September 25, 2018, 03:49:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MSSA  (Read 378 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:25:40 PM »

Does anyone know why the future of the MSSA may be in jeporday?
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »

Does anyone know why the future of the MSSA may be in jeporday?

Haven't paid their tournament winners from last fall.
Executive director has been fired or resigned depending who you believe.
One of the board had to pay the rent on their office, out of his pocket. No money in account.
A couple of chapters have dis-associated themselves from the main MSSA.

Fat lady has been singing her head off.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:05:08 PM »

Yea looks like somebody or a group may be as corrupt as our politicians when it comes to money.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »

Check out the Lisa Gowe story for the Dorchester Waterman's organization. It happens more then many think it does, LOL.   Over $100.000.00 gone.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »

Check out the Lisa Gowe story for the Dorchester Talbot County Waterman's organization. It happens more then many think it does, LOL.   Over $100.000.00 gone.

I fixed it for you.

Did they fail to pay people money from tournaments? Don't think so.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »

Stealing is what Smith did, same as Gowe. Everyone suffers when it happens. These 2 cases have similarities. Mostly one person had too much power with the handling of the  money. It was a learning lesson for both organizations. At least Gowe was caught and pleaded guilty , Smith is nowhere to be found.  But he will be caught eventually.

The organization began to suspect Gowe was using watermen’s association funds for her personal use, and in January 2015, the organization requested the Maryland State Police investigate discrepancies between information Gowe provided and information provided by PNC Bank.

"During the hearing, Dove presented evidence found during the investigation, including 27 checks written by Gowe, using watermen’s association funds, totaling $40,277.43; and 250 cash and bank card withdrawals that were not of benefit to the organization, totaling $80,979.66."

"Additionally, Dove said Gowe was responsible for organizing events and fundraisers to benefit the watermen’s association, including Watermen’s Appreciation Day, which is held annually at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.

Dove said cash obtained from those fundraising events was supposed to be deposited into the organization’s bank account. However, he said the organization has no way of knowing how much cash was generated by the events and how much actually was deposited."

"Chance said the watermen’s association community still feels the betrayal, though it is moving forward.

“I’m not happy with any of this. This is just such an unfortunate incident for our entire community and our organization,” Chance said. “Nothing has changed as far as our goals — the challenges we face both economically and environmentally — so let’s move forward.”

This is the main thing, to continue on. Lot of folks who believe in their organization.
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »

They failed to pay the winners of a couple of their tournaments.

Then lies were told by board members to try and cover up the problems.

Where is the unpaid tournament money and attempted cover up by board members in
Talbot County Watermen's problem?
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »

Just like MSSA, the Talbot president and others were  unaware and evidently Gowe had no one checking on her doings. 

Dove said Talbot County Watermen’s Association President Bunky Chance was not aware of the existence of a bank card having been issued in the organization’s name.

Gowe also set up a PayPal account in the watermen’s association’s name, in which funds totaling $2,600 were directed into Gowe’s personal bank account, Dove said.

In a Jan. 15 phone conversation, Dove said Gowe used watermen’s association funds to pay veterinary bills related to horses she owned, as well as other bills related to those horses; bought a truck, as well as a horse trailer; paid bills related to a car loan; paid bills related to Internet use; and used watermen’s association funds for groceries at Walmart and purchases at Target.

Seems the President and others had no clue about the amount of monies involved, and had to settle for a compromise.  No oversight like the MSSA group. I'll bet there's oversight and transparency now.  So no one else was involved? Maybe, but organizations that don't check on the bank account every month is just asking for problems.  Lessons are always learned after the fact. 

The watermen’s association suspects Gowe of embezzling more than $122,000, Dove said.

Gowe’s attorney, Rue Stewart of the Stewart Law Office in Towson, contested that amount, and said he and his client believe the amount to be under $100,000.

The judge said there was substantial evidence to render a guilty verdict on the charge of theft scheme $10,000 to under $100,000 and accepted Gowe’s plea.

During a short recess, Dove and Gowe’s attorney discussed about 100 items the defense still was contesting as not being funds secured by the watermen’s association. The two parties eventually reached a compromise on the amount, Dove said.

“We have come to a compromise that no one is really happy with,” Dove said.

Gowe will be responsible for making restitution payments to the watermen’s association for $100,000, the terms of which will be decided by her parole and probation officer, Dove said.

Like the Talbot organization, good chance the MSSA will overcome this fiasco and move on. One bad apple doesn't make the whole organization bad.  Lot of good folks involved in both organizations. Organizations that have purpose and give back to the community.  Just have to live and learn, a process many go thru.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:39:53 AM by evinrude 130 » Logged
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »

Member of the board of MSSA lied about winnings payout.

I don't remember how much they owe, but it is substantial.

