November 20, 2019, 01:09:05 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Questions for seasoned crabbers re: Topless & Twisting (Sounds like a b movie)  (Read 308 times)
houndlvr1

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »

Hi!!
I've been using standard box traps or drop lines forever with either chicken or bunker (recreational crabbing only) and on these boards I keep seeing guys using topless traps (topless must be attractive to you men out there LOL).  And it got this girl wondering...

I am considering purchasing 4 or 5 topless traps to save room transporting but don't get the purpose of the pool noodle other than it being a marker, which I know is beneficial if you are leaving them soak (which I won't be).

I remember seeing a snap trap called Crab Alert that sends a float ring to the top when a crab is in the cage but think those are illegal and doubt that's the purpose of the almighty pool noodle Smiley

Second question - Has anyone found a way to keep their rope from twisting where the center knot is?  It drives me nuts. I was thinking of putting some kind of spinner there or even running the center line through something like a metal macramé loop to keep it from doing that but I know someone out there is smarter than me and has a solution.

Thank you all Smiley   gorgeous
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »

I use both topped and topless traps for years but never had that spinner problem you have?  What kind of main line do you have?  I use 1/4inch three strand nylon.

And yes they do store much more efficiently.  The noodles or floats are for jugging.  There is no need for any floats if crabbing anchored.

Hi!!
I've been using standard box traps or drop lines forever with either chicken or bunker (recreational crabbing only) and on these boards I keep seeing guys using topless traps (topless must be attractive to you men out there LOL).  And it got this girl wondering...

I am considering purchasing 4 or 5 topless traps to save room transporting but don't get the purpose of the pool noodle other than it being a marker, which I know is beneficial if you are leaving them soak (which I won't be).

I remember seeing a snap trap called Crab Alert that sends a float ring to the top when a crab is in the cage but think those are illegal and doubt that's the purpose of the almighty pool noodle Smiley

Second question - Has anyone found a way to keep their rope from twisting where the center knot is?  It drives me nuts. I was thinking of putting some kind of spinner there or even running the center line through something like a metal macramé loop to keep it from doing that but I know someone out there is smarter than me and has a solution.

Thank you all Smiley   gorgeous

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
pep792

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »

Topless traps are so much easier. Just remember when you pull them up pull them up fast.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »

Crab traps should be like women, topless.  (well not all women....Hillary Clinton and Rosey O'donnel for example... laugh)

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home