April 23, 2018, 09:37:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the crab?  (Read 225 times)
shawnbeal7

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:44:39 PM »

Hi guys. I come to bolivar peninsula twice a year and always catch crab in the surf. They might be too small or have eggs but they'd at least be in the ring traps. In the last 4 days I've caught a dozen keepers and maybe 3 dozen total. Could anyone tell me what's going on? Or maybe a different spot? Tia!
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »

I think it is to early in the year for the surf. June and July is when I catch a lot of crabs in the surf. But almost all of them are sponge females.
shawnbeal7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:47 PM »

I was afraid of that.  Thank you
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

I usually buy La. crabmeat from my local seafood store by now but he said there is nothing coming from La. right now.
J-Philla

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:21:55 AM »

this last little cold front we had a couple weeks ago and now this weekends might have put a hold on them for a couple of days.  i was wacking them pretty good all the way up until this last set of fronts.  prior to the front they were in spawning mode and almost every female was under a jimmy, ive seen more sponge crab in my territory this year than ive seen in many a year.  hopefully this front was the last of the year, i.m tired of all this cold weather!!!!!!!

Capt. Josh

J-Philla

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:25:54 AM »

Hi guys. I come to bolivar peninsula twice a year and always catch crab in the surf. They might be too small or have eggs but they'd at least be in the ring traps. In the last 4 days I've caught a dozen keepers and maybe 3 dozen total. Could anyone tell me what's going on? Or maybe a different spot? Tia!

try to find you some shallower water, it'll warm up faster, and ive been catching nice crab right along the grassy shorelines.  try to find a tidal creek or a little cove that has access to the bayside, you'll prolly do better there than in the surf.

Capt. Josh
Chiprat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »

Hi  New to the site
We usually crab SLP  North Bay side.  but am thinking about 8 mile road and Park Rd 66   we will be down there in a week, any thoughts on my areas I'm planning?    Also, can you still crab by SLP Bridge, or do they not let you in the water at all.  thanks!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »

I took a drive yesterday in my area. About 100 miles to check out the size of the crabs. The areas all had crabs that were too small (4-5") except two areas where the crabs were good (6-7.5"). I didn't do any crabbing during my search; just looking and talking with crabbers.
Now that I know where to go I will try it myself on Tuesday or Wednesday. All this info goes into my database for the area.
What is interesting is that these good areas change year to year. What was good water last year at this time of year for bigger carbs this year only has smalls!  Very interesting indeed! This is the worst time of year for crabbing and finding good crabs. Literature studies say that large crabs don't move around too much but this is not what I am finding. Unless all the bigger males have been caught at these other sites?

I went back out on Wednesday and got just five crabs. They measured 6.5 to 7.5 inches. Success!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:50:13 PM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home