July 03, 2020, 05:42:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Quite Sure Where to Start...  (Read 828 times)
Uncle Nicky

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to the forum, and mostly new to crabbing. Looking for any advice or pointers. Right now I'm assuming most crabbing I'll do will be in NJ, since I live in Philly suburbs.

I've only crabbed a couple times before, but not new to fishing, hunting, or the outdoors.

I have the desire, but so far that is it. For someone new, would I be better off buying some traps of my own, or just renting them at the bait store? Also, I do have a small boat and and 5HP motor (no trailer, they fit in back of my truck); would it be easier in the long run to just rent a boat each time I go out, or take my own? Is a 5 HP motor sufficient? Also, I have a small mushroom anchor, is this going to hold tight in tidal areas, or...?? Also, do I need a separate license & boat registration to run a small boat in NJ, or is my PA registration sufficient?

As far as spots, I really have no clue, other than internet searching so far. Cumberland County/Fortescue/Dividing Creek is closest to me. I'm planning to go to Beaver Dam this Sunday coming up, I know the area pretty well since I hunt there and my wife has family in the area, I spoke with the owner a couple months ago (they are the wild turkey check-in station also), and he gave me a pretty good idea what to expect. My wife was supposed to come along, but bailed due to the hot weather expected, so I'm flying solo. Should be interesting.  juggle Are there better spots around? (I see a lot of boat rentals closer to shore towns).

Also, summer is usually a pretty slow time for me, most weekends I don't have much planned, so if anybody wants to hook up some time, feel free to send me a PM, or e-mail me at [email protected]. I'd be more than obliged to help with any and all expenses.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Uncle Nicky
houndlvr1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »

Hey. I crab solo...nothing to it. I own 8 box traps. I use chicken legs or backs. Typically I crab from piers but use drop lines if boating. You can find lots of info here so just search a specific topic...you'll be on your way. Ps beaver dam is just fine. Have fun
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »

Good luck , have a great time

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »

Really depends on how often, and where.  If you go often (which you will once you get the crabbing bug   Smiley  ). It will be more economical to buy instead of rent.  You already have a boat, might as well use it.  Some ramps have long waiting lines so you have to take that into consideration too.  You can buy chicken necks in bulk, and freeze them. (provide you don't get you wife mad by using the freezer in the    kitchen.   laugh )

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
philfalato

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 06:33:56 AM »

Well? Where is your report? Are you hooked? Have you gone out again? I live in Green Lane, about 20 minutes off the first exit on the NE extension.. and crab mostly in Seaside & Toms River area..

Uncle Nicky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »

Well? Where is your report? Are you hooked? Have you gone out again? I live in Green Lane, about 20 minutes off the first exit on the NE extension.. and crab mostly in Seaside & Toms River area..

I'm working on getting my boat safety certificate now, once I have that I have a couple spots I'd like to try over in Cumberland county. I also picked up 1/2 a dozen 2-door traps.

I've been out twice so far, once to Beaver Dam and once to Toms River (rented a boat both times). Both days I just managed to get 2 dozen to take home, that's throwing all the females back and keeping none smaller than 5". I fished pretty hard, 7 AM-3 PM both times, using bunker & chicken drumsticks. Both times I caught a ton of undersized crabs.

I was going to try Matts Landing this weekend, but after I heard about the one fella getting sick there, I backed down.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting back out in August & September, from what I'm told the crabs are usually bigger that time of year. I don't need a bushel, but was hoping to do a little better. chef
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:44:24 AM by Uncle Nicky » Logged
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »

Go to Bayville rent a boat and you will do well with both traps and lines.  Not far from the place.   Off the telephone a few hundred feet off land  has traditionally been a producer. 

I'm working on getting my boat safety certificate now, once I have that I have a couple spots I'd like to try over in Cumberland county I'd like to try. I also picked up 1/2 a dozen 2-door traps.

I've been out twice so far, once to Beaver Dam and once to Toms River (rented a boat both times). Both days I just managed to get 2 dozen to take home, that's throwing all the females back and keeping none smaller than 5". I fished pretty hard, 7 AM-3 PM both times, using bunker & chicken drumsticks. Both times I caught a ton of undersized crabs.

I was going to try Matts Landing this weekend, but after I heard about the one fella getting sick there, I backed down.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting back out in August & September, from what I'm told the crabs are usually bigger that time of year. I don't need a bushel, but was hoping to do a little better. chef

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home