October 13, 2019, 11:19:52 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vacation Time 😀  (Read 1122 times)
Mag

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »

I wasnít sure where I should post this as itís going to be a little bit of everything.
After a winter Iíd like to forget the time had finally come for us to make our yearly trek south to Florida. Iím here mostly to visit my pop but I plan on shrimping every night, and getting in some surf fishing and crabbing during the day. I got everything figured out except when Iím going to sleep.
We arrived this morning after a 17 hour drive trailering my little boat. It was around 85 most of the day and right now Iím in oak hill anchored up and waiting for night. Itís an early tide but Iíll get about half of it under dark. The wind is blowing harder than they called for which is nothing new to us in jersey. But it is going against the tide which kinda sucks. I got plenty of dolphins and manatees out here to keep me company tonight.
This is going to be a semi live thread as Iíll post and get picks when I can.
Mag

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:01:08 AM »

Got a full pull tonight(5 gal bucket). For only a couple hours worth of the outgoing tide they ran pretty good. Most of the time they were coming in spurts of 2-3 at a time but I had a few times where 8-10 were bombing me at once. I was by myself tonight so Iíll get you guys a pic of my shrimp in the morning. I think the wife is joining me tomorrow night so hopefully we can get some action pics. Hereís a pic right at sundown while I waited for my first shrimp.
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »

Cool. I've seen videos of people doing it this way. Didn't believe it till I saw it. Yes please, live action pics would be awesome. And if you get too many shrimp let me know. rolleyes2

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »

Thanks for sharing, hope you have a memorable time. Good eats help out a lot.
Mag

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »

The size varied from small to jumbos.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »

NICE!!!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »

WTG , good job . those shrimp look GREAT , enjoy em

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »

Real NICE!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Mag

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »

Took the smaller shrimp to the beach today. I was reading reports of sea mullet, what we call kingfish at home, showing up in good numbers so I brought along two doz jumbo bloodworms from Home thinking I had the Bait of baits for em. They donít sell em down here. Never in my life would I have ever thought that a kingfish would turn his nose at a bloodworm but they wanted nothing to do with them.  The small shrimp was the go to baits. We fished for just a couple hours this morning and did ok. Hereís my pop with a nice little pompano.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »

stupid question - but are you simply "scooping" shrimp without the need for bait?

Mag

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »

Yup. Just standing in the boat listening to music, drinking a beer with one hand and dipping shrimp with the other as they glide by
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »

As simple as that, way to go, having a great vacation from what I see and read. Enjoy yourself.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »

that's so cool.  Action pics please.   Smiley
Mag

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »

Sorry for the late reply. It was a tough night out there last night. The wind was borderline for being out there and the chop makes it hard to see. But the hardest part was the catfish last night. They have a saltwater catfish here that loves light. Once a school finds your light they stack up on it by the hundreds and Black it out.  Thereís very little you can do to get away from them too. If thereís alot of boats in your area you share the load and itís not to bad. But if your the only guy around like me last night your screwed. I took my youngest son on his first trip and he still had a blast in those conditions. We managed half a 5 gal bucket last night.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

Having a good time is all that matters. Half a bucket is better then none at all. You steaming those shrimp or cooking another way?

Mag

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »

I like them steamed but I prefer them in a wok. Put in a little white wine, minced garlic, olive oil, and dill weed in there then only cook them until a minute or two then remove from heat and throw in a tray of ice cubes and stir until itís melted.
flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »

seen that before on another thread where you lower the green lights to the bottom and the shrimp will come up to the top so you just scoop them up. that is some nice brazilian brown shrimp
Mag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »

Yesterday was a bust. Got in the night before around 1:30 so I slept in and was lazy most of the day. The shrimping last night was a no go as well. I set up in my normal spot in a hard wind and fast tide. When the sun dropped I turned on the lights and the water was real murky. If the shrimp were more than a foot down you couldnít see them. Then the cats moved in. I stayed an hour then for a dozen shrimp and headed for the barn.
Today I plan on harassing some crabs. 😀 itís gonna be 86f here
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »

Look out Mag the front is headed your way.  86* yesterday.  Won't get out the 60's today.  Burrrrrrrr

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »

Hush up both of you. We aren't supposed to see 50F till next Friday Sad  As always, please take plenty of pictures. At least we can dream.  laugh

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home