my hunting area.  Temps were in the teens Tuesday-Friday mornings.  Now we are back in the 60's for high's.  Great fishing weather. laugh laugh

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home