Maryland Saltwater Sportfishing Inc. is done. Hope the tines are dull. They will hurt more.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »

On another forum, many are pleased about the problem MSSA is facing.  Something about "Karma".  Can't think that anyone stealing from a organization is funny or karma.
 Funny how that works when it's someone else's organization.   I'll wait for the hearing with Smith available.
 The MSSA chapters are still around from what I hear.  But you already want them shut down, you must not be a member or harbor ill feelings toward MSSA.  A group of folks who support many events with fishing. Now I don't agree with the Spring Trophy season, but the state of MD controls that. Buy a license, you get to fish within the rules set up.

I hope the MSSA gets over this speed bump and carries on. Other organizations have, like the Talbot waterman's.

Mission

The mission of MSSA is to provide a unified voice to preserve and protect the fisheries resources, the rights of recreational fishermen, and the opportunity to support activities that enhance the marine environment.

Membership: Who Are We?

Membership is open to anyone interested in supporting the mission of MSSA and participating in its programs. It boasts several thousand active members, mostly from Maryland but also from neighbors in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Delaware, and the District of Columbia. Members are from every walk of life, including men and women, blue-collar and white-collar, young and old, natives and newcomers—all united by their love of fishing and their desire to preserve the fisheries and environment for generations to come.

Organization: Chapters and Central Operations

Members are involved largely through 14 Chapters around the region. Each Chapter holds monthly meetings where membership charter boat captains and guides talk about what fish are available and how to catch them; scientists discuss the results of studies on the fisheries and the environment; members share information among themselves about fishing successes; and individuals enjoy each other’s camaraderie. Chapters hold their own fishing contests, charter trips to local and out-of-state hotspots, hold social events such as crab feasts, and generally develop a sense of community. All Chapters sponsor fishing events for children to teach them the joys of fishing and the need to be good conservationists.

MSSA is governed by an elected President and other officers as well as a Board of Directors, composed of presidents of all Chapters and four at-large members. A small central staff, an Executive Director and an assistant, coordinate the work of individual Chapters, give a collective voice to their concerns, and represents their interests to policy-makers at every level of government. All the work of MSSA is provided by volunteers, with the exception of the two paid staff members.

Dave Smith will be caught and have his day in court, just like Gowe.

Here's a post from that forum, a poster who found out more about the MSSA. Always came across as feet on the ground poster

Unread 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM     #7
buckshotgumbo
Admirals Club

Trader Rating: 0
After doing some homework on this, my understanding is that no money raised by the local chapters goes to that "main office", which was my concern.

Now that I know that, I don't mind supporting the local chapters because a) they do good things in our community and b) if the mssa ends up in the chitter, I think the need for a MD based recreational organization remains, and it stands to reason that the bulk of it's initial membership will come from displaced mssa members. So if I can help support my local fishing club (which is how I'm looking at it), I feel like I need to do that.

Just how I'm looking at it.

reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »

Same Guy 19 days later.

For those that aren't aware, the Dorchester County Chapter of the MSSA seceded from the organization and has formed a new group; the Mid-Shore Fishing Club.
The mission statement will be largely based on the sentiment that started the MSSA, and the Club will continue operations based on how they conducted themselves under the mssa moniker.
Typical events and benefits that we can expect to continue will be things like local fishing tournaments, student scholarships, and a member favorite has been the kids fishing derby's.
Meetings will be held on the 3rd thursday of each month at 7pm, and the location is the Cambridge Elks Club.

Individual memberships are $15, family $20

I hold no official position in the Club, but since I'm an active forum user I offered to help put the word out

Same guy later. Asked why the secession?

My opinion is that the fiasco the mssa is currently involved in will prove problematic for an extended period of time, and the feeling was that they could do better things for the community and the Bay, as well as enjoy their membership more, if they didn't have all the encumbrances associated with being a part of the mssa.

As for me, my opinion also is, let those that made the bed lay in it.

Still can't find where the Talbot County Watermen Association failed to pay up on any tournaments, unlike MSSA. Maybe NRP records can help.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »

Have to think the MSSA will eventually pay the winners, but due to the circumstances, it will take time. Glad they finally found out about Smith. The MSSA will have to just deal with whatever happens, just like the Talbot watermans organization did. I'm sure it was problematic for all the waterman in Talbot.   Not a good look for either group when the stealing was discovered. But I'm sure both groups learned a lesson about oversight and transparency with money.
 But it's not the end of either group as far as I can see. Those that stay or those that leave, it's their choice to do so. Most people always support the group they belong to, because they believe in that organization. Nothing wrong with starting another club. That's what the poster(Buckshot) said that I posted about.   

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 04:53:57 PM »

This is the LONGEST thread I have ever seen with such few amount of posts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home