June 23, 2018, 02:13:24 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clam bag mesh and color  (Read 445 times)
Jim Bright

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »

Do you guys prefer the fine mesh bags or the bigger mesh? Black or orange mesh? Prefer 7, 8, or 10 inch bags? Might switch it up this year so any opinions are appreciated.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:59:55 AM »

Jim,i went through the same though process a couple of weeks ago. I run clams all season and the bags can take a beating espcially runnin a dipper. i was going to use the fine mesh bags but didnot buy them due to reviews from some other comm. crabbers i know. The fine mesh don't catch as well from what i have heard so i will stay with the toughest material i can find in standard mesh and i like orange because it helps me see the bait coming though thats not important now because of the dipper, some say the black catches better. i run 8 in. bags, I bought 500 bags at the pasadena fishing show for 100.00 and i checked all the vendors there and what i bought was the toughest or hardest i could find there.
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »

Thanks. That heavier mesh is easier to bait compared to the fine. Good point about seeing the bag, I don't use a dipper anymore so I may need to stick with orange. $100 for 500 is a good price. Remember the vendor? We're they hog ringed or zip tied?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »

Jim PM sent, check your mail.
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »

Got the pm thanks. Anyone have thoughts on bag length? I've noticed some guys running 10" bags, some 7" but I've only used 8". Any opinions on the zip-tied bags? I've always used galvanize or stainless hog ring buy like most of you know the bag tears before the ring breaks.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »

Jim when I make my own clam bags I use zip ties and they work fine, out of 3 to 400 bags I've made in the past only 2 bags ever failed due to the zip tie.
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:39 PM »

Im with rdbeard on the zip ties they seem to work just fine. On the length i bought a lot of 400 last year that varied in length from 7" - 8" and no problems at all turned inside out with 4-5 clams per bag. I have some others made from a more red colored mesh that i haven't tried yet. Its a little finer as far as the holes but might not be as tough as the orange.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home