June 17, 2018, 06:07:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing New Smyrna Florida 2-1-2018  (Read 700 times)
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »

I have buddy from CT visiting the area and yesterday we went out crabbing south of the Mosquito Lagoon and got into the north Indian River complex. I have never crabbed there before. I can only get small crabs from the Mosquito Lagoon. Several years ago I caught 120 crabs for the year and only two were over 6 inches.  Yesterday I got 20 crabs using ring traps baited with chicken necks. The crabs ranged between 7.75 and 6.5 inches! Quite the difference and so glad to catch crabs down  here that rival the crabs i used to catch from CT and MD! My buddy got 23  crabs but he was using a fishing rod with Mullet 1/2 on it and then used a net when he drew them in. He was outcatching me for a while but then the ring traps started to really produce.
We spent about two hours crabbing and things started to slow down about 3 pm. I don't know what the tide was.
Air temp was about 72F barometer was 30.21 water temp was about 67 with light winds from the east about ten mph. Just enough to keep the skeeters off. All in all a great day!

Retired in paradise!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »

Nice going, have to laugh about your buddy's technique.  To catch a little over  3 1/2 is sweet. Enjoy them crabs in February, folks up north  have to wait till our season starts. 
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »

[dang] Jim, you know how to hurt a guy.  Sad  In the 30's right now and expecting the teens tonight.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »

WTG, nice job , enjoy em

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »

One thing that was interesting about this adventure. The majority of crabs I caught were right near the shore line and at the edge where the emergent vegetation ends when the water gets too deep for them It appears the crabs were swimming along this edge searching for food or mates? My traps didn't produce near as much in the deeper water. When I moved them in and close to the edge line is when they really started to produce! Just a heads up to try the same.

Retired in paradise!

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »

One thing that was interesting about this adventure. The majority of crabs I caught were right near the shore line and at the edge where the emergent vegetation ends when the water gets too deep for them It appears the crabs were swimming along this edge searching for food or mates? My traps didn't produce near as much in the deeper water. When I moved them in and close to the edge line is when they really started to produce! Just a heads up to try the same.

Normally, most crabs I catch in the shallows next to grass are light. I do catch doublers some times. Where the crabs you caught good eating crabs?
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

That's interesting too! Of the ten crabs I've eaten two were light. I think that is it and the rest are OK.

Retired in paradise!
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   Best news I have heard in the crab world in months Shocked Shocked    Glad you hit them hard, Big uns too thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup sunny Tell your buddy from CT that i'll bewaitin for him on the border rockstar rockstar stop  Hand over the crabs and nobody will get hurt rifle yes yes laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »

It was a great day for me!  Grin I was  really beginning to think there were few good crabs down here! bigcry
Now to see how long it lasts! smash 2thumbsup

Retired in paradise!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »

Waiting for your next report, hope it is as good as this one.

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »

I am going for clams and Oysters next. Maybe another crab report around the 15th.
Too much to do and not enough time even being retired! beam

Retired in paradise!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »

Well that sucks, but I am envious. Do what you can, there's always another time.
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »

PRIORITYS   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked     Come on now , yer retrired Roll Eyes Undecided laugh laugh laugh laugh  Remember these CT  beauties, Groton, last Thursday
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »

Those are some beauties! there are none down here unless you buy the. I looked and they were $4.49 a pound last time I looked! My father liked them too and when he retired down here that is what he missed the most! Thanks for the picture!

Retired in paradise!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »

The picture above is on a small no name island near  Bettes Island off Norwalk CT where I used to dig steamers or "pissers" as we called them.
This picture is of my clam tongs I built for getting hard clams off Bettes Island.
I miss the clamming up north but I really miss the Lobstering I did there! It was cheaper to buy Lobster but I really enjoyed doing that the most!

Retired in paradise!

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »

Here I am throwing the buoy back overboard after servicing the trap.

Retired in paradise!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »

Here are a couple pictures of an average day of clamming in CT. Hard clams, soft clams Oyster, Lobster and mussels.
All good stuff and I miss it! It's not too bad here though!

Retired in paradise!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 12:11:20 PM »

Down here we have shrimp that run in the Lagoon prettymuch year round but the two main runs are the Brown Shrmp in the fall or early spring until May or thereabouts. They are the best tasting and you just use a dip net and scoop them up as they swim by at night. They use the estuary as a nursery and when they get big enough to breed they  ride the tide out to the ocean. By me this outlet is called Ponce outlet and this is where the sharks wait for fish to swim by. This is where the surfers congregate and is the reason New Smyrna is also known as the  "Shark Bite Capital of the World". We also have summer White Shrimp but these use a different technique to get to the ocean. They swim along en masse along the bottom with the current. You can see balls fo these shrimp with your fishfinder and once a ball is spotted you throw a cast net for them. You are allowed a five gallon bucket of whole shrimp a day. The bucket of whole shrimp weighs about 35 pounds! It's a lot of work to get a "full pull" of shrimp a day and they have to be running in earnest to get that many. The best I have done is about 3 gallons buteven that is a lot of shrimp to de-head and shell! the size varies too and can be anywhere from 3 inch to 8 inches!

Retired in paradise!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 12:18:08 PM »

I am going for clams and Oysters next. Maybe another crab report around the 15th.
Too much to do and not enough time even being retired! beam
Good thing every day is Saturday. Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »

Life is good! thumbsup
We also get Stone Crabs down here. I prefer Blue Crabs!

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home