November 15, 2018, 09:52:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last hunt for 2017/2018  (Read 669 times)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »

I got off early yesterday and wanted to hunt one more time. I have been going threw deer meat like crazy this year with all the jerky I have been making. So I get to the stand around 2:30pm. I was confident I would see something but was hoping to see one early so I could possible shoot 2. Right around 4pm a deer shows up. It's coming my way but go strait for the bag of corn I hid by a tree.  Huh It starts kicking the bag and eating out of it.  laugh I could not believe my eyes. Then 3 min later another deer shows up and starts walking towards me. I have my bow in my hand but it is facing right towards me for like 10 mins feeding. But finally is turns to the side like it's about to leave. I draw back and fire an arrow. Looks to be a little back but it was turning away so I think it was a good shot. I can see blood coming from the entrance wound. I wait to see if anything else is coming. Around 5:15 just when I was planning on getting down I see a deer. It stays behind a tree for like 5 min before moving. Then another deer comes from the other way and comes to the corn. It's a spike. The other deer starts coming in and it's a small buck as well. I see more deer behind it and wait. The last deer to come in was another doe. I had 5 deer in front of me and it was starting to get dark. The bucks chased the doe right below me and I shot it about 10 yards from my stand. She drop about 30 yards behind me. No tracking needed for this one. Went to my truck and grabbed my knife and deer cart. Field dress the one close to me and dragged it to the truck. Then looked for the other one. Thought it would be an easy track but it was hard finding blood. I lost blood for a little bit and just walked in the direction I thought it went. Found a bed and where it had kicked around. I knew it would not be that much further. 2 feet away found blood on a tree. Then another 5ft was my deer. It only went around 120 yards. From the time I shot her and tracked her down was only maybe 3 hours, but in that time the fox had already started eating her stomach. Shot was a little far back but hit her front shoulder. I have a hill that I have to drag the deer up and I was dead tired after dragging both them out. But my freezer is full again. Now I just need to get me some fish and crabs! I had a good season this year. Hope my crabbing and fishing season is good as well.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »

Looks like there's three deer there. Where did the other one come from? Heart attack?
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »

Lol. Only 2 deer.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »

Great way to end your season Indoe, congrats.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »

Nice.  Great way to end your season.

I was out last Saturday and the neighbor next to the property I was hunting decided to re-live WW2.  He shot from 1:30 when I got in the stand until 5:45 non-stop.  Sounded like 22's to cannons.  Sad  Not a thing showed up until 6:30pm after I left.

I will be back out Fri and Sat hoping for at least one more for the year.  If not, it wasn't meant to be but it still was a good year.  My wife got her first nice buck and I got a nice one.  Now to pay the Taxidermist. 

Big Antlers=$$$$$'s  Smiley

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »

I will be back out Fri and Sat hoping for at least one more for the year.  If not, it wasn't meant to be but it still was a good year.  My wife got her first nice buck and I got a nice one.  Now to pay the Taxidermist. 

Is the deer season still open this coming Fri. and Sat. ?
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 01:29:54 PM »

Today is that day of the season unless you have crop damage permits.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »

I am on a DMP or Crop damage permit.  365 days a yr or 30 does/yr for this DMP.  We hunt until the end of Feb and start back up mid to late August 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »

D, can you hunt CDP's during the regular season like firearms bow ect?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »

D, can you hunt CDP's during the regular season like firearms bow ect?

During the regular season you have to follow the season rules but before or after, you have your choice of weapon and you are allowed to hunt Sundays

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »

Made my last trip this past week.  Let a doe yearling and a 3 point walk.  20 yd. shot.  Big buck busted me before I could pull the trigger.  Season closed today so I know he'll be there next year.

BTW good going In.

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »

During the regular season you have to follow the season rules but before or after, you have your choice of weapon and you are allowed to hunt Sundays

Your an agent?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »

Your an agent?

Correct Chris, the wife and I are agents

135 acre vineyard with 30 acres of grapes and 100+ acres of woods.  DMP is for 30 does a year.  Tons of them plus lots of nice and upcoming bucks.  Best of all, it's a free lease and we usually get a couple bottles of wine each year.   Smiley

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »

wow D a vinyard do the deer taste like grapes. I know those deer can do some damage, i bet they tear the grapes up.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:13 AM »

wow D a vinyard do the deer taste like grapes. I know those deer can do some damage, i bet they tear the grapes up.

That has always been the joke.......pre-marinated.

They do a lot of damage, the last 2 years, harvest has been down 65%.  It was even worse before we started hunting there.  Between the damage to the vines, canopy, and the fruit.  He has even gone as far as to put up an 8' fence at the wood line and you still see them and plenty of signs in the vineyard area.  I keep telling him that fence does very little to stop them. 

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 03:54:01 AM »

Correct Chris, the wife and I are agents

135 acre vineyard with 30 acres of grapes and 100+ acres of woods.  DMP is for 30 does a year.  Tons of them plus lots of nice and upcoming bucks.  Best of all, it's a free lease and we usually get a couple bottles of wine each year.   Smiley

Ive never understood, the weapon in season rule.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 07:58:21 AM »

Ive never understood, the weapon in season rule.

We don't have an issue with it. We actually use bow all year long.  Keeps the woods quiet for the most part and makes you make good shots

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »

Just be careful D if you want to keep that free lease. A friend and i leased hunting rights on a small farm in worcester county years ago and the farmer said the deer were taking a toll so he want us to kill. We killed a few the first year but not enough to make him happy so he put us off after the first year.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »

Just be careful D if you want to keep that free lease. A friend and i leased hunting rights on a small farm in worcester county years ago and the farmer said the deer were taking a toll so he want us to kill. We killed a few the first year but not enough to make him happy so he put us off after the first year.

Thanks Rdbeard.

Hopefully we wont have to face that issue.  We make sure we let him know everything we kill so he sees we are doing something.  We also help out around the property so its not just hunting.  We help in the spring with getting the vines ready and in the fall with picking.  It saves him labor costs so he gets the benefits several ways and when I say we, I have the entire family out helping.  It saves him a ton of money in labor so benefits several ways.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »

Sounds like a good relasionship D.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home