May 24, 2018, 02:25:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skanky vs Fresh Bait?  (Read 1253 times)
attml

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »

I would like an opinion on bait?  I bought a 40LB bag of necks last fall that has been in the bag and box in my freezer unopened.  About 3 weeks ago I thawed in the fridge them to use but something came up and I didn't get to crab.  I forgot about them being in the fridge for a week or two and when I discovered they were still in the fridge they were smelling pretty ripe (stinky).  Being a cheapskate I put them back in the freezer. My question is what are your thoughts on skanky bait like that?  Is it the best, the worst or somewhere in between?  Use it and go crabbing are do my best to find new bait?  Thanks!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:58:21 AM »

I would like an opinion on bait?  I bought a 40LB bag of necks last fall that has been in the bag and box in my freezer unopened.  About 3 weeks ago I thawed in the fridge them to use but something came up and I didn't get to crab.  I forgot about them being in the fridge for a week or two and when I discovered they were still in the fridge they were smelling pretty ripe (stinky).  Being a cheapskate I put them back in the freezer. My question is what are your thoughts on skanky bait like that?  Is it the best, the worst or somewhere in between?  Use it and go crabbing are do my best to find new bait?  Thanks!

ditch them.  its not worth it between the smell, possible bacteria and crabs like fresh bait best.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »

Seen this post ?    "Six week old stinky blue fish"
 It's in the Hard Crab Know How  section.  The results were different from what many suggested. Get past the odor is the tough thing to do.  Some just won't have the stomach for it, LOL.   I'd pass on it , but good chance some wouldn't.

I was surprised at the results, but crabs eat dead things IMHO.  If you do use them, report back on the results. It may help others in your situation.

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »

Chicken?! not worth the health risk - good possibility of Salmonella poisoning.  Fresh bait is always the better, safer choice.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »

Chicken?! not worth the health risk - good possibility of Salmonella poisoning.  Fresh bait is always the better, safer choice.

Good point.  But He'll have to decide. Him refreezing them after thawing sounds like he might want to try.

Any handling of raw chicken poses a health risk though.  It's always advised to wash your hands and use bleach to clean up the prep station after handling raw poultry.

Raw chicken has the potential to spread food borne illnesses if it isnít properly handled. If youíre working with raw chicken, not only do you have to wash your hands, you have to thoroughly sanitize anything that chicken comes into contact with. Otherwise, youíll risk contaminating everything else in your kitchen.

Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »

Chicken?! not worth the health risk - good possibility of Salmonella poisoning.  Fresh bait is always the better, safer choice.
If you only knew what they ate! One time my dad saw rescue workers pulling a dead human body out of the water with crabs all over it. A little rotten chicken eaten by a crab is not going to harm you. You steam the crabs before you eat them.

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

If you only knew what they ate! One time my dad saw rescue workers pulling a dead human body out of the water with crabs all over it. A little rotten chicken eaten by a crab is not going to harm you. You steam the crabs before you eat them.

You had to go there. I was thinking it, but couldn't post it.  Getting pass the smell and you got it licked, LOL.
kp1219

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »

Crabs first sense food is smell. Always set your nets or trap down stream of a current and pick them up going against the current. Smelly bait is a better and quicker start then some thing frozen. Just my opinion.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »

Crabs first sense food is smell. Always set your nets or trap down stream of a current and pick them up going against the current. Smelly bait is a better and quicker start then some thing frozen. Just my opinion.

A whole different subject, but  Picking up against current means loose lines.  I've always had more luck pulling tight lines,just saying.   Not saying you won't catch crabs pulling loose lines cuz you will. I guess a lot depends on how hungry the crabs are.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »

A whole different subject, but  Picking up against current means loose lines.  I've always had more luck pulling tight lines,just saying.   Not saying you won't catch crabs pulling loose lines cuz you will. I guess a lot depends on how hungry the crabs are.

I think I agree with you. Tight lines are better lines, especially with ring traps.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home