June 29, 2022, 08:53:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oak Hill 4-18  (Read 1504 times)
booman17

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:47:59 AM »

I decided to head out to Oak Hill for my first time.  I started at River Breeze park at approx 8:00am.  When I arrived the tide was fully out and the water was very shallow.  I was using 4 ring nets and chicken backs as bait.  I tried both ends of the dock for about and hour on each end.  I netted 18 crabs with only two being keepers.  After two hours I drove down to the pier by Goodrich's as I have heard good things about that spot on this forum.  I again dropped four ring traps this time using chicken necks.  I stayed there for about 2.5 hours netting 13 very nice size keeper males.  It was a very warm day, the car said 90 degrees when I left.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »

Thanks for the report and pictures! You did better than I did! I was going to check in at Goodriches on my way back about 3 pm but I was too beat! I think I am done using necks. They just don't seem to attract the crabs.
What were the size of the crabs you got at Goodriches? A month ago they were only 4 inches!

Retired in paradise!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:30:45 AM »

WTG , they look good , nice pics

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »

Nice looking crabs. Way to go. Is that 1st picture with the crabs before steaming?
booman17

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »

Yes it was before steaming them with a bit of Old Bay

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »

Bet they tasted good. Have a great season.
booman17

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »

They did thank you.  You as well!
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »

Very nice, crabs look good
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:19:34 AM »

I spent 4 weeks at Oak Hill Fish Camp in February 13 &14 . 2 weeks each February. During February the crabbing was disappointing . I watched the Commercials run their pots from a scope from my porch every day. They had from o-3 crabs per pot . Mostly small females .  The fishing wasn't great either on the Mosquito Lagoon. I fished with a guide that took me over to the Indian River Lagoon and showed me an isolated place to fish where we caught small Tarpon, Red fish, Trout and Snook. I did better there in a Kayak the rest of my stay. We also fished all day on the Mosquito for 2 Redfish (legal) If the Fishing, crabbing, shrimping , and clamming were better I would have bought a winter get away there. Fishing bait was expensive there compared to Maryland. Bull minnows,  $6 dozen  compared to $5.50 a half pint here. Maybe 100 minnows. Female hard crabs , small , $2 each. Other than that , real estate , groceries etc. are reasonable there if you like a crowd. I ate at Good Ritche's  quite a bit. Mullet & eggs for breakfast ant their dinner fish fry was good. Maybe January & February aren't good months there?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:32:17 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

Thanks for an interesting winter report for the Oak Hill area. I had friends down from CT and MD for the winter and they were disappointed this winter also. Too cold and windy. I went surf fishing one day with one of them and got only small Whiting and Catfish. The other fell did well with Sheepshead one day. We went out another day for clams and Oysters. Did well with the Oysters but got "O" clams up in the Edgewater area on the east side by JB's! We did OK with crabs this winter but you have to look hard to find decent ones. All the crabs in the intercoastal appear to be mostly females. The only good reports I have had were for Black Drum at Haulover.       Neither Crab I sent you a pm.

Retired in paradise!

saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »

I spent 4 weeks at Oak Hill Fish Camp in February 13 &14 . 2 weeks each February. During February the crabbing was disappointing . I watched the Commercials run their pots from a scope from my porch every day. They had from o-3 crabs per pot . Mostly small females .  The fishing wasn't great either on the Mosquito Lagoon. I fished with a guide that took me over to the Indian River Lagoon and showed me an isolated place to fish where we caught small Tarpon, Red fish, Trout and Snook. I did better there in a Kayak the rest of my stay. We also fished all day on the Mosquito for 2 Redfish (legal) If the Fishing, crabbing, shrimping , and clamming were better I would have bought a winter get away there. Fishing bait was expensive there compared to Maryland. Bull minnows,  $6 dozen  compared to $5.50 a half pint here. Maybe 100 minnows. Female hard crabs , small , $2 each. Other than that , real estate , groceries etc. are reasonable there if you like a crowd. I ate at Good Ritche's  quite a bit. Mullet & eggs for breakfast ant their dinner fish fry was good. Maybe January & February aren't good months there?

if you are disappointed w/ the Oak Hill area, I'd recommend you save your time looking elsewhere....you'll REALLY be disappointed..
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »

if you are disappointed w/ the Oak Hill area, I'd recommend you save your time looking elsewhere....you'll REALLY be disappointed..
That's what the guide I fished with told me who fished red fish tournaments  . He said go to Louisianna .You'll never come back to Florida. Much better. I used to fish Stuart when the Sail Fishing was good in a stiff Nor Easter during winter and Tarpon at 80 Marine, Fort Lauderdale.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:35:22 PM by Neither Crab » Logged
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 05:28:22 AM »

Another couple staying there from Canada that come down every year said it was good years ago but fishing has fallen off. They said this would be their last winter spent there. I kept in touch with the guy and he bought a fish camp house boat in Venice La. and he said the  fishing was great there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home