September 19, 2018, 08:53:59 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Willing to be a SWEETHEART and Share a little ; )  (Read 1487 times)
CrabbinCrystal

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »

Hey Guys. Its Crystal. Im new to crabbing (last Summer was my first- and I fell in 💘 with it)... Anyway, after coming home from a vacation in Ocean City where I was first exposed to Crabbing, it took me nearly the rest of the Summer before I found a fairly reliable pier where I could go and actually catch enough for dinner (most times)... I live in the Baltimore City area. The only place I've found so far is Middle Branch Park (across from Harbor Hospital)... Anyone willing to share any of your spots with me where I may have some luck from a pier or shore as I don't own a boat? Specifically in the Dundalk, Baltimore City, Sparrows Point, Essex, or Middle River areas? I know a lot of people don't really like to share your "honeyholes," but your secret will be safe with me  singer...lol... Just looking to have more than one option as far as a good spot come crabbing time.... Thanks for any hints/tips!
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »

I would think fort smallwood park , possibly downs park or fort armistead might be decent places to go. Good luck
CrabbinCrystal

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I tried Ft Smallwood once with no luck at all... Another guy was also out there with like 15 metal traps off the pier. He struck out completely too but said he normally catches alot out there... Maybe it was just a bad day... Maybe worth another try... Never heard of Downs. I'll have to look into that one.... Ft Armistead would be the closest to me. Definitely heard of it but just havent gone out... Thanks.
'

MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »

I think you can also try around Hanover street bridge, if you can drive farther there is the old severn river bridge also. Ask some of the people you run into when you are out crabbing as well.
CrabbinCrystal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »

Is Hanover Street Bridge the same as the Veteran's Bridge? It seems those are sometimes used interchangeably by people... And it always confuses the [Sam Hill] out of me...

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »

Saw this online for Baltimore County. Maybe call and see if they let you crab off the pier. Just remember that crabbing in the Patapsco River can be tough in the early part of crab season. Most times, the catching starts to get good in July and after. Good luck.

Saw thishttp://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/Pages/central/northpoint.aspx
Rcr29kh1
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »

Is Hanover Street Bridge the same as the Veteran's Bridge? It seems those are sometimes used interchangeably by people... And it always confuses the [Sam Hill] out of me...

Yep, its the same bridge.  There's also a little landing you can crab from but I can't remember if it's on Hanover street side or the Potee street side.  Whatever one it is you can clearly see it from the road as you drive by
CrabbinCrystal

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »

Hey Evinrude.... Why do you say crabbing can be tough in the early crabbing season in the Patapsco?
Saw this online for Baltimore County. Maybe call and see if they let you crab off the pier. Just remember that crabbing in the Patapsco River can be tough in the early part of crab season. Most times, the catching starts to get good in July and after. Good luck.

Saw thishttp://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/Pages/central/northpoint.aspx
54bobby
Supporting Member

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:38:11 AM »

the crabs come out of the mud down south and migrate north. there will be some local crabs caught early but for the most part, you need to wait out the northern trek. hence the northern rivers don't usually produce till later on.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I tried Ft Smallwood once with no luck at all... Another guy was also out there with like 15 metal traps off the pier. He struck out completely too but said he normally catches alot out there... Maybe it was just a bad day... Maybe worth another try... Never heard of Downs. I'll have to look into that one.... Ft Armistead would be the closest to me. Definitely heard of it but just havent gone out... Thanks.
'

Wut choo mean 'Another Guy" Crystal?

soggybottomboyz

Obama STILL SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »

Shocked Shocked

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
CrabbinCrystal

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »

laugh laugh That was kinda weird how I said that... Just meant "a guy."
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »

That's better.
chesapeak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 09:31:20 PM »

All that area around the Sun building and where the cruise ships dock was about 70' deep back in the 80s when grain ships came in from all over the world. Thatarea used to be big heavy crabs. Also we would drive slow (in truck) to the end of a long dock trolling for rockfish.  Homeless people used to hang out crabbing from fells point all the way the Ft Mchenry catching crabs for diner 

I love the late summer and fall. We are over the hump now. Things start to slow down. The vacationers start to leave and traffic starts getting back to normal. The ducks are going to be coming in and the crabs are the biggest and heaviest of the year.
CrabbinCrystal

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »

Yeah, the place where I currently crab is not far from the cruise ship area... Not sure where you're talking about as far as the Sun building.... Im just trying to find or learn about a few other good spots in the Balt City, Dundalk, Sparrows Point, or Middle River areas where one can do ok from a pier or shore...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home