October 15, 2018, 09:27:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gopro video captures Boat accident in Oregon  (Read 448 times)
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »

really disturbed to watch this video.  Reason #1001 to make sure I wear a PFD next time.

This Weldcraft fishing boat was badly damaged on Aug. 12, 2017, when a Bayliner Trophy boat sped into it near Tansy Point on the Columbia River (OREGON). (Clatsop County Sheriff's Office)

If those people didn't jump into the water, it's likely a fatality would have happened.  There are propeller marks on the back of that weldcraft!  crazy!!!
BirdsNestKing
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »

Thank god no one got killed. There was a similar accident in Great South Bay, NY by the Robert Moses Bridge a few years back over a July 4th holiday. Unfortunately that one didn’t end as well to put it mildly.

At the end of the day, it's not about how many fish or crabs you put in the cooler but about how many memories you put in your life and the lives of your "mates".
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »

Thanks for posting the video. A reminder to all of us to be vigilante while on the water. Anybody can own a boat now days without any common sense on how to operate it.   Glad those folks saw it coming, would have been fatal injuries if not.
 Never wish bad on anyone, but the operator of that boat that day should have the worst fine and sentence possible.
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »

The video is not there. Any ideas why I can't see it. Angry Angry Undecided
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »

Some follow up info on this boating disaster.

Fisherman who jumped into river to avoid oncoming motorboat sues helmsman

A fisherman who was caught on camera jumping ship into the Columbia River to avoid being struck by an oncoming motorboat is suing the other driver.  

A fisherman who was caught on camera jumping ship into the Columbia River to avoid being struck by an oncoming motorboat is suing the other driver.  (Angling Oregon)

It looked like a scene straight out of the classic comedy "Caddyshack," but this time the big boat speeding toward the smaller one was no laughing matter.

A fisherman who was caught on camera jumping from said smaller boat into the Columbia River to avoid being struck by an oncoming much bigger motorboat last summer has filed a lawsuit for $372,500 against the other driver, The Oregonian reports.

Bryan Maess filed the suit against Marlin Lee Larsen, accusing him of boating while distracted by his cell phone. But Larsen denies the allegations and told investigators he couldn’t see over the dash of his boat because he was sitting down. The 75-year-old uses a motorized scooter when he’s on land.

The video of the collision, captured by an onboard GoPro mounted to the dash of Maess’ 20-foot Weldcraft fishing boat, shows him and fellow passengers Christopher McMahon and Roni Durham frantically waving their arms and yelling as Larsen’s 31-foot Bayliner speeds toward them. The three then jump into the icy water moments before the boat comes crashing over the top of theirs.

According to a report by the local sheriff’s department, drugs and alcohol did not appear to be a factor, but Larsen was cited and released for “Reckless Operation, 3 counts of Recklessly Endangering and 3 counts of Assault in the 4th degree.”

Larsen told The Oregonian the accusation against him was “fake news.” He pleaded not guilty to the charges and said the lawsuit was unnecessary because no one was seriously hurt. His son-in-law, who was also on the boat at the time of the accident, told investigators he warned Larsen to pay attention and that he’d been using his cellphone off and on all morning.  

Sheriff’s investigators said that Maess and the others onboard would have likely been seriously injured or killed had they not jumped into the water, according to The Oregonian.

Maess claims he suffered from vision problems, headaches and injuries to his ankle, leg and arm from the crash. His attorney said he’s also dealing with psychological trauma and hasn’t been on a boat since the crash. McMahon and Durham also suffered injuries, including hypothermia and cuts, The Oregonian reports.

McMahon and Durham have yet to file lawsuits but have reportedly hired attorneys to do so

Mag
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »

I’m trying to plan a Dungeness crab trip in that area next fall. You can bet I’ll be watching all around me now while I’m out there.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »

I just saw this on You Tube this morning. How scary for those fisherman, but more scary that the other boat driver was not paying attention at all. Like what the heck.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »

Negligence on the operators part is what I think. He admits it in this sentence. It's an excuse, but a poor one. His age and physical ability  could have killed someone. Maybe it's time for him to not be an operator of a boat or car. The man has to know his limitations.

Bryan Maess filed the suit against Marlin Lee Larsen, accusing him of boating while distracted by his cell phone. But Larsen denies the allegations and told investigators he couldn’t see over the dash of his boat because he was sitting down. The 75-year-old uses a motorized scooter when he’s on land.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »

The video is not there. Any ideas why I can't see it. Angry Angry Undecided

reposted to youtube here:

Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »

laugh laugh laugh
I love how the guy is holding on to his fishing rod as he jumps off the boat!

One in the basket is better than two in the water!

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »

laugh laugh laugh
I love how the guy is holding on to his fishing rod as he jumps off the boat!

I saw that too, probably an expensive rod and reel, LOL. 
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:16 PM »

Ya I worry about that as well when on my kayak. It's yellow hoping people can see me easier but I sit so low. Be safe everyone. Dumb people out there.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home