June 18, 2018, 02:54:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half trap with baffle  (Read 339 times)
boeingjet380

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »

Hi all! I was given two shallow water pots, which are kind of strange to me. They have a full-size pot baffle, and I was curious if this is decent? It seems a bit cramped inside and a bit difficult for the crab to get into the top section. The pot is 24"-24"-14". The funnel is quite close to the funnel going into the baffle, which is what concerned me.

Do you guys think this could work? I'm fairly interested to see how well these will catch.
Mag
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »

For free Iíd try them. I use to set a couple of commercial pots while I ran my topless traps. Never did more than a few keepers in each so I quit taking them out. I donít like leaving them out overnight because no matter how far out of the way you go to hide them it seems like someone else will find them. If your lucky they will just take the crabs and leave the pot.
boeingjet380

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »

I plan to put traps out  while i'm out fishing. Put em in in the morning, take em out when we pull in for the day. Usually get a dozen or so with the few topless traps I have now during the day running them
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:34:34 AM by boeingjet380 » Logged
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »

That's how all the traps we used when I was growing up were built.  We caught a lot more crabs back then than we do today.  Of course, the population of the area has grown from just over a million when we moved to the area to over 6.5 million today.  I lot more people to harvest the crabs than there were back then. 

The shallow water traps that I had were only 12" tall and only had one chamber.  They worked, but you had to run them more often. It was easier for the crabs to get out, but I still caught a few in the salt ponds around here.

If they are legal where you are at, give them a try.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
boeingjet380

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 12:33:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply Craig! I'm still fairly new with crabbing. Been running topless traps and rings, and this is my first time with pots. I know a few backwater grass flats where I live in SW Florida, so I plan to put them in when we go out in the morning, and take them out on the way back. Just a bit paranoid of my traps getting robbed.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home