October 23, 2019, 02:01:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miles & Wye River Real Estate  (Read 1990 times)
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »

To My Eastern Shore Md Friends, if you were looking to buy waterfront real estate or homes in a private community with access to a boat ramp. What is the first town or community that comes to mind around those rivers?  Not interested in condos or townhouse just Single Family Homes but nothing above 300K. It's a summer retreat for the family and a spot for the old man to get away from the real world to go crabbing and fishing.  

LewCrab
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:43:45 PM by LewCrab » Logged

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »

I found the perfect house on the Qeenstown side of the wye.  Only three blocks away from the community dock.  Before I could put in an offer on it, my mother had a seizure and was put on hospice.  By the time I  could put in offer, it was sold to a couple from NY.  Though I tried diligently to find a similar property, none was found.  Since then, I developed brain atrophy and moved to Florida. Good luck in your venture.  Affordable property on or having access to the wye is very hard or impossible to find.  Besides being very expensive, the property is often handed down to family members. For now, unless you know somebody who already lives on the wye, you'll have to put up with the line at wye landing next to Schnaitman's.           

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »

If you were looking to buy waterfront real estate or homes in a private community with access to a boat ramp. What is the first town or community that comes to mind around those rivers?

For $300,000, my first thought was Fantasy Land.  My second thought was Never-Never Land.  I think you're already "away from the real world" with that wish list.   Embarassed

If you find it, let me know.  I've done a little research over the last few years and the math is simple:

Waterfront + Private Community + Boat Ramp + Single Family Home = Seven Figures.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »

I found the perfect house on the Qeenstown side of the wye.  Only three blocks away from the community dock.  Before I could put in an offer on it, my mother had a seizure and was put on hospice.  By the time I  could put in offer, it was sold to a couple from NY.  Though I tried diligently to find a similar property, none was found.  Since then, I developed brain atrophy and moved to Florida. Good luck in your venture.  Affordable property on or having access to the wye is very hard or impossible to find.  Besides being very expensive, the property is often handed down to family members. For now, unless you know somebody who already lives on the wye, you'll have to put up with the line at wye landing next to Schnaitman's.           

Appreciate the story and thanks for sharing.  Makes sense families would pass it on down.  Been searching online for the fun of it just to see whats out there and it's all way out of range for move in ready.  Guess I'll have to wait to hit the Mega Millions. 

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »

For $300,000, my first thought was Fantasy Land.  My second thought was Never-Never Land.  I think you're already "away from the real world" with that wish list.   Embarassed

If you find it, let me know.  I've done a little research over the last few years and the math is simple:

Waterfront + Private Community + Boat Ramp + Single Family Home = Seven Figures.

Hahaha, I hear you man.  This is all in case I hit the lottery.

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »

Hahaha, I hear you man.  This is all in case I hit the lottery.

Same here, Lew.  If I dump my 401(k), sell the house and all my personal belongings, I might be able to rent a shed on somebody's property for a few years.  A man can dream, though.   Grin

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »

Same here, Lew.  If I dump my 401(k), sell the house and all my personal belongings, I might be able to rent a shed on somebody's property for a few years.  A man can dream, though.   Grin

laugh laugh  I think you might be onto something with the shed idea.

Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »

I've got 1.5 acres on Hurst Creek just upriver from Cambridge I might consider letting go for $300k.    Not on the Wye but I'm sure you can find plenty of houses well within your range if your willing to drive an extra 30 minutes each weekend.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »

WYE River
That sounds like a nice fancy Brick outhouse. laugh laugh
With a MOTHER N LAW  suite. laugh laugh

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:26 AM »

WYE River
That sounds like a nice fancy Brick outhouse. laugh laugh
With a MOTHER N LAW  suite. laugh laugh

I would venture to say for $300k that is just raw land.  Your MIL would have to sleep under the stars.   Grin Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »

Shooooot.  The going rate for raw land on the water on the Wye or Miles river starts at 800K.  C'mon Lottery!!!

Like I said this was all a pipe dream and something fun for me to dream about or if by chance find a needle in a haystack.   

Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »

Like I said, you just have to be willing to drive a little further.  Check Talbot county and you can still have access to the same rivers.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »

Like I said, you just have to be willing to drive a little further.  Check Talbot county and you can still have access to the same rivers.

Thank you, I'll take a look.

Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »

I live in Dorchester. 2 miles from town.   1.5 acres of land on a hill top, but on the water.   3 bedroom rancher recently remodelled,  24' x 20' detached garage, in a very quiet neighborhood.  (5 houses)      I wish I could get $300k for it.  I keep holding on to it waiting for houses around here to catch up to everyone else.

RandJonthebay

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »

I live in Dorchester. 2 miles from town.   1.5 acres of land on a hill top, but on the water.   3 bedroom rancher recently remodelled,  24' x 20' detached garage, in a very quiet neighborhood.  (5 houses)      I wish I could get $300k for it.  I keep holding on to it waiting for houses around here to catch up to everyone else.

There's a hill in Dorchester Co. Huh?? I think you have the only one.  Grin

As nice as it would be to have a place on the Wye, it's not the only river with good crabbing. You can buy a number of houses under $300K in Dorchester Co. They may not be on the water but many are close. Dorchester Co. has a number of public ramps and they are all free. The Choptank and the Tred Avon are very good crabbing.

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 03:11:35 AM »

Buy a house on the water. You only live once. I have been living on the water 41 years in 2 different waterfront houses houses and couldn't live in a house that wasn't on the water anymore. Being close to the water ain't the same.If you can swing it. Do it. I would rather live in a shack on the water than a mansion off the water.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

I couldn't agree more Neither Crab.  Looks like Dorchester county pricing is more reasonable than Talbot county properties that are either close to or on the water.  Preferably, a property like Big Liar mentioned would be ideal.  Secluded with a few neighbors on the water and about an hour away from Annapolis.

At least my soon to be wife(Next Saturday) loves the idea of being on the water and eating fresh seafood but the real challenge will be getting the green light for my pipe dream.  Thanks Fellas!

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »

Lew Crab,You're doing OK if you can afford a waterfont in Annapolis. They charge by the "inch" in Annapolis for waterfront property.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »

I would have to millionaire to own waterfront property in Annapolis.  We are a modest couple living in a 2 bedroom Condo with two cats.  Which is why I need a spot for my make believe boat and crabbing dreams.  laugh laugh

Gary S

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »

I second or third, whatever, buying a house on the water not just near. As I type this I can look out the window at the canal about 15' from the back door and in the summer when the boats are in I can decide to put out a couple pots and 5 minutes later I'm in the skiff and motoring out. After an evening meal, often crabs, the wife and I can take a little boat cruise in the bigger fishing boat at a moments idea. If I had to go to a boat ramp it just wouldn't happen as often. Now I've owned boats since I was in my 20s and didn't get this waterfront property till I was in my 60s so I understand you do what you can.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home