November 14, 2018, 02:59:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to make a living crabbing in Charleston, SC?  (Read 7517 times)
Yeto

« on: June 02, 2006, 05:35:47 AM »

Is it possible to make a living fishing for crab in Charleston, SC? To be more specific, #1 males go for $35 - $50 a bushell here. Is it reasonable to think that I could catch three bushell of crab per day five days a week?

Thanks,
Yeto
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:24 AM »

Yes it is entirely possible. I did it for 3 years there and 3 bushel was a horrible day. I had actually lived in Mt Pleasant ran out of Shem Creek and sold to Harold of Dautsun seafood(this was 10 years ago) there was not many crabbers in SC then I was #98 I know it has grown since then but I know in the harbor and we used to catch close to 30+ bushel of females a day and in the back creeks used to catch on ave 6-10 bus males. I sold everything to move here. Yup you can make a living at it.

I now have a list.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:54:40 AM »

It depends on your operation but it takes me 3 bushel a day at 60 to cover expences and wear and tear and thats without a mate. If you have not done it before there is a lot more to it than the calculater shows, but it is still possable to make a living doing it,after 4 of july weekend markets will be slim and price will go down, this winter you will be catching females, and the SC and GA guys were putting them on the truck for under 20 a bushel last yr. Just a few things to think about

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:11:25 AM »

RD I worked alone there and ran an old 90 (not as old as the pos I have now but older 3cyl) I didnt burn much fuel and bait was cheap enough. I knew a bunch of the shimpers down there and they would save me a bunch of [curd] daily but with the newer 4 strokes I cant imagine, even with wear and tear $30-40 in expense daily.

I now have a list.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 06:21:36 AM »

i'm burning 16 to 20 gals a day  with my Honda 130 and 200 to 250 lbs of bunkers, we pay anywhere from 28 to 35 cents a lb for the bunkers

- John Wayne

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 06:32:55 AM »

thats why it depends on you operation, we have a man here who crabs the river in a small boat with a 50 4 stroke gets his bait free and has15 a week in expences,catches 4 or 5 bushels a day,but a lot of trash that i can't sell

- John Wayne
got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:48:33 PM »

[Sam Hill] no this is the worst job in the world if you want to go bankrupt try crabbing if you survive the blown engines the stolen pots and hoping to get $10 a bushel if someone will take them then you can make a living. also working your [arse] like a dog. 
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 07:19:18 PM »

I dont know about blown engines mine are all well maintained. I worked there for a few years and had no problem what so ever. Except when the boat sank but I always unhook the battery from the motor at the dock so I hosed it off sprayed it out then air to it and vrooommmm fired right up. It all depends on your expenses there are enough buyers around to sell to and there is almost always market because of all the crab houses in maryland. The thing I find funny is most maryland crabs are shipped and most sold in md are not md. I do not care what the sign says. LOCAL MY [arse].

I now have a list.
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »

I dont know about blown engines mine are all well maintained. I worked there for a few years and had no problem what so ever. Except when the boat sank but I always unhook the battery from the motor at the dock so I hosed it off sprayed it out then air to it and vrooommmm fired right up. It all depends on your expenses there are enough buyers around to sell to and there is almost always market because of all the crab houses in maryland. The thing I find funny is most maryland crabs are shipped and most sold in md are not md. I do not care what the sign says. LOCAL MY [arse].
Geckert, my maintenance is coming in last week with the bearings whining in the gearcase and finding out that it was full of water, paid the price today. now they are chattering and i had to order a new one overnight Sat. delivery, ouch, last 2 day on 3 cilinders, finaly found a injector stopped up yesterday, new 1 $150 But I did send up some fresh MD #1s  Grin

- John Wayne
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »

Love it. Yeah I know that they go down every now and again but they generally only totally blow if you dont do anything.  Like now I still run a 82 merc 90 it rebuild it 2x in 10 years and that was by choice about 4-5 years before rebuild new water pump yearly and just compression test every few months check lower unit for water every week or 2 I just use a suction tube in the fill its easy to see. Yes things do go wrong but they dont blow all the way up unless.........keep sending them MD #1's up

I now have a list.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:47:05 PM »

I usualy get about 2 yrs out of a power head, gearcases are 2 or 3 a yr somtimes, lot of flint rock here and thats what happened this time, bent the prop shaft just a little but it got the seals out of round and let the lube out over the last month since i changed it  Cry

- John Wayne
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:11:08 PM »

Not much rock here but in charleston to get to the jimmies your doing a lot of running up the little gutters and setting a pot on the deep bends. So your running into a lot of oyster rock an aluminum prop is a must no stainless or your going to be rebuilding alot.

I now have a list.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home